Use of university libraries Watch

Rhodesian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need a quite place to revise that is open late in London.
Public libraries close around 8 and I do most of my revision late at night.

I can’t revise at home because I share a bedroom and my brother needs to sleep at night.

I heard that you can get passes for the use of university libraries which are open all night.
I applied for the LSE library but I’m don’t know if I’ll get a pass or how long it will take.

I was wondering if any other universities do it and how I would get access to these uni libraries in London.

Also I’m in year 13 and revising for my A levels of that helps.

LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could try the reading room at the British Library - those are open to anyone with a pass, not just students.

(You'll still have to apply for a reader's pass though)

EDIT - ignore me, those shut at eight.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The LSE library isn't open all night btw - it shuts at midnight in michaelmas and spring terms. It's only open 24 hours during exam season (so May/June)

I think the UCL library is open 24 hours though.
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rhodesian)
I need a quite place to revise that is open late in London.
Public libraries close around 8 and I do most of my revision late at night.

I can’t revise at home because I share a bedroom and my brother needs to sleep at night.

I heard that you can get passes for the use of university libraries which are open all night.
I applied for the LSE library but I’m don’t know if I’ll get a pass or how long it will take.

I was wondering if any other universities do it and how I would get access to these uni libraries in London.

Also I’m in year 13 and revising for my A levels of that helps.
I thought it costs to use a university library, atleast it is this way at mine if you don't study there. On the LSE library website it states restricted access till the 26th of October.
Rhodesian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Rhythmical)
I thought it costs to use a university library, atleast it is this way at mine if you don't study there. On the LSE library website it states restricted access till the 26th of October.
I don’t need it now. But I remember that it would have been really helpful during my exam month and a few months before for my AS Levels. I barely revised my AS levels as a result. I still got decent grades though AAC.

I’m fine with using the library after the 26th of October.

I visited the LSE library on an open day and I really liked it.
I applied on the website and I got an email saying it’ll take 5 working days to process.
I’m not sure if they’ll even let me though as the reason I put down was that I need a quite space to revise that’s open late.

If they don’t let me I’m not sure what else I can do.

And how much do you think it’ll cost for other universities like yours.
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rhodesian)
I don’t need it now. But I remember that it would have been really helpful during my exam month and a few months before for my AS Levels. I barely revised my AS levels as a result. I still got decent grades though AAC.

I’m fine with using the library after the 26th of October.

I visited the LSE library on an open day and I really liked it.
I applied on the website and I got an email saying it’ll take 5 working days to process.
I’m not sure if they’ll even let me though as the reason I put down was that I need a quite space to revise that’s open late.

If they don’t let me I’m not sure what else I can do.

And how much do you think it’ll cost for other universities like yours.
I think LSE would probably prefer those who want to use the library for academic research but its not to say they can't decline you. It's also important to consider that university libaries open late at night will usually only be open during university exam season when it gets busy but some may be 24/7. My university actually charges £50 which is bizarre if UCL's is (free?) I think it varies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (12)
8.96%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (14)
10.45%
No, but maybe I will look into it (38)
28.36%
No and I wouldn't consider it (70)
52.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise