Mr.noname
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
https://ibb.co/g4jv1L
Hi, I'm a bit confused on this boat question.
Alright so this may seem a bit stupid but how have they calculated the power in this case ? I thought that if something moves at a constant velocity the acceleration is zero so the resultant force is 0 therefore the work done is zero. In simple terms there's no work done on objects moving at a constant speed. Then how is the power not zero if power is defined as the rate of doing work?
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Power is defined as rate of doing work, P = W/t. Work done = F*s, so P = Fs/t. s/t is equal to velocity so P = Fv. As the boat is travelling at a constant speed, the thrust is equal to the drag, hence it is 1800N. It is travelling at 15ms^-1 so P=Fv and 1800 * 15 = 27000 W. The net force is 0, but it t mean the doesn't mean that the power is 0.

I hope it clarifies any concerns and if not, ask about anything you don't understand.
Mr.noname
Rep:
(Original post by Guarddyyy)
Power is defined as rate of doing work, P = W/t. Work done = F*s, so P = Fs/t. s/t is equal to velocity so P = Fv. As the boat is travelling at a constant speed, the thrust is equal to the drag, hence it is 1800N. It is travelling at 15ms^-1 so P=Fv and 1800 * 15 = 27000 W. The net force is 0, but it t mean the doesn't mean that the power is 0.

I hope it clarifies any concerns and if not, ask about anything you don't understand.
So, as long as there's a force in the direction of the velocity there will be power?
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yes. If there's a force there's a power. Just imagine that if there's 1800N of force going the other direction, you will need to match that force to travel at a constant velocity of 15ms^-1, and you need power to do so.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mr.noname)
https://ibb.co/g4jv1L
Hi, I'm a bit confused on this boat question.
Alright so this may seem a bit stupid but how have they calculated the power in this case ? I thought that if something moves at a constant velocity the acceleration is zero so the resultant force is 0 therefore the work done is zero. In simple terms there's no work done on objects moving at a constant speed. Then how is the power not zero if power is defined as the rate of doing work?
Just as the boat is doing work on the water to move forward, the water is doing work on the boat that stops it accelerating. Two separate forces, each causing work to be done in opposite directions. But you're only being asked about the work done by the boat propellor.
Mr.noname
Rep:
Oh right now I understand thanks !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
10.94%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.56%
Finding the time to revise (6)
9.38%
Finding the motivation (14)
21.88%
Getting distracted (11)
17.19%
Procrastination (25)
39.06%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads