Do target grades mean anything? Watch

Daisy02
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I don't really understand the target grades we've been given so far (I just started A-levels). I got 9 and 9 in English and history at GCSE and got A* and C for my first essays this year, respectively. However, I am targeted Bs in both. My friend, who got 7s in English and history at GCSE and got grade B and D for her first essays is targeted As in both.
Are they just a bit random? Will target grades affect predicted grades at A-level?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Daisy02)
I don't really understand the target grades we've been given so far (I just started A-levels). I got 9 and 9 in English and history at GCSE and got A* and C for my first essays this year, respectively. However, I am targeted Bs in both. My friend, who got 7s in English and history at GCSE and got grade B and D for her first essays is targeted As in both.
Are they just a bit random? Will target grades affect predicted grades at A-level?
Ask but its either what they think you can get or what they think you should be aiming for. Its early in the day dont worry and just do your best.
DGeorge13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Target grades don’t really have that much weight as they are quite often based off of ks2 results. They don’t have any weight on a level predictions however achieved GCSE grades impact your computer generated a level projections although these also don’t have any weight on the actual predictions if you flunk a level or worked harder and therefore greatly improved
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Daisy02
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Ask but its either what they think you can get or what they think you should be aiming for. Its early in the day dont worry and just do your best.
Thanks for your help.
Daisy02
Rep:
?
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Target grades don’t really have that much weight as they are quite often based off of ks2 results. They don’t have any weight on a level predictions however achieved GCSE grades impact your computer generated a level projections although these also don’t have any weight on the actual predictions if you flunk a level or worked harder and therefore greatly improved
Oh, I see, thank you.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Target grades are often set using an automated system that factors in all your GCSEs and mixes in some magic dust to come up with a grade that is often relatively low. In 2 years time when you complete your A-levels and get a higher than TARGET grade they can claim they have "added value" by improving your performance against the target. That helps their rankings, etc

They usually aren't used for calculating your predicted grades.
jadarose
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How come your still in A*-G in some subjects?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
seanladd12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jadarose)
How come your still in A*-G in some subjects?
A level innit
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thanks for your help.
A level target grades will be based on your GCSEs and the average grade using something called ALIS. I don't find it very accurate for those with strengths in a few subjects as it under grades. Ignore it and worry about predictions.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Oh, I see, thank you.
They aren't based on KS2 ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (484)
22.2%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.61%

Watched Threads