The Student Room Group

Atheism makes me feel empty

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Strange how this thread began as a helpthread for a lost person and went into this lol
Original post by cghhu
How do they know about Columbus or Native Americans? They don't.

They live in an extremely primitive and tribal way of life. It is dangerous for children and is in general a dangerous environment to be in. I doubt they have the institution of marriage and i can bet you that theft isn't frowned upon, but is settled in a primitive animalistic way.

They don't but we do and we know how it ended for the native Americans.How are they in a dangerous environment? If anything the danger comes from people's attempts to contact them which just exposes them to diseases.You could argue they have a better life than most people here.Certainly it would be more free.And marriage is not the monopoly of religion.It predates religion by thousands of years.

But that wasn't the point.The point is that they are still there after centuries and centuries.If they have no sense of morality as you say is not possible without the bible then how have they not killed each other? The island should be completely uninhabited by your logic.
Original post by cghhu
So you mean to tell me there is nothing to be criticized in lack of faith?

Don't blind yourself with ignorance.

Plus, a big issue with atheists is that they commonly are actually anti-theists and actively rail against any kind of religious activity.

Nope but there is a heck of a lot to be criticised about believing something with no evidence which is all faith is.
Reply 283
Original post by RS564
They don't but we do and we know how it ended for the native Americans.How are they in a dangerous environment? If anything the danger comes from people's attempts to contact them which just exposes them to diseases.You could argue they have a better life than most people here.Certainly it would be more free.And marriage is not the monopoly of religion.It predates religion by thousands of years.

But that wasn't the point.The point is that they are still there after centuries and centuries.If they have no sense of morality as you say is not possible without the bible then how have they not killed each other? The island should be completely uninhabited by your logic.

No, by your logic anywhere without the bible will automatically self-suicide. I never said anything to that effect. You did. I am talking about the basic moral principles of society and the things required to have a place live to a good standard until they die then final judgement, redemption and reward for the weak. Sure a society can survive if they are horribly incestuous and have a thieving culture but they will receive the wages of their sin in the next life
Original post by cghhu
No, by your logic anywhere without the bible will automatically self-suicide. I never said anything to that effect. You did. I am talking about the basic moral principles of society and the things required to have a place live to a good standard until they die then final judgement, redemption and reward for the weak. Sure a society can survive if they are horribly incestuous and have a thieving culture but they will receive the wages of their sin in the next life

There is no evidence that religion is needed for morality and quite a lot against it.Scandanavia is one of the least religious places on earth yet it's also one of the happiest and most prosperous and advanced.Saudi Arabia on the other hand is heavily religious and is possibly one of the least moral societies on earth.Nothing links religion to morality.I don't know why religious people keep insisting on this.In fact religion very often leads to a distinct lack of morality.See the Inquisition if you want examples.
Reply 285
Original post by RS564
There is no evidence that religion is needed for morality and quite a lot against it.Scandanavia is one of the least religious places on earth yet it's also one of the happiest and most prosperous and advanced.Saudi Arabia on the other hand is heavily religious and is possibly one of the least moral societies on earth.Nothing links religion to morality.I don't know why religious people keep insisting on this.In fact religion very often leads to a distinct lack of morality.See the Inquisition if you want examples.

I don't talk about violent false religions like Islam, i'm talking about Christianity. Of course Saudi Arabia is immoral because it follows a disgusting man-made 'moral code'. Christianity follows the salvation of humanity and how anyone and everyone can be saved.

And by the way, anyone can bring up atrocities for anything.

See Stalin/Hitler if you want examples.
Original post by cghhu
I don't talk about violent false religions like Islam, i'm talking about Christianity. Of course Saudi Arabia is immoral because it follows a disgusting man-made 'moral code'. Christianity follows the salvation of humanity and how anyone and everyone can be saved.

And by the way, anyone can bring up atrocities for anything.

See Stalin/Hitler if you want examples.

Hitler was a Christian.This is him in Mein Kampf
" Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the almighty creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord"

That's unequivocal right there.He was a Christian.Didnt stop him doing horrific things.In fact it probably contributed.It was after all the Jews who killed Jesus.As for Islam it's a far younger religion than Christianity.Islam is simply where Christianity was a few centuries ago.Many horrific things were done in the name of Christianity.Its not a problem exclusive to Islam.Its just that Christianity has mellowed as it's got older Islam hasn't.Christianity likes to present itself as salvation but it only says that after it's told us that we're all disgusting and fallen beings.It tells us we're all terrible and then presents itself as a saviour.Its whole ideology is one of shame.Call me naive but I prefer to think of myself as a good person and not inherently fallen or sinful.
Reply 287
Original post by RS564
Hitler was a Christian.This is him in Mein Kampf
" Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the almighty creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord"

That's unequivocal right there.He was a Christian.Didnt stop him doing horrific things.In fact it probably contributed.It was after all the Jews who killed Jesus.As for Islam it's a far younger religion than Christianity.Islam is simply where Christianity was a few centuries ago.Many horrific things were done in the name of Christianity.Its not a problem exclusive to Islam.Its just that Christianity has mellowed as it's got older Islam hasn't.Christianity likes to present itself as salvation but it only says that after it's told us that we're all disgusting and fallen beings.It tells us we're all terrible and then presents itself as a saviour.Its whole ideology is one of shame.Call me naive but I prefer to think of myself as a good person and not inherently fallen or sinful.

Hitler rejected the divinity of Jesus because he was 'too jewish' in his eyes. I do not personally count that as a christian. He feigned his christianity to get him more votes.

And lets say for a minute that you have faith and you believe Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge and God banished them (The first sin; disobedience). Did you not inherit the first/original sin from Adam because he was the first man and your ancestor?

I don't have an issue with you not believing in God RS564, it isn't my place to judge you for your beliefs. Just overall in future, try to keep a more open mind to religion because you seem to adamantly reject faith which is not how you grow your mind.
Original post by cghhu
let me start with your response. all of these 'golden rules' you are thinking of came around because of God and religion

Absolute and utter nonsense. Human beings existed and were thriving long before we invented religions. And we wouldn’t have survived and formed successful tribal communities without cooperating, sharing, protecting those weaker than ourselves etc. Religion didn’t invent morals, it merely incorporated moral values that already existed in human communities. Many animals even display basic morals and they clearly have no knowledge of religion, which further highlights the evolutionary advantage of behaving in a typically moral manner.
(edited 5 years ago)
I look at religion as a fantasy type belief. I don't believe there is an actual god, but it's reassuring to imagine that you're being looked over, so i like to do exactly that.

This might be a bad coping strategy, so don't do for it if it's not comforting.
Original post by cghhu
Did you not inherit the first/original sin from Adam because he was the first man and your ancestor?

hello
IMHO, the idea that we "inherit" sins is totally absurd. Responsibilities are personal, not "inherited", and neither are they bought, sold, mortgaged or rented

best
Original post by Joe2001
I was raised Catholic but due to it's beliefs on certain issues and the way it has dealt with some situations,I no longer consider myself Catholic in any way.

At the moment, I don't have any beliefs but the idea of there being nothing out there scares me. I also just feel that the idea of not having any faith or guidance makes me feel empty.

As an LGBT person, I struggle with religion and as a teenager, I am probably not the only person to question religion.

Where can I go from here?

Please Catholicism isnt the right denomination as they "serve" Mary and God is Only to be exalted. Look for Chridtian denominations where the Word of God is the basis of church. Eg. Pentecost. Your life will change forever. Remember God loves you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending