bluewhale87
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is it la musique de pop or just la musique pop? And is it the same with alternative music?
Jono*
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
musique pop, but I just say pop musique
AlexaEJ
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's definitely 'la musique pop', and I suppose you could say 'la musique alternative' although 'le rock alternatif' is a good one and comes up as a phrase on wordreference

Hope this helps xx
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by annabel_gilmour)
Is it la musique de pop or just la musique pop? And is it the same with alternative music?
musique pop - it's a relatively unusual example of being able to use a bare noun as an adjective without the need for a preposition.
bluewhale87
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlexaEJ)
It's definitely 'la musique pop', and I suppose you could say 'la musique alternative' although 'le rock alternatif' is a good one and comes up as a phrase on wordreference

Hope this helps xx
Ahh okay thank you! Also this is gonna make me sound so stupid but is it j'ecoute de la musique or j'ecoute la musique? It's been a while since I've learnt this and I have a test tomorrow pahah! I'm just confusing myself cause the spanish is escucho musica!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ahh okay thank you! Also this is gonna make me sound so stupid but is it j'ecoute de la musique or j'ecoute la musique? It's been a while since I've learnt this and I have a test tomorrow pahah! I'm just confusing myself cause the spanish is escucho musica!
The second, la.
bluewhale87
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
The first, de la.
Thank you!! You're a life saver!
bluewhale87
Rep:
?
The first, de la.
Gonna be annoying one last time - if I'm saying j'ecoute un peu de tout I don't need the de there, do I?
AlexaEJ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn't think you needed the 'de' because the verb ecouter means 'to listen to', so you would say, "j'ecoute la radio" and not "j'ecoute de la radio". So the second version that you said would be my guess
AlexaEJ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Gonna be annoying one last time - if I'm saying j'ecoute un peu de tout I don't need the de there, do I?
I think here you do need the 'de' simply because the expression is 'un peu de tout' (a bit of everything).
Normally, you don't need the 'de' (e.g. j'ecoute la musique) however this expression already has the 'de' in it, so "j'ecoute un peu de tout" is right
Hopefully this is making sense!
Jono*
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn't think you needed the 'de' because the verb ecouter means 'to listen to', so you would say, "j'ecoute la radio" and not "j'ecoute de la radio". So the second version that you said would be my guess
+1 I would never use de in that situation, otherwise it's like saying I listen to of the music.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jono*)
+1 I would never use de in that situation, otherwise it's like saying I listen to of the music.
This is correct. Ecouter is directly transitive - to listen to something is écouter qqch. So to listen to the radio is, in French, "écouter la radio"

annabel_gilmour - see the edit
AlexaEJ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is correct. Ecouter is directly transitive - to listen to something is écouter qqch. So to listen to the radio is, in French, "écouter la radio"

annabel_gilmour - see the edit
Like I said glad you agree
Jono*
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Si tu dis la mot en englais avec 'to' aprés le verbe, c'est la même en français, alors 'de' n'est pas nécessaire. C'est facile si tu penses comme ça.
AlexaEJ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jono*)
Si tu dis la mot en englais avec 'to' aprés le verbe, c'est la même en français, alors 'de' n'est pas nécessaire. C'est facile si tu penses comme ça.
'Mot' en français, c'est feminine (donc, "le mot", ce n'est pas la mot) et il y a un accent grave dans le mot 'après'.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a pedant!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Who'd have guessed... If you'd spotted 'englais' you would have got the set.
Jono*
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'Mot' en français, c'est feminine (donc, "le mot", ce n'est pas la mot) et il y a un accent grave dans le mot 'après'.

Tu as raison, mon français écrit n'est pas bon. Normalement, je le parle juste
AlexaEJ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Who'd have guessed... If you'd spotted 'englais' you would have got the set.
Haha yes I guess that one went under the radarnothing wrong with that and trying to help people avoid repeating mistakes! As I'm doing a degree in modern languages I have a vested interest you see
(Original post by Jono*)
Tu as raison, mon français écrit n'est pas bon. Normalement, je le parle juste
Ce n'est pas un problème, moi j'utilise 'wordreference' pour la plupart des accords, les genres et les choses comme ça ! Je ne veux pas être méchante en soulignant les erreurs, tu comprends !
Jono*
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ce n'est pas un problème, moi j'utilise 'wordreference' pour la plupart des accords, les genres et les choses comme ça ! Je ne veux pas être méchante en soulignant les erreurs, tu comprends !
Je sais, j'utilise google translate pour les nouveaux mots 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
26.42%
No (78)
73.58%

Watched Threads