How come? What are your plans now?
can confirm as white and gold
Original post by FreeMarketMeme
What’s your academic background?
Why did you quit?
What’s next?

Original post by BissyA
How come? What are your plans now?

finance @ a semi-target university for ibd (think exeter, manchester, nottingham, bath types)

left to pursue another opportunity outside of banking at a tech startup, mainly fed up with the long hours
Reply 4
Original post by gr8wizard10
can confirm as white and gold

finance @ a semi-target university for ibd (think exeter, manchester, nottingham, bath types)

left to pursue another opportunity outside of banking at a tech startup, mainly fed up with the long hours

Cheers for the answer.

How would you sum up your two years? Worth it? Not worth it?
Quit my gig as a 2nd year analyst.

Hey man,

Sorry to hear but at least you can have no regrets in doing the right thing for yourself!

I'm sure better alternative doors will open for you, best of luck :smile:
what is your programming experience and what other attributes do you bring to the company?
what your hours and how much you earn now?
Original post by thatapanydude
Hey man,

Sorry to hear but at least you can have no regrets in doing the right thing for yourself!

I'm sure better alternative doors will open for you, best of luck :smile:

appreciate it, btw not like i'm walking into nothing - walking into a pretty cool opportunity imo
Original post by BathshebaBathing
what is your programming experience and what other attributes do you bring to the company?

never programmed in my life - i'll be joining as a corp dev associate, helping the company acquire other companies and pursue growth through m&a

the city has won, been burnt for a while
Original post by alevelshelpit
what your hours and how much you earn now?

the proposition hours are a lot better, with similar earnings (lower bonus but potentially get equity option in the company)
Original post by BissyA
Cheers for the answer.

How would you sum up your two years? Worth it? Not worth it?

worth it in the sense that it has opened up these opportunities i probably otherwise wouldn't have access too
appreciate it, btw not like i'm walking into nothing - walking into a pretty cool opportunity imo

never programmed in my life - i'll be joining as a corp dev associate, helping the company acquire other companies and pursue growth through m&a

the city has won, been burnt for a while

the proposition hours are a lot better, with similar earnings (lower bonus but potentially get equity option in the company)

A startup paying you £50k+??? How mature is the startup? Is it a unicorn? Is it at mezzanine financing round?
Original post by lowwkey
A startup paying you £50k+??? How mature is the startup? Is it a unicorn? Is it at mezzanine financing round?

fairly mature, ran by some ex-pe / ex-venture cap / ex-bankers - yeah have done a few funding rounds gauging interest in some major players in the space. really pursuing growth acquisition stage atm
Hi, I really appreciate all the advice that you’ve given on this site, best of luck on your next job. How did you get the job? Did you apply online or were you headhunted (not sure if that’s the right word)? And where do you see your career in ten years’ time? Thanks
Original post by Trapz99
Hi, I really appreciate all the advice that you’ve given on this site, best of luck on your next job. How did you get the job? Did you apply online or were you headhunted (not sure if that’s the right word)? And where do you see your career in ten years’ time? Thanks

thanks, through linkedin.. who knows.
Sounds like you've moved on to a pretty interesting opportunity - happy for you man (second account but have been around here for a while and appreciated all your input).

Question from me - any advice you'd give to someone starting as an M&A analyst in a BB next summer? Anything you wish you knew / someone told you?
Original post by turboleverage
Sounds like you've moved on to a pretty interesting opportunity - happy for you man (second account but have been around here for a while and appreciated all your input).

Question from me - any advice you'd give to someone starting as an M&A analyst in a BB next summer? Anything you wish you knew / someone told you?

ensure you do something active.. whether that be a sport/gym on a weekly basis and never be a **** to anyone. i see it far too often, some bankers tend to think they're better than the general public... we are doing jobs just like everyone else.
Sorry to hear you leaving the field, but sounds like you've put a lot of though into your decision. I wish you the very best with your new opportunity!

According to you, what would be the main reasons for your burnout? Would it be how the bank treats their people. the hours, or something else that I haven't considered?

As someone choosing to enter M&A/Financing in the very near future, I'd appreciate your insights into how to manage the workload, and also how to choose the employer that would be the best fit.

Your previous threads have been a great learning opportunity for me. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with knowledge from your experiences.
How did you make your profile attractive to employers in this field? What advice do you have for a 2nd year who wants a decent finance/business internship and strengthen his/her application? Or end up doing IB like you did? What were your experiences like?

I know you got head hunted through linkedin but obviously there is something that made you look like the right candidate. Thanks :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Quit my gig as a 2nd year analyst.

What area of tech is the startup involved in?

Quick Reply

Latest