Justarandomuser
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A few months ago I asked if I should apply to Cambridge and after the responses I decided that I was going to follow my heart ( I would love to study PBS at UOC because I’m genuinely so passionate about it). Currently, I am revising for the admissions test (starting today) and I’m finding it so difficult. I did a specimen paper and got 38% on it which is so bad. Would they even consider me for an interview. I’m predicted A*A*A* and my personal statment was actually decent so I really do hope they consider me. I’m going to continue revising but I feel like I’m not going to get through it and it’ll be a waste of time and instead I should just prioritise college and the upcoming exams I have in lessons.
Any advice?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, because it's the course you want to do at the university you want to attend.
You've sent your application off, you're registered for the test, all you can do now is just try your best at it. Realistically, revising for one admissions test isn't going to screw your A-levels over.
Justarandomuser
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
No, because it's the course you want to do at the university you want to attend.
You've sent your application off, you're registered for the test, all you can do now is just try your best at it. Realistically, revising for one admissions test isn't going to screw your A-levels over.
That is true but I have exams in the same week if the admissions test so that’s 4 exams in the space of 7 days.
And I guess so we’ll thanks for the advice.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Justarandomuser)
That is true but I have exams in the same week if the admissions test so that’s 4 exams in the space of 7 days.
Are they public exams?
Pastelx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are these exams going to affect your final A Level grades? Frankly, if they are just unit tests, you should try and focus on your admissions test. At the end of the day, you have nothing to lose by sitting this test!
Jackudy3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You say that 38% is bad, but from what I've heard about Oxbridge tests you're expected to get a dreadful sounding percentage; most people do.

Only the absolutely outstanding excel in those tests.

With 38% (and probably higher in the real thing) as well as the rest of your application being looked at holistically, you should stand a good chance.
Justarandomuser
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jackudy3)
You say that 38% is bad, but from what I've heard about Oxbridge tests you're expected to get a dreadful sounding percentage; most people do.

Only the absolutely outstanding excel in those tests.

With 38% (and probably higher in the real thing) as well as the rest of your application being looked at holistically, you should stand a good chance.
I’ve tried to look online at peoples average scorers for the specific one I’m taking but I couldn’t find them and thanks that is very reassuring
Justarandomuser
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pastelx)
Are these exams going to affect your final A Level grades? Frankly, if they are just unit tests, you should try and focus on your admissions test. At the end of the day, you have nothing to lose by sitting this test!
Nah I guess you have a point, it’s just that on the most recent ones I got A* A* C and for me to get predicted an A* for the third subject - I had to literally beg the teacher. So she’s expecting me to do really well in these exams- but then again she can’t change the predicted grade since I’ve already set off the application 😂😂 but she scares the crap out of me when she lectures me about being a disappointment looool
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve tried to look online at peoples average scorers for the specific one I’m taking but I couldn’t find them and thanks that is very reassuring
The average score in most of them is about 50%, but this of course depends on the test - some are probably even harder.

Also, it's not expected to do well on your first attempt. Although Oxbridge may claim that "you can't revise for these tests", practicing them will absolutely improve your score. The key is learn how to answer the questions - exploit the multiple choice if there is any, and since most people will run out of time, focus on the questions that get you the most marks per minute (ie if you see a question you can't do, move on or guess).
Justarandomuser
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dysf(x)al)
The average score in most of them is about 50%, but this of course depends on the test - some are probably even harder.

Also, it's not expected to do well on your first attempt. Although Oxbridge may claim that "you can't revise for these tests", practicing them will absolutely improve your score. The key is learn how to answer the questions - exploit the multiple choice if there is any, and since most people will run out of time, focus on the questions that get you the most marks per minute (ie if you see a question you can't do, move on or guess).
The paper I’m doing is mostly multiple choice and that’s the issue how can I suck at what’s mean to be the easiest part. So 80 mins of multiple choice questions on ‘critical thinking’ and a reading comprehension with some multiple choice questions and then the second part is an essay which I’m going to practice later because idk how they mark it tbh.
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The paper I’m doing is mostly multiple choice and that’s the issue how can I suck at what’s mean to be the easiest part. So 80 mins of multiple choice questions on ‘critical thinking’ and a reading comprehension with some multiple choice questions and then the second part is an essay which I’m going to practice later because idk how they mark it tbh.
I just had a look and the first part is the Thinking Skills Assessment. How you should approach it depends on what you're best at - do the questions that you think you can do quickest first. Make good use of the multiple choice - it's often quicker to suss out each option in turn rather than trying to do the problem in the way you would if the options weren't there. If you're torn between two options don't agonise over it - just pick one and move on. For the logic type ones, it may be good to remember that "X implies Y", "Y is true if X is true" and "X is false if Y is false" are equivalent.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A few months ago I asked if I should apply to Cambridge and after the responses I decided that I was going to follow my heart ( I would love to study PBS at UOC because I’m genuinely so passionate about it). Currently, I am revising for the admissions test (starting today) and I’m finding it so difficult. I did a specimen paper and got 38% on it which is so bad. Would they even consider me for an interview. I’m predicted A*A*A* and my personal statment was actually decent so I really do hope they consider me. I’m going to continue revising but I feel like I’m not going to get through it and it’ll be a waste of time and instead I should just prioritise college and the upcoming exams I have in lessons.
Any advice?
People get offers with poor Admissions Assessment scores. It's just one part of the process and is reviewed holistically alongside everything else. No single element of your application is more important than anything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Justarandomuser
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dysf(x)al)
I just had a look and the first part is the Thinking Skills Assessment. How you should approach it depends on what you're best at - do the questions that you think you can do quickest first. Make good use of the multiple choice - it's often quicker to suss out each option in turn rather than trying to do the problem in the way you would if the options weren't there. If you're torn between two options don't agonise over it - just pick one and move on. For the logic type ones, it may be good to remember that "X implies Y", "Y is true if X is true" and "X is false if Y is false" are equivalent.
Thanks! That’s very helpful. I’m going to probably do that then because I feel like I was over analysing and kept changing my answers.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks! That’s very helpful. I’m going to probably do that then because I feel like I was over analysing and kept changing my answers.
I know it's easier said than done, but try to not get in too much of a tizz about these admissions tests. Obsessively poring over data found on the internet, checking and fretting over raw scores... it's not terribly helpful. Also, the time would be better spent practising talking lucidly and eloquently about the interest you have in your subject with a sympathetic interlocuteur. Do you have one of those?
user201678
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any advice?
Applying to Cambridge isn't a waste of time - this is coming from someone who got rejected from Cambridge. I think you should try since your predicted grades are amazing and you honestly don't know what could happen and even if you do get rejected you can take pride in being bold enough to apply to one of the best unis in the world. Best of luck with your Cambridge application.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not unless you also applied to Oxford... they don't like it!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any advice?
Give it all you've got, and see what happens. I didn't think that I stood a chance of an Oxford interview after my entrance exams, or of an offer after arguing with an interviewer. Even if the odds are against you a little, aim for your dreams.

Good luck.
AlexaEJ
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is absolutely no harm in revising for the admissions tests alongside your A Level work, as long as you remind yourself that it is ultimately your actual grades that will get you a place and not solely your admissions test grades. I was predicted lower grades than you (I believe I was A*AA) and I'm not sure how I did on my admissions tests for MML, but please don't consider not applying simply because of the extra revision! In the end, despite feeling heavily like a fish out of water during two interviews, I made it!

I hope this helps and I hope you do apply. The entire process for me was seeing how far I could get (and it turned out quite well!) X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (145)
19.1%
Labour (323)
42.56%
Liberal Democrats (154)
20.29%
Green Party (41)
5.4%
Brexit Party (21)
2.77%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)