Takeonme44
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,
I'm currently doing a degree in Healthcare Science (Radiation Physics) at Swansea university, obviously this degree is more suited towards those who would like to work in the medical sector, but I was just wondering as to whether or not if I really wanted to, I could pursue a pure physics masters after my BSc in Radiation Physics. I mean it is still a field within physics.
Thankyou,
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The short answers is no, your degree isn't a Physics course - it's a bioscience course, with some physical science elements.

Looking through the course, I can see you don't cover multivariable/vector calculus, differential equations, matrices, or complex numbers on the maths side - this is minimal mathematical preparation for a physicist. On the physics side, you only really cover basic A-level/first year uni physics, with the exception of some additional material on nuclear/radiation physics. However, this is from a very "applied" perspective; you won't have covered any of the basic quantum mechanics to underpin the theory in your course. You're missing a great deal of background in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermal/statistical physics, and condensed matter/solid state physics which anyone on a standard IoP accredited Physics course will have. In fact, you might not even cover enough basic mechanics/waves content even...You might have a suitable background for a very focused masters in Biophysics/Medical Physics or Medical Imaging, but for a typical Physics masters course you have realistically nowhere near enough background to even approach it, at present.

However, if you did want to pursue that angle, you can get funding from SFE for a second part time undergraduate degree in a STEM field, which may include appropriate Physics courses (the OU have a part time Physics degree at the very least). This would allow you to get the necessary background to continue to a masters and/or PhD in Physics (although it would have to be a part time course due to how second degree funding is arranged, since you already have a first degree in an AHP field you could realistically be working in area related to your first degree part time and earning a reasonable wage along the way - plus your work would be tangentially related to some of the physics you're doing, compared to if you were just working in service/administration environments).

That said, you may have a suitable background from the healthcare science course to work (rather than study) in a physics-related area outside of healthcare, specifically something in the realm of radiation safety/similar technician type work in that area, which could come up in various sectors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.25%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (643)
49.23%

Watched Threads