The Student Room Group

Do you really get out what you put in?

Hey everyone. So I've been told over and over again that if you work hard, you will do well in your exams. However, over the summer and last few weeks at school, I have been overworking myself and constantly worrying over the amount of work I do, telling myself I'll get the results I want (I think I have mild anxiety). Although I work hard and do get good grades, I know in the back of my mind that, no matter how hard you work over the year, if you mess up that one exam, it'll all be wasted. Frankly, this though has left me quite mentally exhausted, not to mention my friends all their drama lmao. I was wondering if anyone has any advice about working hard and actually getting something out of it as motivation that, perhaps, it won't be so bad in the end after all.
Reply 1
Sometimes.

I did shite all for my GCSEs and did well.

I did shite all for my A Levels (didn't even turn up, ha), and didn't do well.
Reply 2
Oh. Well. 😂 turn up to exams, noted. Thank you!
Reply 3
Yes, it might seem like something could go wrong with anything, that's life...and there's no point really worrying about something that could randomly happen - if you work hard for your exams it's so guaranteed you will do well it's just not worth the doubt.

Grades are there forever, pain is temporary. So later on you will see it was worth it, rather than later regretting it. However, do not burn yourself out and take care of yourself, please! Cannot stress that enough, that's actually the most important part of my advice to you...

So, Take care
(edited 5 years ago)
Think of it this way: If you study subjects alternatingly, every other day, you are likely to pass all your exams rather than cramming the night before. I’m a crammer and when I cram, the information stays in my head for a long time but that’s because I have good memorization. If you can cram and remember everything then do that however, it’s going to be hard to cram for a final. So instead, study and review materials from different subjects every other day and the night before and you’ll be good. I always make sure to get some sleep in, wake up, review again, and then take an exam if i happen to be cramming.
Reply 5
Original post by Love for Love
Yes, it might seem like something could go wrong with anything, that's life...and there's no point really worrying about something that could randomly happen - if you work hard for your exams it's so guaranteed you will do well it's just not worth the doubt.

Grades are there forever, pain is temporary. So later on you will see it was worth it, rather than later regretting it. However, do not burn yourself out and take care of yourself, please! Cannot stress that enough, that's actually the most important part of my advice to you...

So, Take care

Thank you so much, that’s really helpful. You don’t possibly have any advice on how to take a mental break for someone who keeps telling themselves they have to keep working like me do you?
Reply 6
Original post by Nya.official
Think of it this way: If you study subjects alternatingly, every other day, you are likely to pass all your exams rather than cramming the night before. I’m a crammer and when I cram, the information stays in my head for a long time but that’s because I have good memorization. If you can cram and remember everything then do that however, it’s going to be hard to cram for a final. So instead, study and review materials from different subjects every other day and the night before and you’ll be good. I always make sure to get some sleep in, wake up, review again, and then take an exam if i happen to be cramming.

Thanks so much. I totally agree, sometimes when I’m forcing myself to do everything’s I end up leaving important things til last and so I’ll cram everything in.
Reply 7
Original post by Anita0211
Oh. Well. 😂 turn up to exams, noted. Thank you!

Oh I went to the exams, it was the lessons that were.. problematic :laugh:

So my cautonary tale is to do what is asked and perhaps do well.
Of course.

Effort = Good results

Effort and working smart = Great results
Reply 9
Original post by Anita0211
Thank you so much, that’s really helpful. You don’t possibly have any advice on how to take a mental break for someone who keeps telling themselves they have to keep working like me do you?

Well, I like to think of a metaphor that you can be reminded of in daily life: a brick wall has the brick blocks and the gaps/cement in between each brick. A wall of 100% bricks or 100% cement would not work effectively. Think of that as you own study ethic, you need the bricks (study time, work), but you need the regular small gaps with the cement (ie downtime for yourself, relaxing etc), otherwise it's not a firm structure (life and study structure).

So, when you feel the time is needed, drop your work on the spot and do something completely different where your mind is in another place completely for a little bit. It's also getting out of your mind for a little bit to stop you overthinking and getting tied up in your mind because that's no good either. It will take a little time to find the right techniques/activities to do this for you, but have a good try to find something outside that finds inner you.

Take care
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey! 'You get what you give' is something I really live by.Not to brag, but I've always naturally been a high achiever and as such, this has made me very ambitious- I strive high and I'm not afraid. I decided that since the new grade 9 had been introduced, and I had the potential to do so, I would work hard to get as many grade 9s as possible. Everyday, I did some work- some days I did plenty, other days, not so much. I was always 'that kid', the 'bangout' and whatever, but I wasn't 'nerdy' if that makes sense. I revised so thoroughly that when exams came round, I could just relax and go into and out of exams without having to cram. I came out with all 9s and honestly, you really do get what you put in.I understand the fear of messing up that one exam, but just think- if you prepare yourself really well and work hard as you have been (without stressing yourself out too much), there is really nothing that can stop you. Certain exams and questions may be harder, but there will always be a way you can answer it with the information you have learned.

In terms of friends- honestly, f**k their drama- its only petty and a waste of time, try not to get involved if possible.
Reply 11
Thanks so much guys, you’ve been a huge help. I’ve really been thinking about working hard to get good grades but not to a point where I’m burnt out. I’ll be on the lookout for ways to take my mind off stress (eventhough I’m sure my parents would rather I work all day 😂). Thanks again x
I can certainly say that my exam results at GCSE were proportional to the effort I put in for them. It's not always so straightforward though. Sometimes it just isn't your day when it comes to exams.
(edited 5 years ago)
Not always. You can work really hard on something but the end result and can still be disappointing. It's a bit hit or miss.
Erm. I was fed up when I was always told that and when I got rejected from all my univeristies I literally lost all hope.
I got a D for my Chemistry alevel too yet this was the subject I worked day in day out for and the teachers knew that. On results day I totally lost my belief in that " hard work pays off" yet surprisingly I got onto the course I wanted despite my Chemistry grade not being the best. So I guess hard work may not always pay off but I do believe that "you will always get what you deserve."
Yes, my hard work may not have paid off in terms of me getting a good grade but I'm still now doing the course I've always dreamt of!

Quick Reply

Latest