The Student Room Group

Four Obese Women argue about their right to be fat on this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyjiveTjfy4

Why do women do this? Why are they arguing against the fact that it's unhealthy to be overweight? Why are they proud of their piggish behaviour? Why do they glamourise this behaviour?

Scroll to see replies

tbh the women in this video are attempting to normalise rather than glamourise body types that are considered to be fat/overweight/obese and also weight/body fat composition is not a very reliable indicator of someones health
Reply 2
Original post by cadaanshaydaan
tbh the women in this video are attempting to normalise

"In 2014 62% of adults in England were classified as overweight or obese"

It's already pretty damn normal.
Reply 3
10 minutes of fatsplaining with Piers Morgan thrown in as well, no thanks.

Just get healthy. You can eat as much as you want as long as you burn it off.
Original post by Drewski
"In 2014 62% of adults in England were classified as overweight or obese"

It's already pretty damn normal.

i meant the way people generally view obesity and fatness as a character flaw, the fact that fat people are very rarely taken seriously by doctors and hospitals and any health complications they have is seen as a byproduct of their weight etc.
Reply 5
Well. in countries like the USA where you have to pay for private insurance, you can do whatever you want with your body. However in the UK with NHS it's pretty much the other way around. Like 20-30 people will be paying for issues related to her dream to become an ill and sweatty pig.
This is such a touchy subject, but it's important to strike the balance. I don't think people should be discriminated against for being fat, but nor do I think they should be on the covers of magazines like the Cosmo cover a few months ago.

It's not about a "right" to be fat, but the media have a responsibility to portray healthy body images for young girls, and women to be fair, who are incredibly impressionable.

As a general rule, being overweight is not healthy. Okay, so you'll get some morbidly obese people who are super healthy (I struggle to believe it, but there are some who claim to have had medical tests etc) but they are most certainly in the minority. Good for them though if it's true.

It's like you can have someone who smokes 50 a day for 50 years and doesn't get cancer - but that doesn't mean we should be promoting smoking, because on the whole, it's dangerous.

One thing I can't stand is when you get people who weight approx. 50 stone, claiming that they eat a healthy balanced diet of 2,000 calories a day. That is absolute nonsense because a body of their weight would burn many, manymore calories than that just being alive, so there's no way they'd be that weight if that's all they ate. Be fat, but at the very least accept the fact that for most people it's unhealthy, and you cannot get to that weight eating a healthy diet - you just can't, it's science.
Reply 8
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
This is such a touchy subject, but it's important to strike the balance. I don't think people should be discriminated against for being fat, but nor do I think they should be on the covers of magazines like the Cosmo cover a few months ago.

It's not about a "right" to be fat, but the media have a responsibility to portray healthy body images for young girls, and women to be fair, who are incredibly impressionable.

As a general rule, being overweight is not healthy. Okay, so you'll get some morbidly obese people who are super healthy (I struggle to believe it, but there are some who claim to have had medical tests etc) but they are most certainly in the minority. Good for them though if it's true.

It's like you can have someone who smokes 50 a day for 50 years and doesn't get cancer - but that doesn't mean we should be promoting smoking, because on the whole, it's dangerous.

One thing I can't stand is when you get people who weight approx. 50 stone, claiming that they eat a healthy balanced diet of 2,000 calories a day. That is absolute nonsense because a body of their weight would burn many, manymore calories than that just being alive, so there's no way they'd be that weight if that's all they ate. Be fat, but at the very least accept the fact that for most people it's unhealthy, and you cannot get to that weight eating a healthy diet - you just can't, it's science.

You cannot be morbidly obese and healthy at the same time. Your blood pressure would be very high, all the time.
They look pretty obese, clearly they already have the right. I'd like to hear from some smackheads on their right to be heroin addicts. Heroin is one of the least damaging substances to the body, it's perfectly possible to be a healthy heroin user, where are their rights?
Original post by BFG9000
Well. in countries like the USA where you have to pay for private insurance, you can do whatever you want with your body. However in the UK with NHS it's pretty much the other way around. Like 20-30 people will be paying for issues related to her dream to become an ill and sweatty pig.

thats not how the nhs works first of all and secondly, the health care system employed in a country doesnt obviate people of their rights to autonomy and having agency over their own bodies. Jesus.
Original post by cadaanshaydaan
thats not how the nhs works first of all and secondly, the health care system employed in a country doesnt obviate people of their rights to autonomy and having agency over their own bodies. Jesus.

It's more about responsibility. Feel free to commit suicide by being morbidly obese, but also be aware that others have to foot your bill :biggrin:
Ah great just what tsr needs, another thread where keyboard warriors attack and insult people for 13 pages :h:
Original post by BFG9000
Well. in countries like the USA where you have to pay for private insurance, you can do whatever you want with your body.

Nah, the US is still very anti you putting certain substances into your body.
Original post by CoolCavy
Ah great just what tsr needs, another thread where keyboard warriors attack and insult people for 13 pages :h:

If we got rid of those threads there wouldn't be a forum...
Original post by ThomH97
10 minutes of fatsplaining with Piers Morgan thrown in as well, no thanks.

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Drewski

There wouldnt be DandCA at any rate

Spoiler

Original post by Drewski

That's quite a damning indictment, though.
Original post by BFG9000
It's more about responsibility. Feel free to commit suicide by being morbidly obese, but also be aware that others have to foot your bill :biggrin:

??? the whole point of their argument was to suggest overweight = unhealthy. and shockingly, fat ppl pay taxes too
Original post by CoolCavy
Fat people dont deserve any right

What rights are they missing?

Quick Reply