The Student Room Group

Applying to AAA with AAB?

As the title suggests, is it worth applying to AAA unis with AAB? Is it common for them to accept students that have marginally missed the entry requirements or do they only do this to students that already had a contextual offer then marginally missed their offer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 201822
As the title suggests, is it worth applying to AAA unis with AAB? Is it common for them to accept students that have marginally missed the entry requirements or do they only do this to students that already had a contextual offer then marginally missed their offer?

Depends which uni and which course. If unsure then contact admissions and see what they have to say. Is this predicted or actual? With predicted you can always improve and get the real grades.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Depends which uni and which course. If unsure then contact admissions and see what they have to say. Is this predicted or actual? With predicted you can always improve and get the real grades.

It would be for Bsc Economics and the AAA unis id want to try go for would be Nottingham as the main one then the likes of Birmingham, Leeds, St Andrews etc.

It would be achieved grades of AAB, sorry if that wasn't clear in the post.That's another thing I'm debating at the minute, whether it's worth it to resit one of my maths modules while on my gap year to get my A* as I was only a few UMS off.
Original post by 201822
It would be for Bsc Economics and the AAA unis id want to try go for would be Nottingham as the main one then the likes of Birmingham, Leeds, St Andrews etc.

It would be achieved grades of AAB, sorry if that wasn't clear in the post.That's another thing I'm debating at the minute, whether it's worth it to resit one of my maths modules while on my gap year to get my A* as I was only a few UMS off.

I study maths and economics at notts atm (2nd yr) and in clearing they were denying people with lower than AAA and offering AAB students their industrial economics course instead (I know someone who applied in clearing with AAB and is now doing industrial econ) so I doubt they would offer you a place for straight econ. You can email all the unis to check how strict their entry requirements are but I doubt you'd get an offer from notts unless you retook an A Level.
btw notts economics requires A*AA normally not AAA so maybe unis with a requirement of AAA would be more lenient with AAB grades.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 201822

Talk to them. You can also look at unistats although their data is a bit old.
I'd have said Nottingham and St Andrews would more likely be a no, Leeds could be a no and Birmingham maybe.

Ok why not just apply through UCAS on the basis you are resitting one and wait for offers?
Wait to see what they offer you. If its good enough as is they will give an unconditional and if not they will give an offer i.e AAA and then you need to proceed with the A level resit.

You should also check to see if theres anything else you can do such as an EPQ and or experience.

Thats what I would do.

ps although it varies from year to year, then I would pay attention to what Zalv said and the true entrance being A*AA.
you have nothing to lose by applying to 2 or 3 of them. If they all turn you down you can then use your choices for AAB universities.
Reply 6
If you can make sure the rest of your application is fairly strong, it should be able to make up. Decent personal statement and evidence of whether you've spent your gap year well.
Reply 7
Original post by Zalvager
I study maths and economics at notts atm (2nd yr) and in clearing they were denying people with lower than AAA and offering AAB students their industrial economics course instead (I know someone who applied in clearing with AAB and is now doing industrial econ) so I doubt they would offer you a place for straight econ. You can email all the unis to check how strict their entry requirements are but I doubt you'd get an offer from notts unless you retook an A Level.
btw notts economics requires A*AA normally not AAA so maybe unis with a requirement of AAA would be more lenient with AAB grades.

Talk to them. You can also look at unistats although their data is a bit old.
I'd have said Nottingham and St Andrews would more likely be a no, Leeds could be a no and Birmingham maybe.

Ok why not just apply through UCAS on the basis you are resitting one and wait for offers?
Wait to see what they offer you. If its good enough as is they will give an unconditional and if not they will give an offer i.e AAA and then you need to proceed with the A level resit.

You should also check to see if theres anything else you can do such as an EPQ and or experience.

Thats what I would do.

ps although it varies from year to year, then I would pay attention to what Zalv said and the true entrance being A*AA.

I don't know about Nottingham being an A*AA? Their website says AAA and everyone I know that got offers it was all AAA. I will admit though nottingham would be more strict than the others I have mentioned. I am unable to resit an A-level which is kind of annoying but I don't think I would want to anyway. I definitely get what your saying about try to boost my application more, thats why I was considering getting my maths up to an A* and then going for an EPQ as you said. Obviously I know this is still not AAA so is unlikely but was wondering if I stood a chance if I had a strong application or if it's just an outright no.
Reply 8
Original post by Shiv7
If you can make sure the rest of your application is fairly strong, it should be able to make up. Decent personal statement and evidence of whether you've spent your gap year well.

That's what I am trying to do as best possible, it's just the B that obviously holds me back. Just wondering what did you base what you said on, cause obviously I hope it's true that I am able to make it up but most people are telling me it's still very unlikely.
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
you have nothing to lose by applying to 2 or 3 of them. If they all turn you down you can then use your choices for AAB universities.

Yeah I am currently thinking of applying to two AAA unis, a uni that says AAA-AAB and two AAB unis.
Reply 10
Original post by 201822
That's what I am trying to do as best possible, it's just the B that obviously holds me back. Just wondering what did you base what you said on, cause obviously I hope it's true that I am able to make it up but most people are telling me it's still very unlikely.

I understand you said you're not in a position to actually resit a certain subject, are you sure that there is no way possible you might be able to? I still maintain what I said earlier, if you have a decent set of GCSE's along with proof of whether you spent your gap year getting some form of work experience I expect you to get an offer, especially given how universities are still trying to find their way around the new A-Levels. The stark rise in unconditional offers should prove this for you.
Reply 11
Original post by Shiv7
I understand you said you're not in a position to actually resit a certain subject, are you sure that there is no way possible you might be able to? I still maintain what I said earlier, if you have a decent set of GCSE's along with proof of whether you spent your gap year getting some form of work experience I expect you to get an offer, especially given how universities are still trying to find their way around the new A-Levels. The stark rise in unconditional offers should prove this for you.

I got the B in History and the course I did, it is not possible to resit it again and even if it was, I wouldn't want to touch History again haha and I got rid of all my notes and materials. It is possible that I could try do an A-level in one year, probably a lighter one or something but like I said I don't really want to do that. Work experience wise I'm definitely getting more relevant work experience. Like I said, I do think I would be able to make my application strong PS, work experience, good reference etc it's literally just the B grade.

What's your thoughts on me going for the A* in maths, would that be worth it and help?
Reply 12
@Shiv7 @swanseajack1 @999tigger @Zalvager
Just to update you guys, I emailed a few of the unis and they got back to me. Nottingham said pretty much that they only accept offers that meet the AAA entry requirements but said that they consider contextual offers and reduce the entry requirements if this is met so encouraged me to apply. By looking at their criteria, I meet atleast 3 of them so it is a possibility but researching online, a lot of things are saying that Nottingham rarely give out contexual offers, especially for the economics course. So I don't really know at the moment to be honest.
Reply 13
Original post by 201822
I got the B in History and the course I did, it is not possible to resit it again and even if it was, I wouldn't want to touch History again haha and I got rid of all my notes and materials. It is possible that I could try do an A-level in one year, probably a lighter one or something but like I said I don't really want to do that. Work experience wise I'm definitely getting more relevant work experience. Like I said, I do think I would be able to make my application strong PS, work experience, good reference etc it's literally just the B grade.

What's your thoughts on me going for the A* in maths, would that be worth it and help?

The A* in Maths would definitely provide a strong boost to your application - A*AB is much better than AAB. I would genuinely look into your options as to whether you try to self teach a single A-level this year which shouldn't be too monumental a task, afterall if you really want that place you're going to have to work for it. Considering the category of universities you're applying to, I doubt they're extremely competitive in terms of the quality of applicants.
Reply 14
Original post by Shiv7
The A* in Maths would definitely provide a strong boost to your application - A*AB is much better than AAB. I would genuinely look into your options as to whether you try to self teach a single A-level this year which shouldn't be too monumental a task, afterall if you really want that place you're going to have to work for it. Considering the category of universities you're applying to, I doubt they're extremely competitive in terms of the quality of applicants.

I actually emailed about the top 15 unis, not including oxbridge, imperial, lse, warwick and I get VERY mixed responses. Some said it would definitely help my application, some said it wouldn't change anything so would be pointless and some actually said that they wouldn't consider the resit and actually would prefer if I just applied with my achieved grades.
I get what your saying about the resit, i'm definitely going to consider it some more. The reason is I am against it is I kind of want to move on form A-levels and so don't really want to start a whole new subject, I was more focused on trying to get the most out of my gap year and then going from that.
Yeah tbh out of the ones mentioned I don't think Leeds and Birmingham would be super strict, it is more Nottingham and St Andrews.
Original post by 201822
I don't know about Nottingham being an A*AA? Their website says AAA and everyone I know that got offers it was all AAA. I will admit though nottingham would be more strict than the others I have mentioned. I am unable to resit an A-level which is kind of annoying but I don't think I would want to anyway. I definitely get what your saying about try to boost my application more, thats why I was considering getting my maths up to an A* and then going for an EPQ as you said. Obviously I know this is still not AAA so is unlikely but was wondering if I stood a chance if I had a strong application or if it's just an outright no.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/economics/bsc-economics.aspx

or is this the wrong course?
You dont say why you are unable to resit?
If you dont want to then you have to accept the reduced options.
An EPQ only helps if they take them into consideration. Ask or check.
Ive already said what to do about chances.
Nothing wrong with applying to universities with slightly higher requirements than what you have been predicted. They could say to you we'll offer you a place but we want you to get 3A's. I'm sure you've used your other 4 choices on AAB universities and maybe one below.
Reply 17
Original post by Zalvager

Lol they have places in clearing. The course has a 93% offer rate. They could offer OP a place. Long as B is not in maths. Obviously he should apply to some AABs.

And notts does not offer A*AA conventionally loooooool. They say they do but they don't. That's what LSE offers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/economics/bsc-economics.aspx

or is this the wrong course?
You dont say why you are unable to resit?
If you dont want to then you have to accept the reduced options.
An EPQ only helps if they take them into consideration. Ask or check.
Ive already said what to do about chances.

That's the first time I've seen it say A*AA and I've seen that page lots ot times. I'm pretty sure it used to say A*AA-AAA but now they have changed it to completely A*AA this year. Even when I emailed nottingham about bsc econ, they said their entry requirements were AAA so that's quite weird.
I said why above.
Original post by 201822
That's the first time I've seen it say A*AA and I've seen that page lots ot times. I'm pretty sure it used to say A*AA-AAA but now they have changed it to completely A*AA this year. Even when I emailed nottingham about bsc econ, they said their entry requirements were AAA so that's quite weird.
I said why above.

Do your research and then make a sensible strategy as you have 5 choices. GL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending