SWITCHING from Sheffield School of Architecture to Bartlett? Watch

tulejao
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello everyone,

I'm a fresher at the SSOA (Sheffield School of Architecture) which was my second choice after not getting accepted into the Bartlett. Since Ive done two summer schools at the Bartlett and was generally very hooked on going there, it wasn't the happiest outcome for me. But anyway, Sheffield seemed good and also quite high in the ranking.
I am currently very divided as to whether I should try and switch to Bartlett or stay here.
I will appreciate every opinion/tip!

1. After spending 2 months at SSOA I must say it's been a very nice experience- kind of a mix between the artsy and the technical side to the studies.

ALSO, Sheffield came first for Architecture in the UK in the 2019 Guardian Ranking and 3rd in the TopUniversities ranking

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...r-architecture
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s=Architecture

In both of them SSOA outranked Bartlett this year.

2. But THEN- UCL seems a lot more prestigious (I'm from Poland so this is only my obervations based on my short residence in the UK) and I am getting the impression that London just has this dynamic, fresh and energetic vibe that northern cities do not have.
3. Does Bartlett just seem more attractive to potential employers??? Even though the ranking speaks for itself.

Help a lost Polish girl out and share some advice!

Cheers
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by tulejao)
Hello everyone,

I'm a fresher at the SSOA (Sheffield School of Architecture) which was my second choice after not getting accepted into the Bartlett. Since Ive done two summer schools at the Bartlett and was generally very hooked on going there, it wasn't the happiest outcome for me. But anyway, Sheffield seemed good and also quite high in the ranking.
I am currently very divided as to whether I should try and switch to Bartlett or stay here.

1. After spending 2 months at SSOA I must say it's been a very nice experience- kind of a mix between the artsy and the technical side to the studies.

ALSO, Sheffield came first for Architecture in the UK in the 2019 Guardian Ranking and 3rd in the TopUniversities ranking

2. But THEN- UCL seems a lot more prestigious (I'm from Poland so this is only my obervations based on my short residence in the UK) and I am getting the impression that London just has this dynamic, fresh and energetic vibe that northern cities do not have.
3. Does Bartlett just seem more attractive to potential employers??? Even though the ranking speaks for itself.

Cheers
Why not just apply and see if you can get in?
You can also look at other unis as well.
You only seem to have one answer and will just spend your course being miserable and wishing you were elsewhere which everyone will pick up on.
Go for it imo.

Most international students are determined to go to London and are hooked on prestige, so the one thing you dont want is regret.
You will also need to factor in how you will cope with the extra expense.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Your chances are extremely low.

Give it a try if you think you can apply without detriment to your current studies. But if not then focus on part II
toffeeandwhisker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
Your chances are extremely low.

Give it a try if you think you can apply without detriment to your current studies. But if not then focus on part II
(Original post by tulejao)
Hello everyone,

Cheers
I would be very careful about switching to UCL. London may seem exciting but it can be very challenging living there as a student. Also UCL do not do well for student satisfaction. Sheffield Architecture department has an excellent reputation for employers so I would advise you not to change courses at this stage unless you are very unhappy on your present course.
martinetlau
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As a SSOA graduate, and as a candidate of MArch, I would say it i better off to stick with Sheffield to get a high 2:1 or 1st, THEN move on to UCL for its Part 2 program.
Quyen_3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by martinetlau)
As a SSOA graduate, and as a candidate of MArch, I would say it i better off to stick with Sheffield to get a high 2:1 or 1st, THEN move on to UCL for its Part 2 program.
Hi im thinking to apply to Sheffield this year to do architecture. I love the sound of the course but I'm not too sure about the area and building..? What do you think of it? Any opinion and advice would be really great just so I have an idea of where I will be studying for 3 or more years)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (114)
17.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.58%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.88%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.06%

Watched Threads