memorizing a whole book

Watch this thread
GCSE STUDENT 19
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
if I a memorize the biology cgp book would I get an A
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GCSE STUDENT 19)
if I a memorize the biology cgp book would I get an A
(a) You won't be able to 'memorise' the entire book
(b) Exams are (supposed to be) more than memorisation. Even if you could memorise it, this still wouldn't allow you access to the higher grades because that requires synthesis and being able to use existing knowledge in novel situations.

So,in summary, memorisation is neither possible nor required.
Zedress
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
(a) You won't be able to 'memorise' the entire book
(b) Exams are (supposed to be) more than memorisation. Even if you could memorise it, this still wouldn't allow you access to the higher grades because that requires synthesis and being able to use existing knowledge in novel situations.

So,in summary, memorisation is neither possible nor required.
Woah woah, you never know, they could have a photographic memory,or just a really good one..
But tbh, gcse exams really are about memorisation. I remember my science teacher telling me himself, something along the lines of 'It's not about understanding it, you just have to remember everything' and sadly, it's true. Schools don't want you to learn anymore, you just need to memorise and recall. I wouldn't recommend actually memorising an entire textbook though, but if you do decide to do it, let me know how it goes
username4169146
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
that's what I did and got an A, same for physics and chem. a good memory is needed particularly with biology as there's so much information to learn rather than equations so much. past papers are also extremely important and sometimes the same questions come up.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zedress)
Woah woah, you never know, they could have a photographic memory,or just a really good one..
Neither will help answer synoptic questions.
StudyBug129
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
In my opinion I feel like with biology you could get away with just memorising it, but to access those higher marks you would need to learn how to answer the question.
It’s good learning the materials but the key is applying concepts in your answers. You need to know exactly what the question is asking for and how to word it.

My advice would be to memorise answer structure as well, and do loads of practise papers to test your knowledge.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
you're better off doing practice papers alongside that too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (93)
20%
The paper was reasonable (178)
38.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.59%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.13%

Watched Threads