Turn on thread page Beta

Spider fell behind oven, how do I know it’s dead? watch

ReputationRep:
    So there was a spider in my kitchen and I hit it twice with a shoe but then it fell behind the oven. Is there a possibility that it is still alive? I don’t have the courage to bring forth the oven to search for it as I am terrified of spiders and that was the biggest one I’ve ever encountered. Any advice on what to do next?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelikiii)
    So there was a spider in my kitchen and I hit it twice with a shoe but then it fell behind the oven. Is there a possibility that it is still alive? I don’t have the courage to bring forth the oven to search for it as I am terrified of spiders and that was the biggest one I’ve ever encountered. Any advice on what to do next?
    The most likely thing it will have done is run to safety - it's probably gone upstairs to a bedroom. Possibly yours. It'll most likely come out from behind the wardrobe or under the bed during the dead of night.

If you can't see it, it isn't there.

ReputationRep:
    Burn your house to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    Bake it a nice apple pie in the oven to show it you are truly sorry that you hit it. And with any luck the heat from the oven will kill it if your shoe hasn’t done the job already. In which case you’ll have a nice apple pie to enjoy yourself. I don’t see how you can lose this deal.

ReputationRep:
    You could phone round the local hospitals and see if it's checked in anywhere

It might have used a false name though.

ReputationRep:
    It has stopped moving for once and all.

ReputationRep:
    Update: word of what you done is out on the interwebz. If your spider senses are tingling, it may be because it’s brothers and sisters* are coming to demand justice.

* The average large spider has 40,000 siblings.

ReputationRep:
    it won't be happy

:emo:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/e3...0b529758cc.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I relate to this post so much so I'm going to answer sensibly.

First, OP I'm so sorry about this, it really is an unfortunate situation to be in.

From personal experience, it usually isn't dead. Those little sh*ts are hard to kill. Do you live with anyone else? If you do then get them to check, if they are not home then grab a book and a seat, sit down and guard the oven until someone is home to check.

If you live alone then call your friend over/neighbour/flatmate. If this can't be done then you are now faced with two choices.

1) Does your financial situation allow you to order takeouts for about 2 weeks straight? If yes, then try to refrain yourself from entering the kitchen. If it is an open kitchen then close off the bedroom and come out as little as possible. Stick towels under the door, run out the door every morning without turning back etc...

2) Get gloves, wear long sleeves, toe-covered shoes. Have a book ready/bug spray, play some 'eye of the tiger' in the background, slowly move the oven and check. You know what to do next...

P.S: I know it sounds like I'm joking but I'm 100% serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieK03)

First, OP I'm so sorry about this, it really is an unfortunate situation to be in.

From personal experience, it usually isn't dead. Those little sh*ts are hard to kill. Do you live with anyone else? If you do then get them to check, if they are not home then grab a book and a seat, sit down and guard the oven until someone is home to check.

If you live alone then call your friend over/neighbour/flatmate. If this can't be done then you are now faced with two choices.

1) Does your financial situation allow you to order takeouts for about 2 weeks straight? If yes, then try to refrain yourself from entering the kitchen. If it is an open kitchen then close off the bedroom and come out as little as possible. Stick towels under the door, run out the door every morning without turning back etc...

2) Get gloves, wear long sleeves, toe-covered shoes. Have a book ready/bug spray, play some 'eye of the tiger' in the background, slowly move the oven and check. You know what to do next...

Large Spiders are like Bosses in Video games, They harbour large HP's and seldom can be beaten with one hit.

From experience, I'd also say it is probably still alive. I'm the type of person who can't rest knowing there's a sizeable spider in house and will go searching for it. Even though I have a slight phobia for them.

From experience as well, If you try and kill a spider ....and you fail ...and it gets away, it tends to remember the attempt on it's life and hold a grudge. It may try to attack humans the next time it encounters them and instead of running away from them like before start running towards them aggressively looking for revenge.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on what to do next?
    You will probably have to get married and make sure your spouse deals with it. This is the single biggest reason for non-pregnant people to get married these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RenéDescartes)
    Burn your house to be sure.
    I heard lighting fireworks can do the trick.

https://youtu.be/Rqmd39GdDww

ReputationRep:

Oh my god, my sister reassured me that it’s dead and I calmed down but reading this brought back the stress. The oven was on when the spider fell so is there a possibility that the heat killed it? That’s what I thought... I’ll probably wait for my dad to get home and move the oven but I’m afraid he’ll think I’m paranoid and not check...

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, my sister reassured me that it’s dead and I calmed down but reading this brought back the stress. The oven was on when the spider fell so is there a possibility that the heat killed it? That’s what I thought... I’ll probably wait for my dad to get home and move the oven but I’m afraid he’ll think I’m paranoid and not check...
    Is your sister home? Can she check? I think it's best to check asap though! Just imagine your dad moving the oven and there's nothing there! :vroam:

Dw, my parents were like that too. I mainly just reminded them that my arachnophobia is either 'learned' (nurture), or inherited (nature) or both - and they are directly responsible regardless.
    (Original post by ANM775)
    Large Spiders are like Bosses in Video games, They harbour large HP's and seldom can be beaten with one hit.

From experience, I'd also say it is probably still alive. I'm the type of person who can't rest knowing there's a sizeable spider in house and will go searching for it. Even though I have a slight phobia for them.

From experience as well, If you try and kill a spider ....and you fail ...and it gets away, it tends to remember the attempt on it's life and hold a grudge. It may try to attack humans the next time it encounters them and instead of running away from them like before start running towards them aggressively looking for revenge.
    Can confirm. Literally got chased by a spider around the house before.

ReputationRep:
    Can confirm. Literally got chased by a spider around the house before.
    Unfortunately no, she can’t check because she has a back problem and can’t move the oven. I’m also too weak to move an entire oven and also will probably faint if I see the spider. What if it isn’t there? I’m actually terrified to step into the kitchen knowing that there’s a monster there

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately no, she can’t check because she has a back problem and can’t move the oven. I’m also too weak to move an entire oven and also will probably faint if I see the spider. What if it isn’t there? I’m actually terrified to step into the kitchen knowing that there’s a monster there
    Can you order food delivery?

In the 'extra' section request someone who does not have arachnophobia.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably you are unaware that the average British home has about a hundred different species of spider in it. Obviously there will be rather more than one of each of those species.

ReputationRep:
    Pour some petrol back there and turn the oven on.

ReputationRep:
    Our cat chases and eats spiders, if anyone wants to borrow him, our rates are reasonable. He's a bit scared of really large spiders though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.