The Student Room Group

Biomedical degree/ physician associates

Hey guys, I’m looking to do a biomedical degree in uni and really want to progress towards to have a career as a physician associate. However, I am a little discouraged as whenever I search for jobs available as a physician associate there are hardly any ... so what if I complete my my studying and can’t find a job.... what shall I do .?
I know what you mean. Not many PA jobs are out there every week. At least not compared to more established professions like nursing, physio, doctors etc. But you have to bare in mind that is because a lot of trusts in the UK advertise internally to the courses in their region. The jobs you are seeing on NHS jobs are only nationally listed jobs.
PAs are certainly going to become more mainstream. The government announced they will set in motion the process to introduce statutory regulation for the profession, which will all but cement their use in the workforce.
Only question now is do you start the training now, or do you wait to see what the details of regulation will be? Either way, even if you choose to delay starting you will be working in the meantime which will make it easier to pay those fees which are high. So win win!
Reply 2
You will have no trouble finding jobs. They aren't advertised because it's an ineffective way of recruiting. There aren't many PAs (less that 500 at last count I believe) and most are going to be already employed.

Instead employers go directly to universities and recruit PAs straight out of training. We have employers lining up to ask us what we want in a job because there are many places with money set aside for PAs and a limited supply. The year ahead of mine all had jobs secured before graduation.

In the future they'll be more jobs advertised but there needs to be a bigger PA population first.

Quick Reply

Latest