The Student Room Group

Refusal from University of Groningen

Hi all,
I have a pretty unique situation going on right now so hear me out. I did IB in 11th grade but I had to move to Germany and attend an international school. The new school didn't have most of my IB classes so I opted to do the school's high school diploma (which isn't accredited). Thankfully I got into a college in the USA but after planning to return for my 2nd year my visa wasn't renewed. Now I'm taking a year off to apply to other schools, so I applied to the University of Groningen.
I heard back from University of Groningen today and I was told that my High School Diploma isn't recognized and I can't be admitted to the school. I applied for the History degree which isn't supposed to be selective but still, I wasn't admitted.
My grades during my final year of high school were low, since the school was a new environment to me and the classes I took followed a different syllabus order from what I did before. However my gpa in the first year of University was quite good (3.5).
Are there any options available to me? I want to start university soon since I'm already behind my peers now but I also don't want to retake my high school classes. I also would want to go to a good school and not settle for anything low since I believe I am a quite able student.
Any help would be appreciated!

Quick Reply