The Student Room Group

Cancer and Personal Statement

Hi all
I'm applying to university to study child nursing. I would be a mature student the thing is I was diagnosed with bowel cancer 5 years ago had major surgery and chemo. This is one of the reasons as to why I want to become a nurse.
Do I mention it on my personal statement or do I mention it too my tutors if I get a place?
Original post by Keltyaa
Hi all
I'm applying to university to study child nursing. I would be a mature student the thing is I was diagnosed with bowel cancer 5 years ago had major surgery and chemo. This is one of the reasons as to why I want to become a nurse.
Do I mention it on my personal statement or do I mention it too my tutors if I get a place?

I don't see why you need to mention your cancer to them IF you get a place. You could mention it in your PS to explain why you've missed certain stages of your education though.
I would put it down, without going into too much detail, but mention it inspired you to want to become a nurse. I’m pretty sure there is somewhere to write medical conditions - it might be on a form the uni give you at some point. But I would tell the uni before starting (after they have offered you a place).
Original post by Keltyaa
Hi all

Agree with others - something like .... i had serious illness 5 years ago and it was the care I received that motivated me to take up nursing....

Hey and well done for coming through this - you will make a great nurse I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending