The Student Room Group

Four Obese Women argue about their right to be fat on this morning

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the beer
What rights are they missing?

None as thankfully a load of children on the student room dont run the country
A lot of people going on about it being "Right" to be fat or people "Wanting" to be fat, what you all don't seem to understand Is in the food industry, there is a market for the "better off" and the poor. The poor generally buy the cheapest that they can, the problem with that is all of the cheap food and drinks have all of the Health-Problem-Causing chemicals and ingridients In. Pot Noodles for example! (Bit racist maybe) But the chinese eat rice and noodles all of the time. I personally have only ever seen 1 fat china man. Vegetables...Organic vegetables are more expensive than "General" Vegetables (This is a perfect example)

Cheap food is filled with nasty stuff, they also put chemicals in them to make them addicting so that the consumer will buy more.

Bread! Healthier options of bread are more expensive than a standard loaf of bred.
There's a huge list of reasons why people are fat and it's not ALL down to the consumers "fault"
Original post by CoolCavy
None as thankfully a load of children on the student room dont run the country

Great we can all relax then, the heroin addicts aren't so lucky however. :frown:
I don’t think it’s right to discriminate people because of how they look , the woman have feelings and I can imagine people making derogatory weight related comments can kill the self esteem. Although I do sympathise with these women who just wanna live their lives in peace, there’s significantly less sympathy compared to those fighting against discrimination for reasons that literally cannot be changed / how they were born ie gender, skin colour , sexuality... !

I do still sympathise, though, and wonder why we can’t just be nice and leave other people alone :dontknow:
People rather they eat junk food and do a calorie deficit which is still very unhealthy. I think they know it’s unhealthy to be obese but they just want people to accept them as people now because calling them fat and everything doesn’t always push them to lose weight. They’ll just be like **** it. Can’t these women love themselves and still lose weight? Yall cant be hating on their weight and expect them to happy within themselves? Treat people how you’d like to be treated
Original post by Rainfall
People rather they eat junk food and do a calorie deficit which is still very unhealthy. I think they know it’s unhealthy to be obese but they just want people to accept them as people now because calling them fat and everything doesn’t always push them to lose weight. They’ll just be like **** it. Can’t these women love themselves and still lose weight? Yall cant be hating on their weight and expect them to happy within themselves? Treat people how you’d like to be treated

They should try developing a personality and being happy for themselves instead of expecting others to pander to them. We don't shower drug addicts or chain smokers with praise do we?
Original post by LilySpiers
They should try developing a personality and being happy for themselves instead of expecting others to pander to them. We don't shower drug addicts or chain smokers with praise do we?

They don’t want praise. They just want acceptance so they can get the motivation to lose weight. If people need to change then they need to accept themselves first. Fat shaming is not the way to go.
Original post by BFG9000
but you drain the system way more than other just because of being a prick :biggrin:

once again thats not how social programs like the nhs work....they cant be "drained"
Because fat shaming doesn't help them to lose the excess weight.
They don’t want praise. They just want acceptance so they can get the motivation to lose weight. If people need to change then they need to accept themselves first. Fat shaming is not the way to go.

Why can't they motivate themselves? If everyone relied on the 'acceptance' of others to better themselves, we would have died out as a species a long time ago. This idea of not being able to take responsibility for one's self is the reason they have ended up like this. Instead of calling for 'acceptance' they should take inspiration from the fat people who managed to achieve what they wanted without getting their ass kissed.
Original post by CoolCavy
Fat people dont deserve any right :mob: there are no contributing factors to being overweight such as depression or horomone conditions such as polycystic ovaries, they all sit in mcdonald's all day stuffing their lazy faces :fuhrer:

there is an awful reality to the fat-shaming/fat-acceptance debate.

The socialogical reaseach is pretty clear, and when you actually look at the papers, there is a very uncomfortable societal truth presented, which is:

A society that heavily stigmatises weight-gain - achieves 2 things:

1, the overweight minority, (whether through medical reasons or how they were raised or any other factor) find it even harder to loose weight. the stigma against them isolates them further, and demotivates them further
2, the healthy-weight majority, are more motivated to stay at a healthy weight, and less likely to become over weight.

This gives us a very uncomfortable decision. The more we make being over-weight acceptable, the more we can help the minority who were previously struggling with their weight... but the more we make being over-weight acceptable, the more people who would have previously maintained a healthy-weight in a stigmatised society, become overweight, and join the minority.

Its a tough decision, and one that's rarely adressed propperly, but the evidence on it is clear. The largest single factor that people of healthy weights consistantly identify, study after study, that keeps them exercising and motivated to loose weight - is societal/peer pressure. It out-ranks healthyness, and personal body-image. It is by far the biggest motivator to keep people thin.

But that same motivator, that keeps thin people thin, also keeps fat people fat. Again, the studies are consistant - societal pressure and shaming makes it harder for fat people to loose weight. They feel that its impossible, that they are useless, and they become demovated and quite, because they feel so much rejection from the society that wants them to get better.

So what do you do? You can keep the majority thinner, but it will cost you the wellbeing of the still-fat majority (many of whome can't help it, due to medical conditions) or do you risk a rising number of fat individuals, but keeping that rising number happy, and feeling good, and with the chance of posssibly loosing weight?

---

I don't think its a nice relaity to how society deals with weight, but I am yet to see any evidence to point to a different conclusion. In stead, it seems like we just need to tread a fine ballance between acceptance and stigma, and try our best to help those who need it, whilst not removing the motivation from those who are at risk.
(edited 5 years ago)
You say you don’t really care about their health so why do you feel so strongly about this? Let them be

Because I don't agree that they should be pandered to. Much like I also disagree that 'fatphobia' is a bad thing. I do let fat people be...until they try to make others change their views and attitudes just to benefit them.
Try not to let it get to you and your 'work' may actually get somewhere. .

Right i must mention that to my ovaries which make me prone to weight gain and makes it hard to lose weight
thanks for your concern 'hun' :h:
Original post by the beer
Nah, the US is still very anti you putting certain substances into your body.

Morbidly obese pay extra premium.
Surely if you were predisposed to weight gain/harder to lose weight you would try even harder to not get yourself into your mess in the first place. Prevention is the best cure they say. But still, the world still owes you nothing, hun :smile: Best thing you can do if you're unhappy with yourself is try a bit harder :biggrin:

Kindly take your life 'advice' elsewhere :smile:
Only once you and the rest of your lot stop asking for special treatment. Until then, I shall continue. Sounds like you need people to be honest and not pander to you anyway :smile:

Im not asking for special treatment. Im asking to not be insulted and patronised, like every other human deserves.
Stop giving me spurious advise based on a 2 second online encounter when you have absolutely no idea about my life, how hard i may have worked or not worked, what physical and mental conditions i have and what medication i am on all of which affects weight.
And 'getting into this mess' is insanely rude, thanks for calling my physical appearance a mess. FWIW i started gaining weight when i was an early teenager, my parents fed me and my sibling the exact same diet yet i put on more weight because of diagnosed PCOS which was later diagnosed.
Because I don't agree that they should be pandered to. Much like I also disagree that 'fatphobia' is a bad thing. I do let fat people be...until they try to make others change their views and attitudes just to benefit them.

No you don’t let fat people be. You think fat shaming is ok and fatphobia isn’t a bad thing. Making someone feel like **** to make them lose weight? You need to understand why people gain weight. Some hear the news that someone very close to them died and food never disappoints so they turn to that. Saying fattie go lose weight will definitely make them want to get up in the morning and burn the fat off. I’m guessing uve never been fat so u don’t understand how hard it can be to just suddenly lose weight
No you don’t let fat people be. You think fat shaming is ok and fatphobia isn’t a bad thing. Making someone feel like **** to make them lose weight? You need to understand why people gain weight. Some hear the news that someone very close to them died and food never disappoints so they turn to that. Saying fattie go lose weight will definitely make them want to get up in the morning and burn the fat off. I’m guessing uve never been fat so u don’t understand how hard it can be to just suddenly lose weight

When have I ever said they should lose weight? My argument is that they should stop asking for special treatment. People not pandering to their sensitivities is a consequence of being fat. As I said before, this day and age is the best time to be fat. Being overweight or obese is becoming the norm and you have an army of people defending you for your lifestyle choices. Do drug addicts or chain smokers have this? No. As for the reasons why people are fat, I am aware that there are a variety of reason. However, being overweight or obese hasn't been a common trait for humans until recently. The people who have genetic predisposition are in a tiny minority. The people on medications or with health problems could easily control their issues/prevented them of they wanted to. The people who can't afford good food can often change their spending habits/get educated so they can. For the majority it is in their control. If they are happy being fat that's fine. If they aren't happy yet choose to do nothing about it except blame others, that is the problem. There are fat people who disagree with the agenda, believe it or not. They are often the ones who take responsibility for themselves and I give them major props. Not pandering to someone just because they are fat is not fatshaming.
(edited 5 years ago)
When have I ever said they should lose weight? My argument is that they should stop asking for special treatment. People not pandering to their sensitivities is a consequence of being fat. As I said before, this day and age is the best time to be fat. Being overweight or obese is becoming the norm and you have an army of people defending you for your lifestyle choices. Do drug addicts or chain smokers have this? No. As for the reasons why people are fat, I am aware that there are a variety of reason. However, being overweight or obese hasn't been a common trait for humans until recently. The people who have genetic predisposition are in a tiny minority. The people on medications or with health problems could easily control their issues/prevented them of they wanted to. The people who can't afford good food can often change their spending habits/get educated so they can. For the majority it is in their control. If they are happy being fat that's fine. If they aren't happy yet choose to do nothing about it except blame others, that is the problem. There are fat people who disagree with the agenda, believe it or not. They are often the ones who take responsibility for themselves and I give them major props. Not pandering to someone just because they are fat is not fatshaming.

No one is defending them for their life choices. We all know that being obese is unhealthy. They’re not asking for special treatment , just to be treated like everyone else. Can you do that? You’re saying easily like you know. You’re saying easily like it doesn’t take so much struggle to lose weight in this day and age. That’s all they’re saying. They’re not harming you. If you don’t want to give them anything then ok
Ok and?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending