The Student Room Group

Horribly anxious about a scare

Hey. As my first note here, I also have horrible anxiety so I’m not surprised if this is making my feelings about this worse.

I lost my virginity on Saturday. As I have some degree of knowhow, we used a condom and I used the pill (desogesterel, progesterone-only, 12 hour window). Only problem is that the condom half slipped off (it was still covering the tip?), and I later realised i hadn’t been taking my pills consistently. My GP told me a while ago that if you miss one you’re covered again after you’ve taken them consistently for two days: I had taken mine properly for three days but I’m unsure if I missed more than one before that point and I’m really scared. I later found out you’re meant to take it consistently for seven days, too. So I went to take the morning after pill (EllaOne) about 40 hours after we had sex. Despite all of this I’m still utterly terrified in case it didn’t work, in case I already ovulated (I was just coming off of my period when we had sex, but my cycle seems to be very unpredictable and irregular). I’m not getting wound up about symptoms because I know the morning after pill tends to mess with your body a bit, but the idea of waiting til the Monday after next to be rid of this paranoia is immensely draining. I don’t know who to talk to other than my partner, so if anyone has advice on keeping myself together, I would appreciate it more than I can say.
Sorry you're going through this, you're not alone and these things happen.

The condom didn't fail, it slipping down, could mean that there could be no exposure. EllaOne can is designed to be effective up to 5 days after sex (120 hours), so 40 hours would normally be fine (where you are in your cycle does affect it's success rate).

As you note you'll likely find that your body will be a bit odd for a few days and your menstruation may be even more irregular, your mind will also play tricks on you. It’s also worth remembering that stress can also much up your cycle. If you want more reassurance you can take a pregnancy test a week after your first missed period.

In the very unlikely circumstance you were to become pregnant a termination would be a simple medical option.

I'd recommend getting into a routine with your contraceptive pills and still use a condom for extra protection and security, particularly if you're suffering from anxiety.

So try not to worry but do get into a routine with your contraception (perhaps go for an implant if you're struggling to take it regularly) and perhaps look into why the condom slipped back (you're partner may require a different shape of condom).

Quick Reply

Latest