The Student Room Group
Go for whichever one you like most, those numbers don't mean anything if you have differing levels of interest. Someone with a 1st/2.1 in MechEng who has taken part in Formula student, etc, etc is a far more attractive candidate than someone on a 2.2 in EEE with no extracurriculars.

In addition, Electric cars and Renewable energy are both still largely mechanical engineering dominated. For AI, you won't really have gone into depth enough with a bog standard EEE degree to get a career out of it.

There's also really not that much difference in job prospects between the two, using the crude "graduate prospects" measurement from CUG, the top 20 for this have an average score of about 90 in EEE and 89 in MechEng.
Reply 2
as an electrical engineering student, i would tell you to go for EEE but i think you should just go for what you love doing
Reply 3
Original post by Helloworld_95
Go for whichever one you like most, those numbers don't mean anything if you have differing levels of interest. Someone with a 1st/2.1 in MechEng who has taken part in Formula student, etc, etc is a far more attractive candidate than someone on a 2.2 in EEE with no extracurriculars.

In addition, Electric cars and Renewable energy are both still largely mechanical engineering dominated. For AI, you won't really have gone into depth enough with a bog standard EEE degree to get a career out of it.

There's also really not that much difference in job prospects between the two, using the crude "graduate prospects" measurement from CUG, the top 20 for this have an average score of about 90 in EEE and 89 in MechEng.

Ah ok what type of work do you think there will be for the future? Will the degree ever be outdated and will be hard to find a job in like 25 years?
Reply 4
Original post by DavyDG
as an electrical engineering student, i would tell you to go for EEE but i think you should just go for what you love doing

Main reason I picked mechanical over EEE is because I enjoyed and found topics such as motion, energy and oscillations more interesting instead of electricity and fields.

Is this a valid reason to pick mechanical?
Original post by Svesh
Ah ok what type of work do you think there will be for the future? Will the degree ever be outdated and will be hard to find a job in like 25 years?

The work won't change too much, just the methodology, though this is a very difficult question to answer given that your career will progress in that time. No it won't be outdated or difficult to find a job in 25 years
Reply 6
Original post by Svesh
I'm much more interested in mechanical engineering and all the modules that are on the courses.

however after researching into EEE I think it might have better career prospects for the future such as:
AI
Electric cars and lower usage of fossil fuels
The degree can be used for computer science jobs as well as they are closely related

It's obvious I should go for what I'm more interested in but do these career prospects outweigh it?

Which did u end up going
Reply 7
Original post by Stcc
Which did u end up going

I did general engineering then went into systems engineering