SaphF
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help or guide me in the right direction.

I have been invited to attend an interview in 2 weeks for my PGCE in Secondary Geography. As is usual, alongside the interview I am required to teach a group of 8 students (year 9's) for 20 minutes on a topic of my choice.

I am really looking forward to it and have been prepping quite a bit for both the interview and mini lesson. I now have a topic in mind which will be Tsunamis (nice and topical). I also have a few ideas for starters and a rough idea for a plenary that I think might go down well.

I think my biggest concern is the best kind of activity for the main part – I can think of a few ways to do this if it were a normal lesson but trying to get a starter, the main chunk of the lesson and a plenary activity into 20 minutes is worrying me. I know that much of it ill be based on your rapport with students etc. but I just really want my lesson to be a hit and most importantly for them to go away having learnt something.

Any advice, tips or general wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you 😊
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The tutors are aware of the constraints of the short time slot, so I wouldn't worry too much. I think it's important that you get them being active and don't just talk at them for 20 minutes.

I guess I would structure things as 3-5 mins on a quick starter/introducing the topic, introduce the main activity and set them off on it for about 10 mins, leaving you with about 5 minutes at the end to wrap everything up and see if they've got the idea of what you were trying to teach them. Don't forget that you will lose time during transitions, as children (even well behaved ones) like to faff!

Also, don't forget that geography is a shortage subject, so you are very likely to get offers even if you aren't perfect
SaphF
Rep:
?
Hi SarcAndSpark,

Thank you for replying! Thankfully reading your advice has put my mind at ease as the one thing I wanted to avoid was just talking at the students and my plan for my Micro lesson is pretty much structured as you have mentioned so phew!
Ah yes will certainly try and account for faffing time!

Thank you again, wish me luck!
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Rather than think about it in terms of tasks, ask yourself the question - what do I want them to learn? Tsunamis - sure, but what about Tsunamis? How they are created? What are the immediate effects of Tsunamis? What are the wider global implications for coastal populations and migration as a result of Tsunamis? Etc etc. When you have decided what you are going to teach, that will guide you as to what your starter (hook) will be and your plenary about be a mini-quiz or something similar to test that they have learned it.

Good luck!
SaphF
Rep:
?
Hi,Thank you! That’s really helpful. Since writing my post I broke it down as to what exactly I want the students to learn from my lesson so really good to know I’m on the right lines. The main aspect I’m looking at teaching them is how Tsunamis are formed and so my lesson is going to be based upon that. I think it is easy to get consumed focusing on what the observer wants to see and tasks that you should include. Thank you again for your advice, I appreciate it!
SaphF
Rep:
?
Hi Folks!

Just thought I would let you know that I had my lesson and interviews this week and I have been offered a place. Thank you very much for your advice!
thenextchemist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A class quiz is always great.
Get them into groups and have multple choice questions on the board.
thenextchemist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SaphF)
Hi Folks!

Just thought I would let you know that I had my lesson and interviews this week and I have been offered a place. Thank you very much for your advice!
Oops sorry!
And congratulations!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
56.05%
I don't have everything I need (229)
43.95%

Watched Threads