The Student Room Group

Unsure about uni ( Nursing)

So I’ve completed my ucas application but after talking with my family, I don’t know if I want to go to uni. Ive applied for Learning Disability Nursing and have 2 jobs based around caring for children with disabilities so just assumed this is the next step. My Mum basically said she thinks I shouldn’t go because what if at the end of it I don’t like it and can’t study another degree unless I find it myself. I don’t really know what I want to do but I really enjoy my jobs and thought that it would be the next step, any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve completed my ucas application but after talking with my family, I don’t know if I want to go to uni. Ive applied for Learning Disability Nursing and have 2 jobs based around caring for children with disabilities so just assumed this is the next step. My Mum basically said she thinks I shouldn’t go because what if at the end of it I don’t like it and can’t study another degree unless I find it myself. I don’t really know what I want to do but I really enjoy my jobs and thought that it would be the next step, any advice?

Hi there,

Hoping I can help here!

It sounds to me from what you have wrote that you're very passionate about this and enjoy working in these jobs so I am a little unsure why you've talked yourself out of it?

You may very well finish the degree and not like it or you might do a year and realise you don't like it. You get 4 years of student finance meaning that if you do change your mind after a year you still have 3 years of funding available. Many of us have taken degrees that we wish we hadn't or have changed our minds later in the future on our career and it is still possible change career later in life.

If you are thinking that it's just university in general that's not right for you, you could look into the option of going through an apprenticeship route. You can do a range of healthcare based apprenticeships and even work up to the level 6 nursing degree through an apprenticeship now.

Let's say you don't go into nursing, what else would you like to do instead?

Thansk - Sophie.
Hi
As a qualified nurse I can see where your coming from. I too worked with children and people in a caring profession and felt nursing was the next progression. It was actually the best decision I made. The course was intense and all the practice placements were worth while As I was a mature student with children I put my all into it because this was my last chance as a career.
I would say Adult nursing is more encompassing and you can work across all sectors of society if you limit yourself to learning disability you may see yourself stuck. I work in community and work with all older adults and surgery. So don’t be disheartened as becoming a nurse is a lifetime job and very varied, one minute your saving someone’s life the next your treating someone coming to the end of life.
At the end of the day it’s your call, and the careers for nursing either private or public is immense.
Reply 3
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Hoping I can help here!

It sounds to me from what you have wrote that you're very passionate about this and enjoy working in these jobs so I am a little unsure why you've talked yourself out of it?

You may very well finish the degree and not like it or you might do a year and realise you don't like it. You get 4 years of student finance meaning that if you do change your mind after a year you still have 3 years of funding available. Many of us have taken degrees that we wish we hadn't or have changed our minds later in the future on our career and it is still possible change career later in life.

If you are thinking that it's just university in general that's not right for you, you could look into the option of going through an apprenticeship route. You can do a range of healthcare based apprenticeships and even work up to the level 6 nursing degree through an apprenticeship now.

Let's say you don't go into nursing, what else would you like to do instead?

Thansk - Sophie.

Hi, I have no clue what else I would do. I feel like everyone else knows what they want to do with their life, but I don’t. I like helping people and really enjoy my jobs, but I don’t know what else to do. Thank you for your reply 😊 I’m going to send my application off and see what happens, I’ve applied for 4 LD Nursing and 1 Dual LD and Child Nursing
Hi, I have no clue what else I would do. I feel like everyone else knows what they want to do with their life, but I don’t. I like helping people and really enjoy my jobs, but I don’t know what else to do. Thank you for your reply 😊 I’m going to send my application off and see what happens, I’ve applied for 4 LD Nursing and 1 Dual LD and Child Nursing

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

It's very normal to be unsure as for every person who know exactly what it is they want to to, I guarantee there are 5 who don't!

I wish you the very best of luck with your application and as Sophie mentioned, there are always alternative routes available if this isn’t exactly what you want.

You can always get back in touch on here, or if you would prefer to speak with one of our expert advisers, they are available for free from 8am to 10pm every day so you’ve always got an option for further advice!

Good luck!

Tom.
Hi
As a qualified nurse I can see where your coming from. I too worked with children and people in a caring profession and felt nursing was the next progression. It was actually the best decision I made. The course was intense and all the practice placements were worth while As I was a mature student with children I put my all into it because this was my last chance as a career.
I would say Adult nursing is more encompassing and you can work across all sectors of society if you limit yourself to learning disability you may see yourself stuck. I work in community and work with all older adults and surgery. So don’t be disheartened as becoming a nurse is a lifetime job and very varied, one minute your saving someone’s life the next your treating someone coming to the end of life.
At the end of the day it’s your call, and the careers for nursing either private or public is immense.

Hello

Can I ask what type of timetable you have as a nursing student? what hours are you studying? at placements? and do you get a day off a week?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest