The Student Room Group

PGCE personal statement help

So I’ve had the go ahead that I could apply for my PGCE before doing my Maths and Science equivalency and could just put expected grades in! Also told that Ofsted removed the requirement of experience so I could apply with my experience from 2008-10. This is a relief as due to my current work schedule I don’t really have the time for new work experience! I was freaking over this. I am aware my application may not be amazing or perfect or strong for that matter but I am confident my past experiences gained and my passion for teaching should be sufficient?

Now my worry is my personal statement! I actually have no idea as to what to include AT ALL. Can I somehow include transferable skills from my current job?! If there is any - I’m a student support worker at University and work 1:1 with additional needs students.

I have my work experience from 2008-2010 during my college BTEC course so I will definitely still talk about that but not sure what exactly to include and as it has been SO long I definitely feel a bit blank and weak in anything I’m potentially ‘meant’ to know and talk about.

Any advice would be great as I want to make my personal statement as good as I can considering there will be students with more experience and knowledge than me!!!
Have a look in my signature below - there's an article on writing teaching PSs :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Have a look in my signature below - there's an article on writing teaching PSs :smile:

Sorry how do I find it?! I’m new to this don’t really know what’s what! Is there a thread I can look out for??
Original post by AH91
Sorry how do I find it?! I’m new to this don’t really know what’s what! Is there a thread I can look out for??

Signatures are the bit that appear at the end of a post, but I don't think they show on the app. The guidance is here
Reply 4
Original post by Interrobang
Signatures are the bit that appear at the end of a post, but I don't think they show on the app. The guidance is here

That’s amazing!! Thank you!! Do you think it’s ok I draw up on my experience in a school from 2008-2010 and link everything to back then or will this be a downside as it’s old and irrelevant?! Could I instead make up for this by maybe bringing in things from current teaching I’m aware of etc too so do my research to show I am aware and up to date even though my experience isn’t recent. Could I also transfer skills from my current job?

I don’t have any free days for recent work experience the most I could do is a few hours one morning but I wouldn’t want to delay my application either by waiting to do this for a few weeks etc. - just a thought if I went in for an observation for one day and then included that would that be of any benefit or would it not make much difference so I should just go with what I’ve got? Considering finding somewhere to go to and having DBS sorted etc would also add to the length of this process.

I was told by the head of department at the uni I want to apply to that the experience part is not required anymore only reccomended but then I heard it would be hard to get a place without recent experience - If that’s the case I don’t get why they removed it as a requirement.
It's a difficult one to know - school has changed a reasonable amount since then in some ways. How much can you remember of your previous experience (details - things like planning and differentiation, behaviour management, teaching styles/approaches etc.)? You may be able to get away with it, but you do have to put the dates on the application AFAIK.

Quick Reply

Latest