The Student Room Group

Am i overestimating myself?

Scroll to see replies

Not sure why this is underlined but meh...

You can all keep saying these points and not reading mine, that’s fine it doesn’t effect me. My point is that yes. They say they don’t care so they aren’t discriminating, but it doesn’t take a genius to realise that they will much prefer a 4 A level candidate than a 3 A level candidate. Yes, you can obviously get in with 3 but you won’t be as strong as someone with AN EXTRA A LEVEL...and to whoever said about people stretching themselves, most people that get into Oxbridge would be capable of doing 4. It’s like their entry requirements - it may say like A*AA Or whatever, but in relaisty most applicants get better. Speaking from experience, won’t go I to detail because I don’t want freaky TSR people knocking at my door. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Reply 21
i know Cambridge and imperial dont consider GCSEs but what were your GCSEs
Original post by Exoy
I might actually have that

It's really common.
Reply 23
Original post by Omar675
i know Cambridge and imperial dont consider GCSEs but what were your GCSEs

My IGCSEs are 5 A*s and 1 A
Reply 24
Original post by BFG9000
google impostor syndrome

^this.

And nearly everyone at Oxbridge thinks this, especially at the start. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Bogotá
but it doesn’t take a genius to realise that they will much prefer a 4 A level candidate than a 3 A level candidate.

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Exoy
My IGCSEs are 5 A*s and 1 A

I know people are sharing their opinions and some I note say 'experience', but I can only speak from our family experience.

Our son applied to Cambridge for 2015 entry, coming from a state school (comprehensive) that rarely sends students to Oxbridge. He applied with three A-Levels.

At the interview, he encountered people who were undertaking 4-A levels as well as many who were taking 3 A-Levels. He thought that they were 'all amazingly intelligent'.

He thought the interviews were tough and felt really pushed. He came out of his second one telling me that he had 'definitely flunked it'. I would suggest you look at @Doonesbury's analysis of whether there is a correlation between how people actually do in the interview and who is actually successful in getting an offer :-)

Much to our son's surprise, he got an offer and he matriculated in 2015 with his three A-Levels in hand. He graduated this year with a First.

Too many people get put off applying for Cambridge and Oxford because of myths that some people believe and continue to share. The reality of our experience is that there is no prejudice against state schools or applicants with three A-levels. They just want good students that they think will flourish in the Oxbridge learning environment.

From your original post, I understand you have already applied so you are over one of the major hurdles that people encounter with Oxbridge - they fail to apply in the first place.

...if you get an interview, try and enjoy the process and, if Cambridge is the right place for you, then the best of luck in getting an offer.
Reply 27
Original post by Stressed dad
I know people are sharing their opinions and some I note say 'experience', but I can only speak from our family experience.

Our son applied to Cambridge for 2015 entry, coming from a state school (comprehensive) that rarely sends students to Oxbridge. He applied with three A-Levels.

At the interview, he encountered people who were undertaking 4-A levels as well as many who were taking 3 A-Levels. He thought that they were 'all amazingly intelligent'.

He thought the interviews were tough and felt really pushed. He came out of his second one telling me that he had 'definitely flunked it'. I would suggest you look at @Doonesbury's analysis of whether there is a correlation between how people actually do in the interview and who is actually successful in getting an offer :-)

Much to our son's surprise, he got an offer and he matriculated in 2015 with his three A-Levels in hand. He graduated this year with a First.

Too many people get put off applying for Cambridge and Oxford because of myths that some people believe and continue to share. The reality of our experience is that there is no prejudice against state schools or applicants with three A-levels. They just want good students that they think will flourish in the Oxbridge learning environment.

From your original post, I understand you have already applied so you are over one of the major hurdles that people encounter with Oxbridge - they fail to apply in the first place.

...if you get an interview, try and enjoy the process and, if Cambridge is the right place for you, then the best of luck in getting an offer.

Thank you so much for sharing this. It means a lot
Original post by isiaiah d
nobody is really likely to get into Cambridge but it's worth a shot for most applicants including you, having 3 A-Levels doesn't mean you won't still have a chance.

Imperial is more realistic (if your predicted are above or the same as their entry requirements). You just have to prepare for your interview.

I mean, I think we always doubt ourselves, even with what I achieved at A Level I still worry that I won't be good enough in my chosen discipline, I think self doubt is a good motivator too maybe? I constantly worry about hitting the limit of my academic potential before I get my degree and therefore end up without one and without a good job.
I don't think you're overestimating yourself at all. it just seems you're lacking in confidence right now.
What are your predicted grades? also in what subjects?

I want to apply to comp sci to similar unis :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Stressed dad

A timely and excellent post :smile: :yy:

And here's the latest outing of my interview vs decision outcome chart - it's in the current Cambridge Applicants thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=80212114&postcount=2656
Original post by Exoy
Dont get me wrong i dont think the problem is the entry requirements but the fact that only actually genius people go to these universities..

Have you been to any open days or study courses? I can promise that once you go to these (although they're probably all finished now), you'll quickly realise that all of the applicants to these students are most likely, in the same position with you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending