The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A Week in the Life: LSE edition

Scroll to see replies

RamlakU
I sense some George IV Guinness bonding!

On a more shocking note, it's actually a she!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 181
The Edwinnator
On a more shocking note, it's actually a she!

Yeah, a quick little Moodle stalk unveiled that fairly unexpected fact earlier today as well - scary!
RamlakU
Yeah, a quick little Moodle stalk unveiled that fairly unexpected fact earlier today as well - scary!

I've not heard the Guinness thing first hand mind you. But lets just say my source is very reliable. Was pretty difficult keeping a straight face in classes after that....
Not long till I can write in this thread..... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :smile:
oliver5084
Not long till I can write in this thread..... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :smile:

Bloody fresher...shoo!
The Edwinnator
Bloody fresher...shoo!

Ah your just jealous :wink:
Reply 186
The Edwinnator
227 is a living, breathing and walking disaster. Just don't. Strange course run by strange people. So little content they have to stretch it to fit, and tack on an utterly useless research project at the end. And don't get me started on the teaching.....

What?? Are you serious?

Hmm..any more info on 227 that you have for me? Im not sure now..
Reply 187
even right outside LSE door are full of marzist activitists

this is MUCH BETTER Than the next door so called college KCL --- king is full of religious extremist insides, staff and students

hindu, catholic , muslim and islamic try to do bullying battle daily in kings'

wonder why black and international students still go to kings , what kind of crappy college is it !! indeed
Reply 188
charvo

this is MUCH BETTER Than the next door so called college KCL --- king is full of religious extremist insides, staff and students

wonder why black and international students still go to kings , what kind of crappy college is it !! indeed

:troll:
Postgrad profile

Monday - Class at 5-6pm

Tuesday - Class at 3-4pm

Wednesday - Class at 12-1pm, Class at 3-4pm

Thursday - Free

Friday - Class 10am-12pm, Class at 2-3pm

So very low class contact time and some tutorials (but not completely fixed). On average it'd be around 8-12 hours per week. I took 3 modules per term, which translated to around 3-4 readings per class, plus tutorials and around 2 non-assessed essays per class. On top of this I had 1 assessed essay worth around 25% of the grade. End of the year had 5 exams plus a 10,000 word dissertation to hand in.

Weekends - I spent working part time (both days)

Weekdays - I worked part time here but very early (6am-12pm) in media. Irregular hours, non-fixed.

Most evenings I was out for dinner or drinks with friends, which is what most postgrads do. Other than that, clubbing, drinks, eating out or going to random events/public lectures and playing sport took up most of my time. Ontop of the whole applying/interviewing for jobs and getting academic work done.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 190
The Edwinnator
227 is a living, breathing and walking disaster. Just don't. Strange course run by strange people. So little content they have to stretch it to fit, and tack on an utterly useless research project at the end. And don't get me started on the teaching.....

Probably going to take this - any suggestions/advise?? :o:
Vesta
Probably going to take this - any suggestions/advise?? :o:

It's actually improved this year by all accounts, Mark Thatcher (not that one) is taking all of it and it should prove to be far more cohesive (rather like GV101 is now that Hix is doing it all).

I do hope so at any rate, I'm taking it...

:o:
Reply 192
Original post by KyriakosCy
Is there any boxing club?

hey dude, i saw u got ur offer! dream come true?
Reply 193
Original post by The Sherminator
Aye.

Just wondering, do u do acc and fin?
Hi I'm international (don't want to say which race or nationality or whatever lol) and in for Economics and Economic History. I'm a really social person and I just have a few minor concerns. I know people make out LSE to be this antisocial reclusive place, but I have friends there so I know that's not true and that it depends on you entirely, but are the people nice? As long as the people are fine, I don't think making friends will be a problem.
The other thing is, do the different nationalities/races really stick together in little cliques? For most people, that might be comforting, but I'd rather have a culturally diverse group as opposed to just people from my country. Is this true or do people actually mix quite freely?
Sorry if these questions sound retarded, I just wanted to take the opportunity to ask current LSE undergrads :smile:
Original post by The Sherminator
A first.

haha :biggrin: because you work so hard sher, i always see you in the library...
:wink:
Original post by charvo

Second this...poly on the strand
:eek:
Reply 197
more please...
Well as I remember wondering after I got my offer WHY IS THERE NO LAW WEEK, and not being bothered enough to look back through and trying to procrastinate from revision, I shall do a first year law one, using the timetable we have / had.

Monday - Criminal Lecture 10-11, Public class 11-12, (LSE 100 Lecture 12-2 Lent term), criminal class 3-4, Public lecture 4-5.

So Monday was obviously my worst day of the week and was pretty intense with the inclusion of LSE100 in lent term swallowing up my gap where I used to do the reading for the criminal class. LSE100 is half interesting, half mind numbing, 95% useless. Plus the essay submitted before Easter for it is the biggest waste of revision time imaginable. Monday night (living at Rosebery) we always went to the pub for 'TEQUILA MONDAY', as the owner of the pub behind the Sadlers Wells loved us and gave us copious amounts of free booze. Or if we wanted to go out - Tiger Tiger.

Tuesday - Obligations lecture 10-11, Criminal lecture 1-2, obligations lecture 3-4, (Property class 5-6 Lent Term)

While not as bad as Monday, this was just as bad with all the short gaps meaning you can't really go to the library and get any work done. The Property class from 5-6 was only in the second term, as its the second of the two half modules (The first being Introduction to the Legal System). Again, usually the pub if we felt shattered, though we went to Pacha in Freshers and it was crap.

Wednesday - Public Lecture 12-1.

I'm lazy and do no sport, so Wednesday is a 'free day' apart from the one hour. In the first term I slept in till 11 and spent the afternoon doing nothing / boozing. In Lent term with more work I'd go in at 10ish to do work and come home around 5. Fun Fun. Surprisingly, compared to the rest of LSE, we never really go out on a Wednesday.

Thursday (11-1 Introduction to the Legal System Michaelmas term/ Property Lent term). Obligations Class 4-5
Two hour over lunch is an absolute killer, though the ILS lecturer is amazing and the property lecturer used to finished not long after an hour. The gap is usually good to get all my obligations readings done for the afternoon. Thursday nights are usually Roxy or Punk, both in the Tottenham Court/ Oxford Street Area. An acquired taste, but I love them dearly.

Friday. (LSE 100 Class 12-1 Lent Term) (2-3 ILS Class Michaelmas Term).

I love Fridays. Again, like Wednesdays, in first term I spent them in bed, in second I got up early to go in and as all my friends finished at 6, I'd work until then. Friday nights out

Saturday - Our group do no work whatsoever. It's a day to do cultural things and get hammered at night.

Sunday morning - get over the hangover, and then Sunday afternoon - the most soul destroying - going to the LSE library... :frown: :frown:

Good grades. Social Life. Sleep. Choose two. I don't sleep much.
Reply 199
Original post by xrxyxaxnx

Original post by xrxyxaxnx
Well as I remember wondering after I got my offer WHY IS THERE NO LAW WEEK, and not being bothered enough to look back through and trying to procrastinate from revision, I shall do a first year law one, using the timetable we have / had.

Monday - Criminal Lecture 10-11, Public class 11-12, (LSE 100 Lecture 12-2 Lent term), criminal class 3-4, Public lecture 4-5.

So Monday was obviously my worst day of the week and was pretty intense with the inclusion of LSE100 in lent term swallowing up my gap where I used to do the reading for the criminal class. LSE100 is half interesting, half mind numbing, 95% useless. Plus the essay submitted before Easter for it is the biggest waste of revision time imaginable. Monday night (living at Rosebery) we always went to the pub for 'TEQUILA MONDAY', as the owner of the pub behind the Sadlers Wells loved us and gave us copious amounts of free booze. Or if we wanted to go out - Tiger Tiger.

Tuesday - Obligations lecture 10-11, Criminal lecture 1-2, obligations lecture 3-4, (Property class 5-6 Lent Term)

While not as bad as Monday, this was just as bad with all the short gaps meaning you can't really go to the library and get any work done. The Property class from 5-6 was only in the second term, as its the second of the two half modules (The first being Introduction to the Legal System). Again, usually the pub if we felt shattered, though we went to Pacha in Freshers and it was crap.

Wednesday - Public Lecture 12-1.

I'm lazy and do no sport, so Wednesday is a 'free day' apart from the one hour. In the first term I slept in till 11 and spent the afternoon doing nothing / boozing. In Lent term with more work I'd go in at 10ish to do work and come home around 5. Fun Fun. Surprisingly, compared to the rest of LSE, we never really go out on a Wednesday.

Thursday (11-1 Introduction to the Legal System Michaelmas term/ Property Lent term). Obligations Class 4-5
Two hour over lunch is an absolute killer, though the ILS lecturer is amazing and the property lecturer used to finished not long after an hour. The gap is usually good to get all my obligations readings done for the afternoon. Thursday nights are usually Roxy or Punk, both in the Tottenham Court/ Oxford Street Area. An acquired taste, but I love them dearly.

Friday. (LSE 100 Class 12-1 Lent Term) (2-3 ILS Class Michaelmas Term).

I love Fridays. Again, like Wednesdays, in first term I spent them in bed, in second I got up early to go in and as all my friends finished at 6, I'd work until then. Friday nights out

Saturday - Our group do no work whatsoever. It's a day to do cultural things and get hammered at night.

Sunday morning - get over the hangover, and then Sunday afternoon - the most soul destroying - going to the LSE library... :frown: :frown:

Good grades. Social Life. Sleep. Choose two. I don't sleep much.

sounds like the law people have their own way of life..... is it true? r u guys different from the rest?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending