username4308460
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey. I did a little bit of research and people with a biochem degree and welcome to have a career in healthcare.
I am going to do my GCSEs next year and I was wondering how long it would take for me to become a healthcare assistant. xxx
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A Biochemistry degree isn't really applicable to a career as a Healthcare Assistant, which isn't a role that requires a degree.
username4308460
Rep:
?
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
A Biochemistry degree isn't really applicable to a career as a Healthcare Assistant, which isn't a role that requires a degree.
ok thank you. please can you list all of the careers in biochemistry
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Narmi149)
ok thank you. please can you list all of the careers in biochemistry
I think I'll refrain from that. I think you need to do some research. It's your career, it's a big decision.
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't want you to think I'm being mean by not helping you, but I see a lot of people come on here and basically ask to be told what career to do.

There are a few red flags to me that indicate you've done very little research on this. Before I even applied for the degree I did I had planned my full route to my career and I executed it precisely. That's unusual among students admittedly but whereas I may be at one end of the spectrum you're seemingly at the complete opposite.

One of the red flags is that you use the term Healthcare Assistant. They are not employed in laboratories. You may be confusing them with a Medical Laboratory Assistant, which is a Band 2 role and, although graduates can apply, only GCSE's are required.

The other red flag is that you seemingly showed an interest in immunology and then asked for careers in biochemistry, two different types of hospital laboratory.

For me it feels like you don't really know what you want so please, have a proper look into it.

If you are wanting to work in NHS laboratories in a graduate role, that would be a Biomedical Scientist, just to give you somewhere to start.
username4308460
Rep:
?
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
I don't want you to think I'm being mean by not helping you, but I see a lot of people come on here and basically ask to be told what career to do.

There are a few red flags to me that indicate you've done very little research on this. Before I even applied for the degree I did I had planned my full route to my career and I executed it precisely. That's unusual among students admittedly but whereas I may be at one end of the spectrum you're seemingly at the complete opposite.

One of the red flags is that you use the term Healthcare Assistant. They are not employed in laboratories. You may be confusing them with a Medical Laboratory Assistant, which is a Band 2 role and, although graduates can apply, only GCSE's are required.

The other red flag is that you seemingly showed an interest in immunology and then asked for careers in biochemistry, two different types of hospital laboratory.

For me it feels like you don't really know what you want so please, have a proper look into it.

If you are wanting to work in NHS laboratories in a graduate role, that would be a Biomedical Scientist, just to give you somewhere to start.
Thank yiu :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads