Degree award and failed credits question

Watch
Bottlecap88
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

Say if my final year of a BEng Hons degree contains 120 credits, but I'm allowed to fail 20 credits. Let's say my percentages for two 10 credit subjects were 35% and 37%. When my final degree award is calculated, will those percentages be used for the calculation even though I didn't get the credits for them? Or will they just default to 0% because they were below 40% and therefore a fail?

At the University of Edinburgh btw.
username4288010
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i failed 2 modules during my degree and they didnt appear to count towards final grade. interestingly the reason i got a 2:1 was cos i failed those modules and that must have warped how the final classification was calculated
Bottlecap88
Rep:
?
(Original post by ol24)
i failed 2 modules during my degree and they didnt appear to count towards final grade. interestingly the reason i got a 2:1 was cos i failed those modules and that must have warped how the final classification was calculated
So you would've gotten a first otherwise?
username4288010
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bottlecap88)
So you would've gotten a first otherwise?
2:2 lol
Bottlecap88
Rep:
?
Really? That doesn't make sense to me, otherwise they'd be rewarding you for failure. I'm trying to track down a sentence or line ANYwhere for ANY UK university stating 'failed credits aren't used to calculate your final degree award!' but no such luck after hours of searching. I was led to believe my final award would be 50/50 third and fourth year but don't know if credits I failed (even if the failure was 39%, which incidentally one was) would just default to 0% and massively drag down the grade. I don't know why they can't just explicitly confirm this.
User8612
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Really? That doesn't make sense to me, otherwise they'd be rewarding you for failure. I'm trying to track down a sentence or line ANYwhere for ANY UK university stating 'failed credits aren't used to calculate your final degree award!' but no such luck after hours of searching. I was led to believe my final award would be 50/50 third and fourth year but don't know if credits I failed (even if the failure was 39%, which incidentally one was) would just default to 0% and massively drag down the grade. I don't know why they can't just explicitly confirm this.
I don't see why failed modules wouldn't be counted toward your degree classification? By 'allowing you' to fail 20 credits, the University is simply saying that you won't fail your entire degree if you do screw up one or two classes, but there is no logical reason why that should extend to discounting those modules altogether from the classification.
Bottlecap88
Rep:
?
(Original post by User8612)
I don't see why failed modules wouldn't be counted toward your degree classification? By 'allowing you' to fail 20 credits, the University is simply saying that you won't fail your entire degree if you do screw up one or two classes, but there is no logical reason why that should extend to discounting those modules altogether from the classification.
This was my thought process, yet I ended up with a lower award than my GPA (including the failed credits) would've given me, and the failed subjects weren't included on the transcript so now I'm REALLY confused, because I was indirectly led to believe that even if I didn't get the credits for those subjects the sub-40 percentages would still be used in the calculation, but for me to get the award I did they would have to have defaulted to 0%?VERY confused rn.
User8612
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This was my thought process, yet I ended up with a lower award than my GPA (including the failed credits) would've given me, and the failed subjects weren't included on the transcript so now I'm REALLY confused, because I was indirectly led to believe that even if I didn't get the credits for those subjects the sub-40 percentages would still be used in the calculation, but for me to get the award I did they would have to have defaulted to 0%?VERY confused rn.
I would email the University and ask for clarification, to be honest.
Bottlecap88
Rep:
?
Already did, been waiting days for a response. It's why I decided to post here, because I couldn't find clarification anywhere on the internet about it, and I find that bizarre because you'd think it'd be the simplest thing to specify.
username4288010
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
im under assumption it didnt count cos wasnt awarded any credits for it. i cant remember exactly how it was done but like ur highest marks credits weight one. second highest credits weight 2. lowest mark credits weight 3. but wasnt awarded any credits they didnt count i..e not in the weighting. this must be true cos my marks were pretty low generally and fails would have given a 2:2 for sure.

unis aim to produce the most 1sts and 2:1s as possible so **** about with classifications in that favour ppl typically do better in final year so that counts more, group final yr projects, 2% off in final classification get the higher award
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (186)
29.06%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.56%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.06%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.44%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.97%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.94%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.13%

Watched Threads