Medical Question Watch

emilyllo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need help and some advise from any medical people please.my boyfriend is 17 and is constantly having back, neck, shoulder and chest pains and he's always tired for no reason. just wanna know why this is happening at this age and what he can do?
luketprg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could be a multitude of factors, bad posture or sleeping position eg sleeping on his stomach flat would unnaturally curve his spine and compress his rib cage making his breathing more difficult and could result in chest pain. This could result in worse sleep explaining the tiredness, but that’s just a simple explanation, although I don’t see a huge problem in this. So hopefully he should be ok, if it persists though encourage him to see his GP. Hope this helps
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emilyllo)
I need help and some advise from any medical people please.my boyfriend is 17 and is constantly having back, neck, shoulder and chest pains and he's always tired for no reason. just wanna know why this is happening at this age and what he can do?
If you/ he need medical advice the place to go is your drs surgery. Few people on here are medical professionals and those who are aren't able to give medical advice (they can't get enough information to make an informed decision and it is against site rules).
One thing that is quite common for causing pain and issues in young or generally healthy people is posture. People often tend to slump or sit awkwardly etc and that just isn't great for our bodies. When our bodies are in odd positions like that it causes strain and pulling and squishing in areas that aren't designed to deal with that so it ends up causinfng pain.
That's only one possibility though. It could also be any number of other things from not enough vitamin D to arthritis. The best thing to do is him see his GP and get a proper assessment and advice. If they do suggest it is postural he might like to consider seeing and osteopath to help him work on better posture or just ask his GP the best things to look up and work it out for himself. It often boils down to back starlight and shoulders back and pain reducing would indicate success so really it is usually something that can be managed by yourself with a little help from Google and GP making sure that is the issue to be focusing on.

Tiredness can be caused by any number of things from not sleeping enough or overworking yourself to your body being worn out from dealing with pain or other issues to things like vitamin deficiencies etc. Again the only real way to find out is to see a doctor. If he doesn't sleep much or is always staying up working or playing video games or even if he sleeps a good amount but is quite active though that could point towards him just needing to make a few little lifestyle changes.
Oh and just a quick note- energy drinks and caffeine only offer short term relief and are actually bad for tiredness in the long run because the body relies on it and then crashes when it doesn't get it and starts to get used to having it and needing more and more to actually make a difference. So if he is current using things like that for his tiredness I suggest he stops.

So yeah go see GP basically but don't worry too much because it's likely just some little things making bigger issues and all he needs to do is make some little lifestyle changes to feel improvement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
75.41%
No I haven't decided yet (9)
14.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
9.84%

Watched Threads