The Student Room Group

Do all medical schools offer full body dissection?

Hi,

I was just wondering if most medical schools offer full body dissection or is there a select few, such as Sheffield and Nottingham?

Thanks for any help!
Original post by eron2463
Hi,

I was just wondering if most medical schools offer full body dissection or is there a select few, such as Sheffield and Nottingham?

Thanks for any help!

Certain universities offer full body dissection with Cardiff university being one.
Sheffield / KCL / UCL / Oxbridge / Leicester (I think) / ARU are the ones I know for sure offering dissection
Original post by tomhoney380
Sheffield / KCL / UCL / Oxbridge / Leicester (I think) / ARU are the ones I know for sure offering dissection

Only Cambridge is dissection, oxford is prosection.

Most uni's nowadays are prosection rather than dissection. I'd have a look around.
I know aberdeen gives you the opportunity to dissect later on in the course and glasgow does a little dissection to, coupled with prosection.
Get in contact with the unis more to get more info surrounding it
Original post by eron2463
Hi,

Thanks for any help!

Hi @eron2463

The Anglia Ruskin School of Medicine offers a three year full body dissection course. From Year 1 of the MBChB five year undergraduate course our students dissect Theil embalmed cadavers.

Most medical schools and anatomy departments use formalin embalmed specimens or cadavers. Our use of the Thiel embalming method ensures cadavers are preserved in as close to life- like state as possible, meaning the cadavers still possess their flexibility, and internally closely resemble the human body. This gives students a dissection experience that echoes what they would expect to see in areas such as surgery and pathology. Thiel embalming has the added benefit of offering a much safer dissection environment than one with formalin fixed tissues as the Thiel embalming solution is predominantly alcohol and salts.

Our brand new anatomy lab has 16 dissection tables with 6- 7 students working per table and we also run small group tutorials for students across the three year dissection programme. Our students will study the following systems of the body dissection programme amongst other things in their first three years:

· Year 1 Respiratory, Cardiovascular and Gastrointestinal
· Year 2 Ear, nose, throat and musculoskeletal (limbs)
· Year 3 Reproductive and nervous system

Hope this helps? We also have an Open Day on Saturday 24 November if you'd like to come and visit the School of Medicine at the ARU Chelmsford campus.

Thanks,
Emma

Quick Reply

Latest