Should I just give up trying to put on muscle mass?

Watch
akash3141
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My height is 180 centimetres and my weight is roughly 66kg. I have a very skinny physique.

I started going to the gym at the start of the summer and I was doing it ALL. I had a diet plan and was going to the gym 6 days a week with a chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders/legs split and abs everyday. Fast forward to mid September and my weight was 67 kg (which probably was because weight varies throughout the day anyway).

Trust me when I say this, my diet plan was HARD to follow. All clean foods with high protein content and roughly 3,000 calories a day. I'm surprised why it made no difference? Also I thought the least that would happen considering i'm skinny anyway is that i'd get abs but even that didn't happen.

Are my genetics really that ****? I'm not manlet height but i'm not lanklet height either so I don't get why i'm not making any gains or putting on any weight? Any suggestions?
ultimateradman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Instead of following such a clean plan why don't you just eat a **** load of carbs, whilst working out hard. Im no expert, but if i were you I'd just keep going whilst also eating lots, no harm in keeping fit.
akash3141
Rep:
?
(Original post by ultimateradman)
Instead of following such a clean plan why don't you just eat a **** load of carbs, whilst working out hard. Im no expert, but if i were you I'd just keep going whilst also eating lots, no harm in keeping fit.
I also think it's some problem with my diet. But is there any point in just eating everything because i'll have to lose the fat anyway, lol? Also, i'm a student so I can't really afford to spend too much money on food.
Is there any fool proof, SIMPLE trick diet??
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try taking an extra day or 2 off the weight training so that you give your muscles more time to repair.
ultimateradman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by akash3141)
I also think it's some problem with my diet. But is there any point in just eating everything because i'll have to lose the fat anyway, lol? Also, i'm a student so I can't really afford to spend too much money on food.
Is there any fool proof, SIMPLE trick diet??
I don't think there is man.
akash3141
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaseyB)
Try taking an extra day or 2 off the weight training so that you give your muscles more time to repair.
Doing that right now. Been trying a full body workout, 3x a week for the past month but still not done ****, loll
Amazing-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My height is 180 centimetres and my weight is roughly 66kg. I have a very skinny physique.

I started going to the gym at the start of the summer and I was doing it ALL. I had a diet plan and was going to the gym 6 days a week with a chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders/legs split and abs everyday. Fast forward to mid September and my weight was 67 kg (which probably was because weight varies throughout the day anyway).

Trust me when I say this, my diet plan was HARD to follow. All clean foods with high protein content and roughly 3,000 calories a day. I'm surprised why it made no difference? Also I thought the least that would happen considering i'm skinny anyway is that i'd get abs but even that didn't happen.

Are my genetics really that ****? I'm not manlet height but i'm not lanklet height either so I don't get why i'm not making any gains or putting on any weight? Any suggestions?
Try a full body routine for a while and see how that works.
Enginerd.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you progressing on your gym workouts? Or are all your days at the gym the exact same reps/weights/sets. If you've been going to the gym consistently for a month and eating above maintenance and haven't made any noticable changes as a noob, there's something wrong with what you're doing.
Wibble199p
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Not everyone is able to build up muscle mass as easily as each other. Some men aren't designed to be able to become strong and muscular and look like The Rock (Dwayne Johnson for those who don't know who I'm talking about). Some men are only designed to be able to become lean like John Cryer. I'd say work with your body, set realistic goals. If you are hitting the gym you may get thinner just eating lots of food only to then burn it off.

At least you can eat whatever you like and not worry about getting fat until you're older and your metabolism slows down (at which time it'll be much easier for you to gain muscle).

Good luck!

I say Crueryer

[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]American actor[/color]
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol "lanklet"

im 180-185cm and Im about 80kg. I dont do meal plans and calorie counts, but not because they do or dont work, just because I cba. I eat mindlessly, casually, and I realise it's red meat all the time like steaks and chops and mince of all cattle type especially cow, then i love chicken. I buffed up starting young because i do calisthenics. Look it up. I also run a lot and with weights and with incline (sprint up hills and stairs repeatedly), so that makes up for "leg days". I get big easy and quick, i looked like a proper man when I was a teen. Idk what it is so i cant tell you if it's genetics or metabolism. But thats literally all I do.

Eat meat and pump and try doing it out of the gym. The muscles being targeted from the techniques and equipment at the gym are not targeted during the day out of the gym. Just generally being active and fit can bulk you up not just gymming. Im sure the Spartans were muscular but they didnt have a gym.
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You didn't gain weight because 3000 calories is obviously not enough of a surplus for you. It isn't for me either. I know I need more like 3500 to gain weight. The metabolism can regulate itself up or down to an extent to compensate for more or less energy you're taking in from food, to try and maintain homeostasis (your body staying the same). If you don't gain any weight at 3000 calories, keep increasing that amount until you see weight gain. It's as simple as that. An easy way to do that is to drink some additional whole milk on top what you're already eating, if eating more food would be difficult for you.

As for the abs, you don't see any until you actually build some abs, the same way you build any muscle. You clearly need to eat more than 3000 calories to do that. People who lose fat and then all of a sudden have abs already had them under the fat.
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Enginerd.)
Are you progressing on your gym workouts? Or are all your days at the gym the exact same reps/weights/sets. If you've been going to the gym consistently for a month and eating above maintenance and haven't made any noticable changes as a noob, there's something wrong with what you're doing.
Exactly
akash3141
Rep:
?
(Original post by Enginerd.)
Yeah I've been doing progressive overload with proper form but it really hasn't changed me :/
MuggleBorn9&3/4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME

I'm a 5'7 female and I weight 7 and a half stone, and I've struggled with my weight forever. I have a huge appetite, I eat a wide variety of things, but I've just never gained weight. I've had blood tests, urine samples, even an endoscopy to check for a gluten intolerance- but nothing. I kept food diaries for weeks to rule out eating disorders because my parents and doctor wouldn't believe me when I was eating. No matter what I do, nothing works. I just wanna gain weight!

Can't really give you any suggestions other than I heard of this syrup called 'Apetamin' that my mom's friend recommended to me. Apparently it boosts your appetite and causes slow, steady weight gain. As far as I know, it's available pretty much everywhere, and there's loads of youtube video diaries of people who have documented their weight gain journey with it. Let me know if you make any progress- I could use tips too!
Jonnyboy799
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I spent ages at the gym trying to put on size and muscle but some people are just hard gainers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardgainer

I had to accept that and go to the gym to keep fit and exercise.
WaffleApple
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Seriously man? When did 3000 calories become a bulk? Try 5000 calories then come back and cry about genetics.

This is mostly your diet and not your genetics that is holding you back

If you have a naturally lean physique and high metabolism that means that you simply have to eat more than the average man when bulking. It does not make it any harder to bulk providing you adjust your diet to fit in place with your metabolism.

You can easily make a few homemade weight gainer shakes that contain 1.5k + calories in each drink. Have at least 2 of these per day and you should be able to bulk without eating much more than you was doing on your last diet plan.

Also what is your macro split?
akash3141
Rep:
?
(Original post by WaffleApple)
Seriously man? When did 3000 calories become a bulk? Try 5000 calories then come back and cry about genetics.

This is mostly your diet and not your genetics that is holding you back

If you have a naturally lean physique and high metabolism that means that you simply have to eat more than the average man when bulking. It does not make it any harder to bulk providing you adjust your diet to fit in place with your metabolism.

You can easily make a few homemade weight gainer shakes that contain 1.5k + calories in each drink. Have at least 2 of these per day and you should be able to bulk without eating much more than you was doing on your last diet plan.

Also what is your macro split?
Bro, I'm a uni student lol. I can't afford to spend that much on food to eat 5000 calories a day.

I've bought a serious mass weight gainer to see if that works though and in terms of macros, I don't really keep track but doing the 1 gram of protein/ lb of bodyweight stuff and checking my calories constantly too.
WaffleApple
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bro, I'm a uni student lol. I can't afford to spend that much on food to eat 5000 calories a day.

I've bought a serious mass weight gainer to see if that works though and in terms of macros, I don't really keep track but doing the 1 gram of protein/ lb of bodyweight stuff and checking my calories constantly too.
Yes you can easily afford to consume 5000 calories a day. Maybe not all from delicioius food items but you can definitely hit them numbers with right foods.

When you make your mass gainer shakes add peanut butter, olive oil (or coconut oil), ice cream and full fat milk. Oh add 100g of porridge oats to each shake too. Blend it all into a liquid.

Alternatively just drink 4 pints of full fat milk on top of your original 3k diet plan. 4 pints = 1450 calories this would put your total calories on 4.5k. Not far off that 5k mark is it? All it would cost you to add them extra 1450 calories is £1.09. The 4 pints of milk each day diet is popular with student bodybuilders.

You need to start thinking like a bodybuilder and not like a crossfit guy. You don't need to be eating steak, chicken and expensive food items.
WaffleApple
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Look into EDT too
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dammnnn I see gains even after a half assed workout, my metabolism is rubbish though. If I eat over 1500 and I’m not bulking I’ll get fatter, so 2000-2500 calories on a bulk and I see the differences come through after a few days.

The milk thing up there is a good idea, you can also get bulking shakes it doesn’t haven’t to be fresh foodstuff. It does sound like a diet issue, I bet you were one of those kids who could like crazy and not get fat
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (47)
23.04%
No (157)
76.96%

Watched Threads