The Student Room Group

How do I let my girlfriend know I'm not gay?

I made a friend at university recently, and she's lovely. The first day we met she gave me a huge hug and said she was homesick. We agreed that watching some funny movies and getting take-away would help to cheer us up. To watch the TV in my room, you have to kind of sit on the bed with your back against the wall. We ended up cuddling a bit and falling asleep together. Because she was upset, and the only option was to lounge on the bed and it's pretty small, I didn't really think anything of it.

The past week, she's been clingy and is always asking to do things "alone together". Things that are very date-like. This is not on its own unusual, but she always wants me to let her do my hair or give me massages. She texts me more than anyone else has since moving in. On the walk to class yesterday, she called me pretty and asked to hold my hand. It was then I realised that I'd been entirely oblivious to hints she was dropping. Given that she said she had boyfriends before, I just went with it presuming she was straight and just a really affectionate person.

I have unintentionally strung her along very badly, and I feel awful. Is there anything I can do to make it less hurtful to tell her I'm not interested? We share lots of hobbies and I want to keep her as a friend. I've tried to feel the same way about her, but I'm not wired that way. Please help me stay friends with her! :frown:
You're just gonna have to let her know somehow that you're not interested. Maybe subtly hint to her that you're straight somehow
Original post by Anonymous
You're just gonna have to let her know somehow that you're not interested. Maybe subtly hint to her that you're straight somehow

What kind of things would I say?
I'm thinking maybe: "I really like you as a friend, and the way your nails don't scratch when you rub my shoulders. I always notice which colour you paint your nails, because when I first met you I wished my fingers were as long and slender as yours. No homo"?
I would have thought having a girlfriend would suggest that you aren't gay
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
I would have thought having a girlfriend would suggest that you aren't gay

OP is one of those girls who refers to their female friends as "girlfriends", which is technically true but in this context is highly confusing...
Original post by UWS
OP is one of those girls who refers to their female friends as "girlfriends", which is technically true but in this context is highly confusing...

Yes, that was a poor choice of wording. A girlfriend as in a female friend mutually exclusive to a romantic partner.
The thread title and the closing paragraph of the opening post don't appear to match. Trust Orang, are you sure you haven't made a typo in either of those?
Reply 8
Next time you are out together and an appealling looking guy walks past just make a comment about him something like "wow I really fancy him or he looks great doesn't he?" - and see what her reaction is ? Or even an actor in a movie next time you are watching a movie together. Use it as a conversation starter then turn the conversation to that you are 100% straight and could only ever fancy men.
This way it will be very difficult for your friend to feel rejected and perhaps she won't be left feeling as though she isn't good enough for you. But also emphasise on how much you value your friendship with her.
Reply 9
Original post by Trust Orang
What kind of things would I say?

Start talking about the kind of guys you like, start implying if this or that guy is hot. Tell her you might be going on a date with some guy.

She will get the hint.
some girls are very clingy and some people prefer to be with a particular best friend rather than a group of acquaintances. I dont see what she's done that is a sexual pass. I doubt this girl is really bisexual.
I made a friend at university recently, and she's lovely. The first day we met she gave me a huge hug and said she was homesick. We agreed that watching some funny movies and getting take-away would help to cheer us up. To watch the TV in my room, you have to kind of sit on the bed with your back against the wall. We ended up cuddling a bit and falling asleep together. Because she was upset, and the only option was to lounge on the bed and it's pretty small, I didn't really think anything of it.

The past week, she's been clingy and is always asking to do things "alone together". Things that are very date-like. This is not on its own unusual, but she always wants me to let her do my hair or give me massages. She texts me more than anyone else has since moving in. On the walk to class yesterday, she called me pretty and asked to hold my hand. It was then I realised that I'd been entirely oblivious to hints she was dropping. Given that she said she had boyfriends before, I just went with it presuming she was straight and just a really affectionate person.

I have unintentionally strung her along very badly, and I feel awful. Is there anything I can do to make it less hurtful to tell her I'm not interested? We share lots of hobbies and I want to keep her as a friend. I've tried to feel the same way about her, but I'm not wired that way. Please help me stay friends with her! :frown:

Dude, if she has feels for you, you can't remain friends that would be cruel and unfair to her.

So be straight with her. "I am not interested in you because I like the penis". If she's into you, she can't be your friend. And if she's not into you, then no harm done.

I am starting to believe I must be the next Dr Phil. All I need is to lose my hair, get that Texas twang and grow a pedophile 'stache.
Reply 12
This bugs me because she’s not done anything to suggest she’s sexually interested in you. I’m like that with a lot of guys and even girls too if I know they’re not my type and they trust me. I’m just a very family oriented person and so prefer close connections with people rather than shallow ones and sitting in bed watching movies is just a comfort thing, not a way to get sex. I always compliment people a lot because I know they put in effort and deserve to actually be told it’s nice.
Original post by snugglebear
some girls are very clingy and some people prefer to be with a particular best friend rather than a group of acquaintances. I dont see what she's done that is a sexual pass. I doubt this girl is really bisexual.

I don't think most (friends that are girls) walk around holding hands...
Original post by Stevo F
I don't think most (friends that are girls) walk around holding hands...

None of the things he mentioned are even remotely acceptable among men either. Literally no guy would walk around holding hands with their male friend :rofl:.

I think he's exaggerating.

u r gay; you just dont know it yet.
Original post by 3121
This bugs me because she’s not done anything to suggest she’s sexually interested in you. I’m like that with a lot of guys and even girls too if I know they’re not my type and they trust me. I’m just a very family oriented person and so prefer close connections with people rather than shallow ones and sitting in bed watching movies is just a comfort thing, not a way to get sex. I always compliment people a lot because I know they put in effort and deserve to actually be told it’s nice.

This is quite ridiculous. I'm not sure why some types assume heterosexual people are incapable of distinguishing obviously different forms of affection. We do not assume every non-heterosexual person is interested in us because of that alone. If there wasn't good suprasegmental evidence to prove her intent, I wouldn't assume her actions carried any romantic valence - in fact, I didn't, and that was a mistake in this case.

It is heterophobic to presume I misunderstood her obvious flirting because non-lesbians are incapable of basic empathy and social interpretation of lesbians. We are all people, stop patronising me.
Original post by RenéDescartes
u r gay; you just dont know it yet.

Oh, okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending