The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Is Edinburgh significantly better than Newcastle?

Do Newcastle uni and Edinburgh uni share a similar prestige, and would Edinburgh appeal a LOT more to employers from a Chemical Engineering MENg degree than Newcastle, internationally speaking?

And why does Newcastle have a very similar ranking to Edinburgh in the UK but completely different for QS global rankings?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JSC16
Do Newcastle uni and Edinburgh uni share a similar prestige, and would Edinburgh appeal a LOT more to employers from a Chemical Engineering MENg degree than Newcastle, internationally speaking?

And why does Newcastle have a very similar ranking to Edinburgh in the UK but completely different for QS global rankings?

Doesn't matter for engineering.

-

As to why the rankings are different, domestic rankings tend to focus less on research (which Edinburgh is unequivocally a powerhouse for) and more on teaching (teaching isn't Edinburgh's strong suit imo), student satisfaction (which again, is extraordinarily low at Edinburgh) etc.

If you prefer Newcastle, pick Newcastle. Don't choose Edinburgh purely because of its worldwide league table rankings

You should also bear in mind that Scottish degrees last a year longer. An MEng up here would take 5 years compared to 4 at NCL (unless you do direct-entry which is quite tough). This means more flexibility within the degree in the pre-honours years, but you will accrue more student debt (not too big of a deal imo) and enter the world of work later than most of your peers. It will however, give you some more time to find internships etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
Doesn't matter for engineering.

-

As to why the rankings are different, domestic rankings tend to focus less on research (which Edinburgh is unequivocally a powerhouse for) and more on teaching (teaching isn't Edinburgh's strong suit imo), student satisfaction (which again, is extraordinarily low at Edinburgh) etc.

If you prefer Newcastle, pick Newcastle. Don't choose Edinburgh purely because of its worldwide league table rankings

You should also bear in mind that Scottish degrees last a year longer. An MEng up here would take 5 years compared to 4 at NCL (unless you do direct-entry which is quite tough). This means more flexibility within the degree in the pre-honours years, but you will accrue more student debt (not too big of a deal imo) and enter the world of work later than most of your peers. It will however, give you some more time to find internships etc.

Would it really affect my chances if I applied to somewhere like Shell or Saudi Aramco (two top oil companies)? And thanks for the quote, I’m a UK student not a Scottish so not the best uni for me (fund wise)

And Edinburgh is a lot more expensive to live in (NCl accommodation is around £123 min and Edinb is £340ish)!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
It’s expensive to live in and I have not seen 160 pound rent anywhere, my mate loves there
Original post by JSC16
Would it really affect my chances if I applied to somewhere like Shell or Saudi Aramco (two top oil companies)? And thanks for the quote, I’m a UK student not a Scottish so not the best uni for me (fund wise)

And Edinburgh is a lot more expensive to live in (NCl accommodation is around £123 min and Edinb is £340ish)!!

No, not really. Your final degree classification, work experience/internships matter a lot more.

Edinburgh is more expensive, yes. But it certainly isn't £340 a week in rent!
Reply 5
Original post by JSC16

There are Newcastle alumni at Shell and Aramco
Reply 7
Sorry my mistake then but for an English student that is not super duper bursary material, haha, it would be more expensive
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
There are Newcastle alumni at Shell and Aramco

Stupid question but what do you mean by alumni?
Reply 9
Original post by JSC16
Stupid question but what do you mean by alumni?

Graduates (i.e. people who attended that university)
Original post by JSC16
Sorry my mistake then but for an English student that is not super duper bursary material, haha, it would be more expensive

£8,000 is probably the highest means-tested bursary you can get in the country.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-funding/undergraduate/uk-eu/access-awards/ruk
Reply 11
Original post by JSC16

The bursary is for living costs not tuition. Tuition is paid by your student loan.
Reply 12
Original post by Doonesbury
The bursary is for living costs not tuition. Tuition is paid by your student loan.

What about in Newcastle?
Original post by JSC16

Oh god, it's the 'prestige' word again...
Reply 14
Original post by Reality Check
Oh god, it's the 'prestige' word again...

Haha yeah I don’t like it either but it really shouldn’t matter man. It’s a TSR word ahahaha
Original post by JSC16
What about in Newcastle?

Newcastle do have a bursary, but it's not nearly as generous https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/scholarships/opportunity/
Original post by JSC16

Hi JSC16,

It's great to hear that you're thinking of coming to study with us :thumbsup:

Rest assured that our Engineering degrees are fully accredited which means employers will certainly recognise the quality of your degree. Another great thing with our MEng degree is the opportunity to do a 9-12 month work placement between years three and four, which gives you a great amount of practical experience for when you finish your degree and could give you a head start when looking for employment.

Unfortunately our bursaries aren't as generous as Edinburgh's but generally the cost of living in Newcastle is very reasonable which may be why our bursaries aren't so high.

Have you visited either universities yet? If you do apply to us you will likely be invited to a post-applicant visit day which can be a great way to really see if you think you'd be comfortable calling Newcastle home for the next four years, I'd definitely recommend coming to that!

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions about life in Newcastle :smile:

Valentina

Quick Reply

Latest