The Student Room Group

Visiting uni/area at Xmas hols - Exeter,Durham, Birmingham

For various unavoidable reasons, I'm needing to travel to visit 3 unis/areas during a time when most students are gone. Not ideal but better than nothing. I mainly want to get a vague feel of the campus but mostly the surrounding areas. In terms of the campus, this may sound stupid, but is lots of it going to be *completely* closed? Is anyone able to let me know how closed up it will be at the three universities listed in my title? I've researched the course/course satisfaction itself so it's mostly about the area. Planning to visit the 3 unis over the period of 14th to 19th Dec. Thanks!
Original post by LoShelton
For various unavoidable reasons, I'm needing to travel to visit 3 unis/areas during a time when most students are gone. Not ideal but better than nothing. I mainly want to get a vague feel of the campus but mostly the surrounding areas. In terms of the campus, this may sound stupid, but is lots of it going to be *completely* closed? Is anyone able to let me know how closed up it will be at the three universities listed in my title? I've researched the course/course satisfaction itself so it's mostly about the area. Planning to visit the 3 unis over the period of 14th to 19th Dec. Thanks!

The best thing to do is to call the universities to see which areas (if any) will be open. Most universities aren't closed over the entire period of the Christmas holidays but they do operate with fewer staff and have fewer facilities open.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte's Web
The best thing to do is to call the universities to see which areas (if any) will be open. Most universities aren't closed over the entire period of the Christmas holidays but they do operate with fewer staff and have fewer facilities open.

Thanks!
in addition to the advice given already Durham operate a college system so you may be advised to contact the college you are thinking of attending. You could contact the Department you intend applying for giving them the date you intend arriving as they may have a member of staff or Phd student who might be available to talk to you about the course. Most of the facilities such as restaurants and halls of residents will be closed but it is likely you will be able to walk around. The universities will be quiet at that time so ou will need to take that into account.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
in addition to the advice given already Durham operate a college system so you may be advised to contact the college you are thinking of attending. You could contact the Department you intend applying for giving them the date you intend arriving as they may have a member of staff or Phd student who might be available to talk to you about the course. Most of the facilities such as restaurants and halls of residents will be closed but it is likely you will be able to walk around. The universities will be quiet at that time so ou will need to take that into account.

Thanks v much, will definitely make some calls
Original post by LoShelton
Thanks v much, will definitely make some calls

both Exeter and Durham have more than 1 campus. Medicine and i think education at Exeter take place at St Lukes whilst most subjects are at Streatham. The sciences at Durham are on the hill campus and the humanities are in the old campus so you will need to check which campus to attend. You are more likely to get staff there on aweekday than the weekend and the further from christmas the more likely. Let me know how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending