The Student Room Group

6 weeks in and looking at transfers.

I'm doing a combined english course with literature, language, and writing. Just started. I chose the uni because it offered all 3 and had a variety in the optional modules. There were about 5 courses I knew I wanted to do really badly, and the rest I'm indifferent about. Nothing I especially love or hate.
The second and third years picked their options, and 3 of my 5 are the least popular courses. The lecturer basically said that they weren't definitely in jeopardy but there were other modules they were thinking of rotating in as far as the bottom 3 were concerned because every module gets the same/similar amount of funding and there's no point giving the same amount of time and money to a course that 2 people are doing as a course 20 people are doing.
We're the last year that this course is available to so I'm hoping they'll just leave it alone. But they said they have these other courses they want to do instead and they're in a position that if there was a consensus to nix one or more of the bottom 3 they could switch them out literally tomorrow, they're that prepared to make the changes.
If they did go ahead I don't know what I'd do. Of the three courses, 2 of them apply directly to the job I'm aiming to do in the long run (teaching) and without being able to do those 2 modules I'd have no interest in continuing this course.
I would finish the first year, if that makes most sense, and then I'd be looking at transferring next summer.
Is it doable?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm doing a combined english course with literature, language, and writing. Just started. I chose the uni because it offered all 3 and had a variety in the optional modules. There were about 5 courses I knew I wanted to do really badly, and the rest I'm indifferent about. Nothing I especially love or hate.
The second and third years picked their options, and 3 of my 5 are the least popular courses. The lecturer basically said that they weren't definitely in jeopardy but there were other modules they were thinking of rotating in as far as the bottom 3 were concerned because every module gets the same/similar amount of funding and there's no point giving the same amount of time and money to a course that 2 people are doing as a course 20 people are doing.
We're the last year that this course is available to so I'm hoping they'll just leave it alone. But they said they have these other courses they want to do instead and they're in a position that if there was a consensus to nix one or more of the bottom 3 they could switch them out literally tomorrow, they're that prepared to make the changes.
If they did go ahead I don't know what I'd do. Of the three courses, 2 of them apply directly to the job I'm aiming to do in the long run (teaching) and without being able to do those 2 modules I'd have no interest in continuing this course.
I would finish the first year, if that makes most sense, and then I'd be looking at transferring next summer.
Is it doable?

What A level grades did you get?

The better your uni is the easier you might find it to transfer.

In your situation I would definitely be making enquiries and talking to admissions in your target unis.

You need to check if they will consider you.

You have absolutely nothing to lose by applying through UCAS as you will know if you have a place and you cna decide next summer if you want to take it up the same time as you find out if courses are cancelled.

If they do transfers .

What the transfer policy is.

You may find that on the website.

Once you know that information, then decide whether you want to apply for year 1 start or a year 2 transfer. they might consider you for one but not the other. At this stage in student funding then you can still be funded for a completely fresh degree.

Transfers factors they may consider:
1. Do they accept transfers?
2. Do they have space?
3. A level and degree grades?
4. Which uni you apply from?
5. Personal statement.
6. Referee.
7. Extra currics.
8. Compatibility of course content.

TSR FAQ on transfers.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424#primary_content
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
What A level grades did you get?

The better your uni is the easier you might find it to transfer.

In your situation I would definitely be making enquiries and talking to admissions in your target unis.

You need to check if they will consider you.

You have absolutely nothing to lose by applying through UCAS as you will know if you have a place and you cna decide next summer if you want to take it up the same time as you find out if courses are cancelled.

If they do transfers .

What the transfer policy is.

You may find that on the website.

Once you know that information, then decide whether you want to apply for year 1 start or a year 2 transfer. they might consider you for one but not the other. At this stage in student funding then you can still be funded for a completely fresh degree.

Transfers factors they may consider:
1. Do they accept transfers?
2. Do they have space?
3. A level and degree grades?
4. Which uni you apply from?
5. Personal statement.
6. Referee.
7. Extra currics.
8. Compatibility of course content.

TSR FAQ on transfers.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424#primary_content

I got BBB overall but they broke it down for me and I got A/A* on my coursework and C on my exams which gave me the Bs. There's one or 2 unis I'm thinking of transferring to and one is ABB, but they also only use coursework in their assessments and do interviews, so maybe I could tell them that?
My current uni isn't very good. As the issues above might suggest. No extracurricular (except film & gaming society and 5 a side football) It's small and new and there's only like 3 people in the entire English department.
One of the other unis I'm looking into have an open day today so I might go now and ask then.
Someone on here says they were able to transfer really easily to another of my alternatives, but they also say that the uni they went to had to check compatibility of the modules, and I'm doing English combined (lit, lang, and writing) and most other unis are doing just English Literature.
Original post by Anonymous
I got BBB overall but they broke it down for me and I got A/A* on my coursework and C on my exams which gave me the Bs. There's one or 2 unis I'm thinking of transferring to and one is ABB, but they also only use coursework in their assessments and do interviews, so maybe I could tell them that?
My current uni isn't very good. As the issues above might suggest. No extracurricular (except film & gaming society and 5 a side football) It's small and new and there's only like 3 people in the entire English department.
One of the other unis I'm looking into have an open day today so I might go now and ask then.
Someone on here says they were able to transfer really easily to another of my alternatives, but they also say that the uni they went to had to check compatibility of the modules, and I'm doing English combined (lit, lang, and writing) and most other unis are doing just English Literature.

Just run two plans.

1. Stay where you are and assess the course You ahve already left it too late to withdraw without being responsible for some fees..
2. Get an ucas application in for a transfer and go to open days etc.
3. Talk to them beforehand if their entry is higher.
4. Consider if you want to resit an A level.
5. Go to open days.
6. See what happens in terms of offers, course changes, whether you like it, feedback etc.
7. Make a choice. Those choices in addition to the above can also include resitting an A level, leaving and restarting a degree elsewhere from year 1 if needs be. See how it goes. the above is the best of both worlds and it sounds like you should seriously consider elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest