The Student Room Group

teachers only helping students wanting elite unis (ELITIST RANT)

So basically right, im at the ucas point, ive paid/sent my application off (its got to be confirmed by school), however the way my school have handled it puts me in no faith whatsover. My sixth form and the whole school is very good however the sixth form staff i've gotta be honest are hella complacent. In my case i have finished my personal statement about two weeks ago and gave it to my tutor who didnt look at it for a bit and then i thought i will hand it to head of year to look at who said to hand to tutor and then they aknowledged and said they would (this was monday) they are now off for the rest of the week and back after half term no good to me. So basically i thought i will just put in the application as they check it anyway and the deadline (my school) is tommorow (friday). So ive paid and sent it off, so they will have to look over half term and then send it off. However this is where im worried. Firstly, ive had to make these choices without knowing my predicted grades and ive had to make a guess on them, so if they are lower than expected i might just get tons of rejections, i asked for them and they said after half term. I am also worried that they may just add them and send it off over half term (which finishes 1st nov) and then the unis see it and make a decision on that. I mean i wouldnt put it past them to screw me over. But what really annoys me most is the elitist attitude that they have, like the people going to the elite unis (not necessarliy oxbridge but like LSE and imperial) have had all attention and know there predicted grades, also have had them bumped up favourablly to help them. Whereas i havent recieved despite wanting to go birmingham, lancaster etc. Why should they recieve more help than me (school funding brought by a positive school image and better destinations for their top pupils and a better rep for them). I feel that this is becoming a rant at elitism itself and how it is integrated into education. The teachers in general are good at subjects (head of year is one of my teachers and i do well in subject so i know them) howver is a bit strict on policy, however i tend to avoid head of sixth as its a bit exlcusive and only interested in the top london uni/oxbridge or medicine people and the rest dont exist as far as he is concerned but he is a bit naff so yeah, also they are all very nice but its just these flaws that concern and i really hope that this doesnt affect my application as it is our future that they are playing with here. I think this might be a good thing to write to the minister for universities about and bring awareness to this, also its tory so probably be shunned. Any way if anyone else has any situation like this or has experiences leave them here, just because we arent the elite doesnt mean we are not important and dont exist we should be attended to equally (i know obvs oxbridge deadline is earlier) but still, also dont get me started on predicted grades being used for ucas. Also i feel that i have now become more left politically and in favour of equality because of the way the school is run from the senior teachers and their favourable picking of students they like or think will get better rep for the school. we should not be the silent majority as it is our lives that matter just as much as someone who wants to do an appreticeship, oxford or whatever they want to do with there life. the schools should focus on getting the best you not a quote in a prospectus.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wonderwall94
So basically right, im at the ucas point, ive paid/sent my application off (its got to be confirmed by school), however the way my school have handled it puts me in no faith whatsover. My sixth form and the whole school is very good however the sixth form staff i've gotta be honest are hella complacent. In my case i have finished my personal statement about two weeks ago and gave it to my tutor who didnt look at it for a bit and then i thought i will hand it to head of year to look at who said to hand to tutor and then they aknowledged and said they would (this was monday) they are now off for the rest of the week and back after half term no good to me. So basically i thought i will just put in the application as they check it anyway and the deadline (my school) is tommorow (friday). So ive paid and sent it off, so they will have to look over half term and then send it off. However this is where im worried. Firstly, ive had to make these choices without knowing my predicted grades and ive had to make a guess on them, so if they are lower than expected i might just get tons of rejections, i asked for them and they said after half term. I am also worried that they may just add them and send it off over half term (which finishes 1st nov) and then the unis see it and make a decision on that. I mean i wouldnt put it past them to screw me over. But what really annoys me most is the elitist attitude that they have, like the people going to the elite unis (not necessarliy oxbridge but like LSE and imperial) have had all attention and know there predicted grades, also have had them bumped up favourablly to help them. Whereas i havent recieved despite wanting to go birmingham, lancaster etc. Why should they recieve more help than me (school funding brought by a positive school image and better destinations for their top pupils and a better rep for them). I feel that this is becoming a rant at elitism itself and how it is integrated into education. The teachers in general are good at subjects (head of year is one of my teachers and i do well in subject so i know them) howver is a bit strict on policy, however i tend to avoid head of sixth as its a bit exlcusive and only interested in the top london uni/oxbridge or medicine people and the rest dont exist as far as he is concerned but he is a bit naff so yeah, also they are all very nice but its just these flaws that concern and i really hope that this doesnt affect my application as it is our future that they are playing with here. I think this might be a good thing to write to the minister for universities about and bring awareness to this, also its tory so probably be shunned. Any way if anyone else has any situation like this or has experiences leave them here, just because we arent the elite doesnt mean we are not important and dont exist we should be attended to equally (i know obvs oxbridge deadline is earlier) but still, also dont get me started on predicted grades being used for ucas. Also i feel that i have now become more left politically and in favour of equality because of the way the school is run from the senior teachers and their favourable picking of students they like or think will get better rep for the school. we should not be the silent majority as it is our lives that matter just as much as someone who wants to do an appreticeship, oxford or whatever they want to do with there life. the schools should focus on getting the best you not a quote in a prospectus.

What is the rush ? The deadline is in January The school presumably wanted to deal with those who were applying to Oxbridge/Medicine first as the deadline was the 15th October. That is not elitism it is common-sense .

The school deadline is arbitrary and of no significance to UCAS or the universities. If they said they would give you the predicted grades after half term then why didn't you just wait for them ? The deadline they gave you may well have been for you to get your part of the form sorted-

The school would not be screwing you over by adding your predicted grades- that is what they are supposed to do- It is hardly their fault you got impatient and sent the form off before they gave them to you.

There is 3 months before the deadline, there is no advantage of getting your form in early- if anyone has messed up, I am afraid it is you.

PS Use paragraphs if you want people to read what you have written - it makes it much easier
Original post by watchingyouwatch
What is the rush ? The deadline is in January The school presumably wanted to deal with those who were applying to Oxbridge/Medicine first as the deadline was the 15th October. That is not elitism it is common-sense .

The school deadline is arbitrary and of no significance to UCAS or the universities. If they said they would give you the predicted grades after half term then why didn't you just wait for them ? The deadline they gave you may well have been for you to get your part of the form sorted-

The school would not be screwing you over by adding your predicted grades- that is what they are supposed to do- It is hardly their fault you got impatient and sent the form off before they gave them to you.

There is 3 months before the deadline, there is no advantage of getting your form in early- if anyone has messed up, I am afraid it is you.

PS Use paragraphs if you want people to read what you have written - it makes it much easier

I am simply following the school deadline and i am afraid that this is something which i cannot get across on text. How dare you say i have messed up by being efficent and getting my application ready, i was told i had to send it off for them to look at it over half term otherwise this just drags on into mock exam time, anyway oxbridge/medicine people is a small minority and people doing like sociology at leicester have got offers and predicted grades simply because they are popular with the teachers and i would say i was probaly on par with them academically so i think their is a whiff of elitist taste in the mouths of the teachers if you were. All teachers in my school have been told to do this so why should my teachers be different?
I am simply following the school deadline and i am afraid that this is something which i cannot get across on text. How dare you say i have messed up by being efficent and getting my application ready, i was told i had to send it off for them to look at it over half term otherwise this just drags on into mock exam time, anyway oxbridge/medicine people is a small minority and people doing like sociology at leicester have got offers and predicted grades simply because they are popular with the teachers and i would say i was probaly on par with them academically so i think their is a whiff of elitist taste in the mouths of the teachers if you were. All teachers in my school have been told to do this so why should my teachers be different?

all im really getting at is if they set such high expecations of us they should be able to keep up and help accomodate us, that is why the tutors are there

How is people applying to do Sociology at Leicester getting their predicted grades before you elitist ? Favouritism possibly but not elitist.

I appreciates you are frustrated that you don't have your predicted grades yet but asI said before there are 3 months before it has to be in !
How is people applying to do Sociology at Leicester getting their predicted grades before you elitist ? Favouritism possibly but not elitist.

I appreciates you are frustrated that you don't have your predicted grades yet but asI said before there are 3 months before it has to be in !

im just not happy at how they have gone about, you tory

Paragraphing would help - it's almost a study in how the lack of paragraphing can make text unreadable.

I'm glad you self-described it as a rant.
Original post by Reality Check
Paragraphing would help - it's almost a study in how the lack of paragraphing can make text unreadable.

I'm glad you self-described it as a rant.

sorry everyones so offended at my use or non use of paragraphs, i just forgot no need to bang on
im just not happy at how they have gone about, you tory

But that is a different point entirely. You may have very valid points about how they have gone about it, but ranting about elitism, while using someone with an application to Leicester as an example, isn't really making your point very well.

Calling anyone who disagrees with you a Tory is a bit pathetic if you don't mind me saying so. Although I would be very interested to know how you came to that conclusion :smile:

PS Hint : I am not a Tory

Ever heard of paragraphs?
sorry everyones so offended at my use or non use of paragraphs, i just forgot no need to bang on

Don't be such a victim. No-one's 'offended'.

The fact of the matter is by omitting all paragraphing you've made what you've written almost impossible to read. Was that your intention - to encourage people not to take notice of what you've said? It's a shame, because you've made your point less impactful than it might otherwise have been.

Is that a problem for you, to have that pointed out?
another thing i would like to add on elitism in education, comes with the universities themselves. This is particularly apparent in the law industry which i want to go into like if you dont go Russell group they say your worthless i mean come on.. i know some are better teaching but i think you shouldnt have to put uni name on cv just like i got 2.1 at university instead of 2.1 at durham opposed to 2.1 at swansea
But that is a different point entirely. You may have very valid points about how they have gone about it, but ranting about elitism, while using someone with an application to Leicester as an example, isn't really making your point very well.

Calling anyone who disagrees with you a Tory is a bit pathetic if you don't mind me saying so. Although I would be very interested to know how you came to that conclusion :smile:

PS Hint : I am not a Tory

sorry i am just a bit stressed atm, i mean year 13 is manic (ps im watching PMQs in corner of screen for politics) i mean UCAS,revision, part time work and everthing else in life is just the reason why this is a problem particlalry with the importance of mental health
sorry i am just a bit stressed atm, i mean year 13 is manic (ps im watching PMQs in corner of screen for politics) i mean UCAS,revision, part time work and everthing else in life is just the reason why this is a problem particlalry with the importance of mental health

Don't worry - I am sure I have been called worse :smile:

My advise is try and stay calm and I am sure it will work out. When you go back to school , chase up your predicted grades and then if necessary ask to change your choices ( although I am sure they will be fine)

It is very frustrating when people make deadlines and then don't stick to them- but it is also very common, and something you will encounter at university as well. All you can do is try and make sure you stick to deadlines and chase up things when they slip
no when i went on work experience at a law firm they asked what unis i was thinking of going to and i said liverpool and they were like "erm liverpools not the best have you thought about durham or manchester"
Bloody Hell.

There's too much to unpick here it'd take me far too long. Posting to subscribe to the thread and remind myself to come back here later when I have more time.
no when i went on work experience at a law firm they asked what unis i was thinking of going to and i said liverpool and they were like "erm liverpools not the best have you thought about durham or manchester"

That isn't the university's being elitist it is the law firms

It is inevitable that some universities have a better reputation for Law than others and that therefore law firms will consider a graduate from one of those with a "better " reputation as more employable.

Quality varies from university to university and any company is going to take that into consideration when deciding who they want to take on.
this wasnt a northern firm it was on the outskrits of london

"Got offers... simply because they are popular with the teachers"- I am sorry but the reality is that teachers have no influence whether an individual recieves an offer or not; why would the admission tutor care if you're "Popular" amongst teachers? they probably wouldn't know in the first place.

Regardless if a group is a minority, they are still applicants; furthermore, the Oxbridge/medicial applicants have much substantial pressures, so an earlier deadline is beneficial. Medical applicants in particular have compulsory interviews (With the exception of Edinburgh), must take an admissions test (UKCAT or/and BMAT), and then successfully create a personal statement all within the deadline; what adds to this stress are the higher grader requirements. The BMAT and associated Oxford Tests such as TSA's are on October 31st, therefore applicants must focus on efficient preparation rather than being concerned on the readiness of their UCAS applications.

Following onto your immature principles of morality, interpreting from your assumptions, if we were to ignore the minority (in this case the medical applicants), that breaches the concept of justice; it is flagrantly disciminatory to not acknowledge their tight deadlines and treat them equally to applicants who have a January deadline. What balances the system is that the attention diverted to Oxbridge/medical applicants in the months of October & September (Designed to improve their successes), would be shifted towards the regular applicants. It makes sense, since after October 15th, all staff would now be concerned about the rest of the applicants, especially when the minority has been sorted with, in such a short time. Ironically, more time is therefore invested into students like you afterwards. You need to appreciate and recognise that you are in a privelleged position to not only have the support of your sixth form teachers, but also at the same time have a longer time to prepare and carefully apply. I assume you have no admissions test to do, and I assume you'll apply for a course with no interviews; so the only stress you have (academically), is A-level examinations- Like every other student, you just have fewer academic stresses.

Stop complaining, I highly doubt a virtual online student forum/platform can destablise or influence your sixthform- You're not going to producitvely achieve anying ranting at strangers; speak up to your senior members and raise this issue of concern- Or file a complaint (if they ignore you). Advice: Be proactive, stop worrying and responsibly adopt a mature manner approaching this situation.

Note: Don't be arrogant "On par academically"- Success in academics does not determine a candiates elibilityy or popularity. There are many factors involved.
This is particularly apparent in the law industry which i want to go into l

You might want to revisit that...

Quick Reply

Latest