The Student Room Group

Turned 18 a few days ago, need advice

I'm still living with my mum because I'm a full time student (20 hours in college and a further 15 - 20 hours of course work outside of college a week) My mum recently signed me up for a job that I had no knowledge of and forced me to go to the interview which is all fine and good but now that job wants me to go in Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, it's only 4 hours a day and then Saturday is 7 hours however am I being unreasonable if I say I can't do it or can only work Thursday and Fridays, I'm in college every day during the week and get little free time as it is and now out of nowhere I'm being told I have to work an extra 15 - 20 hours a week (I'm doing a coursework intensive course so I barley get any free time at home) and I just want to chill out if I'm being honest, working weekdays is fine but during the weekends being made to work especially when I'm getting things like 2 - 9pm it feels like my only break days are being completely taken up by work (bartending) that I didn't even sign myself up for
no, don't do it lol. ask for fewer shifts and if they don't give it get a job somewhere else. I find it hard enough doing two shifts tuesday and Thursday at the same time as college
Original post by hyphenOG
I'm still living with my mum because I'm a full time student (20 hours in college and a further 15 - 20 hours of course work outside of college a week) My mum recently signed me up for a job that I had no knowledge of and forced me to go to the interview which is all fine and good but now that job wants me to go in Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, it's only 4 hours a day and then Saturday is 7 hours however am I being unreasonable if I say I can't do it or can only work Thursday and Fridays, I'm in college every day during the week and get little free time as it is and now out of nowhere I'm being told I have to work an extra 15 - 20 hours a week (I'm doing a coursework intensive course so I barley get any free time at home) and I just want to chill out if I'm being honest, working weekdays is fine but during the weekends being made to work especially when I'm getting things like 2 - 9pm it feels like my only break days are being completely taken up by work (bartending) that I didn't even sign myself up for

Perhaps have a word with the employer and see if they can compromise on the times you work, and for example, during holidays you could pick up extra hours or something like that? :smile:
Could always do deliveroo, though you all must be pretty poor if your required to work. Should be discretionary at your age.
Speak to the company and see what they can do for you but don't put too much pressure on yourself and get stressed. Good luck.
Is the money for you or your mom?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending