Exoy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey guys..
So i did my university applications which include Cambridge and Imperial for Compsci. And i feel like i overestimated myself.. although i did get 3 As from AS level i still think i am not a genius and am pretty sure the people who go to these universities are way better than me. I shouldnt have applied to them in the first place. Do you guys agree?
del1rious
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Do you have a “back up” option at all or did all of them have the same entry requirements? It’s good to have a fail safe.
Exoy
Rep:
?
Yes i do have other unis with lower entry requirements
Exoy
Rep:
?
Dont get me wrong i dont think the problem is the entry requirements but the fact that only actually genius people go to these universities..
isiaiah d
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Exoy)
Hey guys..
So i did my university applications which include Cambridge and Imperial for Compsci. And i feel like i overestimated myself.. although i did get 3 As from AS level i still think i am not a genius and am pretty sure the people who go to these universities are way better than me. I shouldnt have applied to them in the first place. Do you guys agree?
what where you predicted? do you find your subjects easy/are you one of the best in your classes? Cambridge is a hopeful choice to most people applying
Exoy
Rep:
?
I am one of the best in most of my classes but unfortunately not the best.. i talked with the headmaster before applying and he said that i should with the grades i had so i did. But now that i most of the people who go to cambridge have like 4 A levels with all A*s they are genius.. i only have 3 a levels
Exoy
Rep:
?
Now that i know*
isiaiah d
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Exoy)
I am one of the best in most of my classes but unfortunately not the best.. i talked with the headmaster before applying and he said that i should with the grades i had so i did. But now that i most of the people who go to cambridge have like 4 A levels with all A*s they are genius.. i only have 3 a levels
nobody is really likely to get into Cambridge but it's worth a shot for most applicants including you, having 3 A-Levels doesn't mean you won't still have a chance.

Imperial is more realistic (if your predicted are above or the same as their entry requirements). You just have to prepare for your interview.
p4ttiscialfa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Exoy)
I wouldn't worry about not having four A Levels - there are very few, if any, universities that favour four as the standard is now to do three. I wouldn't worry about not being a genius - sure, some people will be, but plenty of people who apply to those universities are perfectly normal. They don't look only for people with incredible academic attainment but people with personality who would work well with the style of teaching.
BFG9000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Exoy)
Hey guys..

google impostor syndrome
Bogotá
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by p4ttiscialfa)
I wouldn't worry about not having four A Levels - there are very few, if any, universities that favour four as the standard is now to do three. I wouldn't worry about not being a genius - sure, some people will be, but plenty of people who apply to those universities are perfectly normal. They don't look only for people with incredible academic attainment but people with personality who would work well with the style of teaching.
I’m sorry, fully disagree with you there. These unis will 100% prefer candidates with 4 A-levels, which is understandable. OP - unless you got almost full marks in all 3 AS’ it is unlikely. Also make sure you are good in an interview if you get one and you have extra stuff in your personal statement
isiaiah d
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Bogotá)
I’m sorry, fully disagree with you there. These unis will 100% prefer candidates with 4 A-levels, which is understandable. OP - unless you got almost full marks in all 3 AS’ it is unlikely. Also make sure you are good in an interview if you get one and you have extra stuff in your personal statement
what's unlikely? loads of unis have said they have no preference when it comes to 4 or 3 A-levels. loads of people get into both with 3 a levels
Bogotá
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by isiaiah d)
what's unlikely? loads of unis have said they have no preference when it comes to 4 or 3 A-levels. loads of people get into both with 3 a levels
Of course the Uni’s say that because then they get accused of discriminating against state schools which only typically allow students to take 3 A Levels. Not rocket science, also not rocket science to see that they will favour 4. Other students are working 75% as hard
isiaiah d
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Of course the Uni’s say that because then they get accused of discriminating against state schools which only typically allow students to take 3 A Levels. Not rocket science, also not rocket science to see that they will favour 4. Other students are working 75% as hard
ok, mate I'm sure taking your word for that would be better than just listening to what the unis actually say.
Exoy
Rep:
?
(Original post by BFG9000)
google impostor syndrome
I might actually have that
Bogotá
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by isiaiah d)
ok, mate I'm sure taking your word for that would be better than just listening to what the unis actually say.
It’s well known I’m afraid, by people with 4 A Levels. (I’m doing 3 but lots of friends and my sis doing 4). Just think about it, obviously they favour 4.
isiaiah d
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It’s well known I’m afraid, by people with 4 A Levels. (I’m doing 3 but lots of friends and my sis doing 4). Just think about it, obviously they favour 4.
and have you actually applied to uni? doing 4 a-level doesn't make you qualified enough to dismiss what the people actually judging your applications are saying.

3 A-Levels will always be enough and you aren't unlikely to get into Imperial if you don't have near full marks in all 3 AS subjects especially considering A-Levels are linear now.
Stressed dad
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Actually if you follow the threads which are run by the Cambridge colleges you will see that they often advise students to concentrate on their best three A Levels rather than overstretch by doing four or more.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Stressed dad)
Actually if you follow the threads which are run by the Cambridge colleges you will see that they often advise students to concentrate on their best three A Levels rather than overstretch by doing four or more.
And the Oxford equivalent. Some people here are talking *******s.
p4ttiscialfa
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm applying to some of these unis for maths, I've been to many open days and talked to many admissions officers and all have said there is no expectation for four a levels and students with four aren't preferred.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads