The Student Room Group

Grow Your Grades - Siana :)

Hey there,
My name is Siana and have just started year 12 this September. So far it hasn't been too bad, don't get me wrong, everything is harddddd but I think I'll get there with enough time and effort. I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics and am aiming for A*A*AA. (fingers crossed). I would like to study for a maths or some sort of engineering degree at Cambridge Uni as an ideal but am also looking at Exeter and Imperial College. As a rule of thumb with me and learning, I LOVE the hard things but struggle with the 'easy' stuff. I am often told that I am somehow running without being able to walk and so these first few half terms I will be trying to work on building the foundations of my courses and learning to walk thus hopefully getting to grips with the things I should be able to easily get right. I think that is the best way forward for me as of where I'm at right now.

Best Siana
Reply 1
Hey again,
So clearly I actually have no idea what I'm doing here but I'm going to try and along with improving my grades :wink: I'll also hopefully get better at posting these. So lets start with how I did at GCSE:

Grades!!!:afraid:

English Lit: 8
English Lang: 7
Maths: 9
Biology: 6
Chemistry: 8
Physics: 8
Sociology: A
Citizenship: 8
French: 7
History: 8
This strange INGOTS thing we did: A

My Thoughts:

All in all, I think did pretty well at GCSE. To be honest, I feel like I could do a lot better if I would have put the effort in back in year 10. However I did revise a lot and try my best in year 11 so I think that's all that counts really. Yeah, really happy, was quite dissapointed with Biology but I knew coming out of those first exams that it didn't go well. But hey, that's over now time to turn to A-levels and the next 2 years of my life.

So how are A-levels going so far?

Honestly, this first half term hasn't been as bad as I thought and I am certain that the subjects I am doing will be best for what I want to do in the future. (Either a Maths degree or Aeronautical/biochemical engineering). I am currently struggling with chemistry quite a bit as we have recently been given a new teacher and it is hard to adapt to her way of teaching as it is a lot different to the teacher I had at the beginning of the year and throughout my time at school. I feel like the practicals are really ahrd and am finding it difficult to do them properly and get the expected results. Maths is not bad but can be a bit boring as I feel I move faster than the rest of the class and am often left feeling a little under-challenged after the lesson. However, Further Maths is a DIFFERENT story. I absolutely ADORE it. It is great to be challenged and to be able to finally find a part of maths that I feel like I've fallen in love with. Statistics that is: things such as poisson and binomial distribution just leave me remembering why I love maths and is what made me consider a degree in mathematics. Finally Physics, this one I'm quite split on, the applied maths part of it is great but I'm not too comfortable on practicals and concepts. I find it hard to understand them and to correctly recall them - hopefully flashcards and quizzlet will help with that over time though. All in all, I feel like everything is going quite well. Lets hope it stays that way.

I'm going to try to post on this thread as much as possible (hopefully at least once a week) with how I'm dealing with everything and what's happening. So until then, I think that's all from me. Have a good rest of your week.

Best Siana :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi Siana! I'm also in Year 12 but I'm taking ICT, Media and History.
Reply 3
Okay, so clearly I'm not very good at this. I keep forgetting and putting it off because, if I'm honest, I really have no idea what I'm doing. But it's the start of the new year so I'm determined to figure out what I'm going to do with my life and how to get to that point.

The past term has been really difficult in terms of learning because I'm really struggling a lot and it feels like no matter how much work i put in, it's just not going anywhere. I've been thinking a lot about my subjects and debating whether to drop one (as I do 4) in order to lessen the work I have to do but honestly, I just don't think I'll ever really understand much about my subjects.

So I've not been posting on here much because I feel like I have to write about what I'm doing at school and how I'm trying to get better but I just can't do that because right now, I'm not. I've been stuck in a rut for a while and just haven't had much effort to pull myself out of it. Everything just feels like a lot.

I'm going to try and write this more often if possible because it is nice to write my thoughts down even if no one sees it or cares.
Original post by Sianab910
Okay, so clearly I'm not very good at this. I keep forgetting and putting it off because, if I'm honest, I really have no idea what I'm doing. But it's the start of the new year so I'm determined to figure out what I'm going to do with my life and how to get to that point.

The past term has been really difficult in terms of learning because I'm really struggling a lot and it feels like no matter how much work i put in, it's just not going anywhere. I've been thinking a lot about my subjects and debating whether to drop one (as I do 4) in order to lessen the work I have to do but honestly, I just don't think I'll ever really understand much about my subjects.

So I've not been posting on here much because I feel like I have to write about what I'm doing at school and how I'm trying to get better but I just can't do that because right now, I'm not. I've been stuck in a rut for a while and just haven't had much effort to pull myself out of it. Everything just feels like a lot.

I'm going to try and write this more often if possible because it is nice to write my thoughts down even if no one sees it or cares.

You’re fine!! You don’t have to update everyday - even this small update is okay!! New year new start as they always say.

Do you feel like your other subjects would benefit if you drop one? Definitely think about it for a while, and plan/organise whether or not it would help with your future choices.

Remember, you don’t need to post EVERY SINGLE THING. I leave out a lot of what happens on my GYG, especially as I don’t think it needs to be told. Talk about what you did in class, what work you completed and how you felt that day.

Write as often as you want ☺️
Reply 5
Original post by Sianab910
Hey there,
My name is Siana and have just started year 12 this September. So far it hasn't been too bad, don't get me wrong, everything is harddddd but I think I'll get there with enough time and effort. I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics and am aiming for A*A*AA. (fingers crossed). I would like to study for a maths or some sort of engineering degree at Cambridge Uni as an ideal but am also looking at Exeter and Imperial College. As a rule of thumb with me and learning, I LOVE the hard things but struggle with the 'easy' stuff. I am often told that I am somehow running without being able to walk and so these first few half terms I will be trying to work on building the foundations of my courses and learning to walk thus hopefully getting to grips with the things I should be able to easily get right. I think that is the best way forward for me as of where I'm at right now.

Best Siana

good luck! I'm also going to be taking part in this challenge the link to my screen is here
Reply 6
Ahhh you're taking the same subjects as me! :five: (only I'm in Year 13 :tongue:)
Best of luck! :rave:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending