I got put on hold for my Bristol application for Philosophy and French Watch

blobgamage
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got an email today from Bristol uni saying they've put me on hold. Does this mean I'm not good enough for them to offer me a place immediately? I am a bit confused as my predicted grades are A*A*A and the required grades are AAB or BBB with my school's contextual offer... I didn't think there would be much of a problem in getting Bristol and it's my top choice so I was quite worried when I got the email. What does this really mean?
Advertisement
Sycaphore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe because it's currently way before the UCAS deadline and want to review more applications first so are waiting a while? Don't see why with you, though, with those predicted grades!

Or maybe there's something else they need to investigate, or they're considering changes to or cancelling the course and are putting you on hold until they've decided?
shivampaw
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're worried you can email and ask. It could be a vast array of reasons to be honest. They might not be sure about (doubtful!), they might be cancelling the course, they're waiting for more applications, or a technical issue they are sorting.
Advertisement
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by annajohnson00)
I got an email today from Bristol uni saying they've put me on hold. Does this mean I'm not good enough for them to offer me a place immediately?
Philosophy and French sounds like the sort of course where they may only be expecting to admit five or six students. As such, it's likely that they'll take their time over making offers so that people applying later in the cycle aren't disadvantaged.

On the plus side, they haven't rejected you!
username3081694
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dw i'm on hold for mech engineering and already have 3 A*s in my A levels (I'm a gap year applicant). It's just so they can be fair and not give their offers on a first come first serve basis. But yeah it sucks we have to be patient :'D
Advertisement
king_ad10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
same I just got an email saying I'm being put on hold for aerospace engineering. dunno if I should be worried??
Pesandudealwis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by king_ad10)
same I just got an email saying I'm being put on hold for aerospace engineering. dunno if I should be worried?
Idk man I j got the same email for mathematics
Advertisement
Knucklecut
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also on hold for Economics and Maths
Pesandudealwis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Knucklecut)
Also on hold for Economics and Maths
What what did u get predicted and like what were our GCSES
Advertisement
JVaughan1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was put hold for V100 History as well. Email says it’s because of volume of applications, but I guess at least it isn’t a rejection...
Pesandudealwis
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JVaughan1)
I was put hold for V100 History as well. Email says it’s because of volume of applications, but I guess at least it isn’t a rejection...
I think it’s the same reason for me hopefully we get an offer at the end
Advertisement
Enchante123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also on hold for history
sharizaslam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a gap year student who got an offer from Bristol last year and am reapplying and I just got put on hold for Economics & Management. My application is near identical to my one last year with the addition of my current gap year work at Deloitte which I would think could only strengthen my application and not make it worse in any situation, yet last year I got an offer on 13th October and am on hold this year.

From seeing all the others on hold I'd think that maybe they gave away too many offers too early in the cycle last year and therefore have decided to generally put more candidates on hold this year.

I may ask why I'm on hold if a fair bit of time passes with no change, but after seeing this thread I'm far less worried/confused about the entire ordeal as it seems it's not just me.
Advertisement
willevans1403
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Got A*AA last year for my A-Levels, took a gap year to reapply and they’ve put me on hold? (For History V100)
greenBird17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got put on hold for history (v100)... :/
144kshuafbv
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ye am on hold for neuroscience :|
Leto2112
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also got put on hold for MEng CompSci - concerning as I'm predicted A*A*AA - my personal statement was perhaps too focused on projects I'd done rather than on Computer Science itself, but I talked a good deal about the subject.
My friend who applied for Psychology has an offer.
I wonder what proportion of CompSci applicants are on hold. :/
Advertisement
Faster319
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I also got put on hold for MEng CompSci just this morning, with my predicted at A*A*A*, I'm pretty sure it's due to the volume of applicants applying and so they want to wait for the January deadline before making their final decisions. At least hope so, the way they worded it seems like there were far better applicants who get their offers already and we're put on hold. Guess we just have to be patient.
Leto2112
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Faster319)
I also got on hold for MEng CompSci just this morning, with my predicted at A*A*A*, I'm pretty sure it's due to the volume of applicants applying and so they want to wait for the January deadline before making their final decisions. At least hope so, the way they worded it seems like there were far better applicants who get their offers already and we're put on hold. Guess we just have to be patient.
Someone in the Bristol applicants thread said they'd got an offer (A*A*A*A* predicted, with A* in maths already achieved) but I suppose that isn't saying much.
Faster319
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ye true, I guess it'll be just be the waiting game from now on, hope they all gives us the offer soon though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (181)
53.24%
18-20 years old (no) (39)
11.47%
20-25 years old (yes) (55)
16.18%
20-25 years old (no) (7)
2.06%
25-30 years old (yes) (22)
6.47%