The Student Room Group

Don't have any friends at university

So the title basically explains it. I'm a first year and have been at uni for about a month now and still have no friends when most people around me have made what seems to be really good friend groups already. I have someone i usually sit with in lectures and talk to but i wouldn't hang out with them outside of school work. My flatmates are all very nice but i dont "click" with them and they all seem to be best friends now.

I was in loads of group chats before uni and i thought i would come and have a couple of people i could call friends but that hasn't turned out because they all met up with each other and left me out.

Maybe im overthinking this and its totally normal to not have made any friends yet but i feel like i should have made some by now instead of just going to lectures and coming back to my room for the rest of the night. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So the title basically explains it. I'm a first year and have been at uni for about a month now and still have no friends when most people around me have made what seems to be really good friend groups already. I have someone i usually sit with in lectures and talk to but i wouldn't hang out with them outside of school work. My flatmates are all very nice but i dont "click" with them and they all seem to be best friends now.

I was in loads of group chats before uni and i thought i would come and have a couple of people i could call friends but that hasn't turned out because they all met up with each other and left me out.

Maybe im overthinking this and its totally normal to not have made any friends yet but i feel like i should have made some by now instead of just going to lectures and coming back to my room for the rest of the night. Any advice?

Why wouldn't you hang it with that person outside lectures?
Have you joined societies or clubs?
Reply 2
respect your openness bro.

Maybe if you have the confidence try knocking on some ppls doors that are near u and say hi and try and talk to them ask them what they do and try and join clubs/societies that interest you, be friendly esp to ppl u see often and eventually at least a proportion of these people should hopefully become your "friends"

im at colly with basically no friends but i used to be "THAT GUY"
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
Why wouldn't you hang it with that person outside lectures?
Have you joined societies or clubs?

I think i just wouldn't hang out with her because she lives on another accommodation site which is on the complete other side of the city which is a pain to get to (its all uphill). I did join some societies that relate to my course and i had full intention before starting uni to join loads of societies but just haven't yet and now i feel like its too late. I'll just wait till next year when im more settled to start societies properly.
I think i just wouldn't hang out with her because she lives on another accommodation site which is on the complete other side of the city which is a pain to get to (its all uphill). I did join some societies that relate to my course and i had full intention before starting uni to join loads of societies but just haven't yet and now i feel like its too late. I'll just wait till next year when im more settled to start societies properly.

It's never too late!

Why can't she come to you? Why can't you meet up in the middle?
Reply 5

I wouldn’t worry too much about it if I were you, there’s still plenty of time to make friends!
However, it may be that you just need to open up to making friends a bit more.

Drop me a pm if you want to talk about anything!
What uni do you go to
Reply 7
Original post by TBreazy
respect your openness bro.

Maybe if you have the confidence try knocking on some ppls doors that are near u and say hi and try and talk to them ask them what they do and try and join clubs/societies that interest you, be friendly esp to ppl u see often and eventually at least a proportion of these people should hopefully become your "friends"

im at colly with basically no friends but i used to be "THAT GUY"

Thank you so much for replying! I know most the people in my building because i was in loads of group chats before uni so i cant really go introduce myself like im new. I also know quite a few people in my lectures but they already have friend groups and i dont want to be that girl that just intrudes and pushes herself in 😂 I have had people come ask me to sit with them when studying but im so awkward and nervous i stupidly said no im okay and now i feel like they think i dont like them. Uni is going great so far 😊
Reply 8
Original post by georgem93
I wouldn’t worry too much about it if I were you, there’s still plenty of time to make friends!
However, it may be that you just need to open up to making friends a bit more.

Drop me a pm if you want to talk about anything!

Thank you so much! I'll definitely try to seem more open because i know i can sometimes come across as being very closed and guarded.
Reply 9
Thank you so much! I'll definitely try to seem more open because i know i can sometimes come across as being very closed and guarded.

Pm me, let’s talk :smile:
Original post by DrawTheLine
It's never too late!

Why can't she come to you? Why can't you meet up in the middle?

Maybe next time i see her i could suggest we go grab a coffee or something after the lecture. We went to lunch together a few times in gaps between lectures but i feel like i really need to make friends at this point 😂. Thank you so much for the advice!
Thank you so much for replying! I know most the people in my building because i was in loads of group chats before uni so i cant really go introduce myself like im new. I also know quite a few people in my lectures but they already have friend groups and i dont want to be that girl that just intrudes and pushes herself in 😂 I have had people come ask me to sit with them when studying but im so awkward and nervous i stupidly said no im okay and now i feel like they think i dont like them. Uni is going great so far 😊

I'd have thought the people in your building would be your best option for trying to make friends?

You've been in group chats with them, and they're close by. Maybe try and get in with them a bit more?
I'd have thought the people in your building would be your best option for trying to make friends?

You've been in group chats with them, and they're close by. Maybe try and get in with them a bit more?

Ive tried but they all have made this big friendship group where they watch films together and go on day trips and i feel like i would be intruding if i just invited myself to those. There is a couple people in my building that do the same course as me so ive been to lectures with them but its like when the lecture is over they dont want anything to do with me. If i was more outgoing i feel like i could have easily made friends but my awkwardness and nervous nature are kinda stopping that atm 😂
What uni do you go to

I dont think i want to say my exact uni but im studying a biology masters and my uni is on the smaller side, but it has won awards and is in the top 15 uni's. I love the uni because of its smaller size and the fact its not in a huge city :smile:
I dont think i want to say my exact uni but im studying a biology masters and my uni is on the smaller side, but it has won awards and is in the top 15 uni's. I love the uni because of its smaller size and the fact its not in a huge city :smile:

It’s Lancaster right?
Original post by Professional G
It’s Lancaster right?

Nope :smile:
Nope :smile:

Worth a try.

(PM the uni if you want 🙂)
Worth a try.

(PM the uni if you want 🙂)

Good guess though 😂

I would go to student services or something but i feel like it might be too soon and they will just tell me to join societies and stuff
Good guess though 😂

I would go to student services or something but i feel like it might be too soon and they will just tell me to join societies and stuff

Is it Warwick?
Is it Warwick?

Sorry but no 😂

Quick Reply