Gap Year Thread 2018/19 Watch

SB44336
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi

I spontaneously took a gap year since clearing didn't go too well. I wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else is in the same position as me?

What are you currently doing?
Any interesting plans?
Thoughts/feelings?
What course are you applying/reapplying for?

1. I am currently looking for jobs, sat at home doing my UCAS application and revising for my resit for chemistry
2. I have a week work experience and have a weekend planned away at my friends uni but nothing like travelling.
3. So far I hate it. I hate being at home whilst my friends are all at uni
4. Either physiotherapy or medical biochem
willsp8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey I took a gap year because I felt like I wasnt ready for uni. Got better grades than I was expecting in my exams aswell so thought maybe apply for a higher grade course? Probably just sticking with what I've got because Liverpool gave me a deferred place for september 2019 and its a good uni in a cool city with good accom.

1. Got a job at WHSmiths part time and mostly thinking about what I want to do with my year off. Also trying to learn german when I'm bored lol
2. Got some plans coming up for halloween and birthdays and taking a trip to London to stay with my sis but still trying to figure out where I want to travel and trying to find someone to go with
3. Its ok because alot of people I know are on a gap year but no one I can travel with
4. Psychology at uni of liverpool
LaTruite
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello! Wasn't feeling ready to move from my home country to the UK yet, so I deferred my place.

1. Working part time, learning a new language and improving my English skills. Spending time with friends when they're not at uni
2. I really want to go backpacking, but I'm not sure yet.
3. It's nice to take some time off school, but I'm stressed because I want to go traveling but I suck at saving up money... Feel like I should do some volunteering abroad but that's seriously expensive as well. Idk...
4. I have a deferred place for Landscape at Sheffield for September 2019
holr21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey I took a gap year because I didn't feel ready for uni and wanted a break from school work and exams.
1. Working weekdays in a cafe, learning to drive, taking evening classes and trying to catch up with friends when they're not busy with uni or work
2. Got plans to travel to NZ to see family and volunteer abroad for a few weeks in 2019
3. Its good so far but I feel like I have to keep busy so I don't get bored and dreading having to work full time in summer so I'm not broke when I start uni
4. Geography / anthropology
EmCharles
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I took a gap year because my school gave me very low predicted grades, so I didn't apply until I got my grades, along with a few of my friends.
1. I am currently working part time in a kitchen and I'm learning to drive. I want to travel but funds are low due to the cost of having a car, so I am just saving money this year. I work 16 hours a week and half of my monthly pay check goes onto the car.
1b. Very few places want to hire gap year students. I might see about applying to supermarkets like Aldi so I can take a job with me next year, but that seems unlikely.
2. I might need to start revising before I go to uni in September... I'm already feeling rusty on parts of my A levels. Tbf I don't mind doing that, I have to revise the stuff I liked soooo... Other than that I have no big plans.
3. The bordom is killing me! All I do is work, eat and sleep. Mostly eat and sleep. My friends are all working or at uni, so I never see them.
4. Animal Science =)
Last edited by EmCharles; 2 months ago
{Julia}
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SB44336)
Hi

I spontaneously took a gap year since clearing didn't go too well. I wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else is in the same position as me?

Any interesting plans?
Thoughts/feelings?

1. I am currently looking for jobs, sat at home doing my UCAS application and revising for my resit for chemistry
2. I have a week work experience and have a weekend planned away at my friends uni but nothing like travelling.

Hey there, I am also on a gap year. I went to clearing and got an offer, but because I am an international Student (and I took my A-Levels online), I didn't get my paperwork and visa in time.

1.Currently I am doing things I never had time do whilst I was studying, e.g. practicing piano.

2. Yes I do! I am going to visit my family in the USA for the Holidays in exactly two weeks.

3. Yeah sometimes it gets a bit boring, but so far it is bearable. But then, who cares if you enter University and start working a year later? Better enjoy free time while we have it

4. Since I was offered a place at NTU for Maths, but didn't get in this year, they were so nice to give me an unconditional offer for next year.
NoorKhan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SB44336)
Hi

Any interesting plans?
Thoughts/feelings?

Hey,
I moved to Dubai last year and couldn't find or was not in a position to find a university to study at, so I took a gap year. It was pretty relaxing though now that admissions are still back on I'm bit worried and stressed up as to how it might go. Got my fingers crossed.

1. Well I'm sitting at home and shortlisting universities, Preferring UK based.
2. Well apart from dealing with admissions process I have taken up a challenge of reading atleast 50 books this year so engrossed in that.
3. I'm kinda tensed of what it'll be in a few moths once I join A uni. Dunno about the study culture and all here. So, in a bit of a fix.
4. Im hunting for computer science or maybe mechanical whichever I find more promising here.
EmCharles
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well it's the new year, and I hate my job. Just about earning enough to pay my car insurance, as my hours have been cut.
I've got basically no chance of finding another job, but I may apply to aldi or asda ect. I want a secure job at uni, for at least 2 years...
I have passed my driving test now. Fun!
I may go see some family and friends in February/ March. It just depends on money, I guess.
How are your applications going?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19

Do you give blood?