Enviromental Science vs Geography Watch

birdnerd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello everyone,
I'm currently choosing my A Levels. So far I have decided that I want to do Chemistry and Biology, and for my third either Enviromental Science or Geography (both full A Levels). What do you think is more beneficial? I would like to study Biology at university, and I have particular interests in ecology, conservation and evolution.

There is also the chance to take four A Levels, so I could take both. However I was wondering if this would be too much work. I was also told that it was good to pick a humanities/essay based A Level for your fourth, to show variation - I was thinking philosophy and ethics?

Could anyone who is sutdying any of these courses tell me what they are like, workload, how useful they are e.g.? It would be much apprciated
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by birdnerd)
Hello everyone,
I'm currently choosing my A Levels. So far I have decided that I want to do Chemistry and Biology, and for my third either Enviromental Science or Geography (both full A Levels). What do you think is more beneficial? I would like to study Biology at university, and I have particular interests in ecology, conservation and evolution.

There is also the chance to take four A Levels, so I could take both. However I was wondering if this would be too much work. I was also told that it was good to pick a humanities/essay based A Level for your fourth, to show variation - I was thinking philosophy and ethics?

Could anyone who is sutdying any of these courses tell me what they are like, workload, how useful they are e.g.? It would be much apprciated
I did Geography at A Level and Environmental Studies at AS (I dropped it at A2), so I might be able to help (though it has been a few years since I did them so the content might've changed by now)

Environmental Science would be more suited to your interests, particularly conservation and ecology. It's got quite a bit of biology-related content in it, e.g. wildlife & biodiversity conservation methods, ecological processes and biogeochemical cycles. You'll also study topics which overlap more with geography and geology, such as climate change, water management, mineral resources, energy, sustainability and pollution.

Geography is an essay-based subject, and the content is quite different to environmental science. Geography courses have physical and human geography components which vary between exam boards; on the physical side you might study topics like plate tectonics, hazards, climate change, rivers, coasts, glacial environments etc. On the human side you might do topics such as migration, population change, rural and urban areas, regeneration and sustainability in terms of cities, food, and energy.

I think both are beneficial for a biology degree; but the main things to consider in my opinion are course content, and assessment style - would you prefer generally short answer exam questions (environmental science) or longer essays (geography)?

I hope that helps
Jess_Panic!ATD
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
just so you know, chemistry and biology, chem in particular, are incredibly difficult and time-consuming so i wouldn't recommend doing 4 a levels
A02ft1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Isn’t Environmental Science the same as Physical Geography?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (52)
12.97%
Yes - a food allergy (43)
10.72%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
2.74%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.24%
No (286)
71.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed