The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Economics and Finance @ Newcastle uni

Does anyone on TSR did this course at this uni and what do they think about it?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Hi, I am currently undertaking Economics and Finance in Newcastle University. And this is my final year to stay in Newcastle because next year I will go to UCL to continue my further study. Last year, the uni. provided us an opportunity to work in Shanghai as a business analyst intern. This was a great opportunity for me because a business analyst is exactly what I want to do in the future. By the way, you can find many many opportunities from the uni. website. And some opportunities even cooperate with uni. which will give you many advantages compare with other competitors!! At this job, I found I learned so much practical and useful knowledge from this course, e.g, Econometrics, Mathematics for Economics, Statistics. These quantitative skills are helpful for your future career especially if you want to do improve your analytical skills. Besides, I am very interested in the finance area, and there are many options about learning finance sector in stage 3!!! e.g, Derivative Markets and Issues in Behaviour Finance. And I also choose the Time-series Econometrics because my tutor gave me a really good advice that if you want to work in finance sector, time-series econometrics is what you have to study. In summary, I learned a lot from Newcastle University these years and I think the course setting of Economics and Finance is vert scientific. And it offers a lot of electives for you to choose. YOU CAN definitely find what you want to learn And my teachers are sooooo nice. They give me many supports whatever from student life or study. I am an international student. And at the beginning of the course, I was confused about many things and sometimes even cannot catch the speed of lecturers. And they always explain every point with much patience to me during office hours. This year when I applied master, my personal tutor and my math teacher gave me very strong support. They help me to check my personal statement and gave me very supportive and positive reference letter. I got the offer from UCL very successfully. I have to say this competitive degree is also one of reasons that I got the offer. Teachers are so nice, course plan is wonderful. I really recommend you to study in this course at Newcastle University!!
Thanks you! It sound very interesting as these are the types of subjects that I am interested in as I also want to work in the financial sector.
Original post by Yolanda160
Hi, I am currently undertaking Economics and Finance in Newcastle University. And this is my final year to stay in Newcastle because next year I will go to UCL to continue my further study. Last year, the uni. provided us an opportunity to work in Shanghai as a business analyst intern. This was a great opportunity for me because a business analyst is exactly what I want to do in the future. By the way, you can find many many opportunities from the uni. website. And some opportunities even cooperate with uni. which will give you many advantages compare with other competitors!! At this job, I found I learned so much practical and useful knowledge from this course, e.g, Econometrics, Mathematics for Economics, Statistics. These quantitative skills are helpful for your future career especially if you want to do improve your analytical skills. Besides, I am very interested in the finance area, and there are many options about learning finance sector in stage 3!!! e.g, Derivative Markets and Issues in Behaviour Finance. And I also choose the Time-series Econometrics because my tutor gave me a really good advice that if you want to work in finance sector, time-series econometrics is what you have to study. In summary, I learned a lot from Newcastle University these years and I think the course setting of Economics and Finance is vert scientific. And it offers a lot of electives for you to choose. YOU CAN definitely find what you want to learn And my teachers are sooooo nice. They give me many supports whatever from student life or study. I am an international student. And at the beginning of the course, I was confused about many things and sometimes even cannot catch the speed of lecturers. And they always explain every point with much patience to me during office hours. This year when I applied master, my personal tutor and my math teacher gave me very strong support. They help me to check my personal statement and gave me very supportive and positive reference letter. I got the offer from UCL very successfully. I have to say this competitive degree is also one of reasons that I got the offer. Teachers are so nice, course plan is wonderful. I really recommend you to study in this course at Newcastle University!!

Hey, I'll be going for Economics and finance this year. Funny how people have same questions from years ago. From what you've said it sounds like it wouldn't be a bad choice to go to Newcastle but I'm a little concerned because the stats on sites like discover uni are a quite low regarding student satisfaction and the graduate prospects also for slightly short compares to other unis like Bristol etc. Could you tell me a little more about your experience and how you're doing now?

Quick Reply