Medicine Clearing for 2019 Entry Watch

ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
This is the thread for Medicine Clearing 2019 Entry

bobwibbles have compiled a must-read post which I have put in italics here.

If you wanted to rep please go to post 46 and give him rep and not me!

"Hello , (I can now say i am a current first year medic)
Some may remember my thread back in summer 2018, I have recieved quite a few DMs regarding this.
So to clear it all up and let the people know this is how you should prepare for medicine in clearing in any cycle. (also procrastinating so thought id do something beneficial for others)

First of all, dont rely on UCAS search for medicine courses in clearing, go directly on University websites, if I didnt do this I wouldnt be at University today. (Ucas search definitely doesnt include everything)

Secondly, you can start looking for courses in clearing after mid July, around the 15th and do the usual email/call to each University asking if Medicine is going into clearing. Or just to be safe have a quick skim through in the start of July on every university website on their medicine page to make sure.

Thirdly, yes all offers are given after interview, it is still just as intense competition if not even more competitive to get a place. Otherwise this will be hugely unfair.

The criteria to get an interview in clearing at each respective university is also the same as it was during that application cycle or in some cases higher.
You still need a current UKCAT score for medicine in clearing.
When it comes to the point where the University confirms that medicine is in clearing for their course, each university may have a different application process, for example some uses a form that you fill in and email back to them, and some may have a direct online application form, but in all cases you can call afterwards if you want to confirm if they got your details.
Interviews are given usually quite promptly after submitting your details e.g. a few days (but obviously this will always vary)
Offers are given in my experience around a week after (again will always vary)
And also they rank your interview score etc.. as they usually would in the normal application cycle and give offers to those with the highest scores.

FAQ:
How many places are there?
Not a huge amount for example at Leicester there was 10 places for 64 interviews (data from FOI Request)
Can I sit my ukcat in the summer for clearing?
Yes, thats what I done to boost my score.
Can I apply to the same university I got rejected from in clearing?
You can give it a go but I think they will reject you again and look for someone else but I also know someone who managed to do that for keele after impressing at interview after previously being rejected so in any case always give it a go.
Can I get in with AAB?
Now.. most Universities are still looking for standard requirements of either AAA or A*AA etc.
Can I use clearing as a backup incase I miss my grades on results day?
No, refer to above.
What are your grades?
AAA Biol Chem Maths
2610 Band 2 (SGUL cut off 2590)
10A 1D* 1B
Where did you have interviews at?
St Georges
Leicester
When are interviews held?
I did them last year one on 30th July one on 3rd August 2018
Where did you get offers from?
Both
Where you now?
Leics
How should I prepare for my clearing interviews?
Use past interview questions for respective Universities,
Use Marian Colls book ( i used it and it was helpful - not advertising hehe)
Be confident in the fact you got an interview and another chance to make it.

And if that isnt enough to reassure you, heres how my Leicester interview experience was.
Night before we booked into Victoria hotel, that was our greatest mistake, yes it was near the University. But it smelt mouldy, the beds were covered in filth, the mattresses spring was gone on one side, the windows were so old and wouldnt open enough to get adequate air in. It was a very hot night and so I couldnt sleep and I was up from 12 to 7 am struggling to sleep. Regardless I got my suit on and left as soon as possible in the morning. It was fair to say I felt like I have already failed my interview as I was sleep deprived bearing in mind my family stayed over too at this hotel! feeling sorry for them.
During the interview I felt like I could have said so many different things.
After the interview I sat and googled medicine in europe as I felt like UK is too competitive for me.
1 week later - a life changing offer.

You can do this !"

^^ please reply or give rep to bobwibbles
Last edited by ecolier; 2 months ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Sella)
Hi,
Just thought of having this tread for Medicine clearing discussion and helping each other during our difficult period.

Good luck to everyone for your dream to become a doctor. However I am sure this page will help someone during their difficult period. I would appreciate, if you could share the details here, what you have collected from others.

Hope some of the students who used clearing to secure a medicine seat will also share their experience. Since you already experienced this route, please provide tips.....Thanks.
Clearing doesn’t open until next July :confused:
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Sella)
Hi,
Just thought of having this tread for Medicine clearing discussion and helping each other during our difficult period.

Good luck to everyone for your dream to become a doctor. However I am sure this page will help someone during their difficult period. I would appreciate, if you could share the details here, what you have collected from others.

Hope some of the students who used clearing to secure a medicine seat will also share their experience. Since you already experienced this route, please provide tips.....Thanks.
As said, the medical UCAS deadline has just passed and you are thinking clearing?! Talk about being pessimistic!

If you wanted to know what happened about 2 - 3 months ago (Medicine Clearing for 2018), go to this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5377422
Studio ghibli
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Will I be able to get into St. George’s for medicine through clearing even though I have an offer from eg HYMS?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Studio ghibli)
Will I be able to get into St. George’s for medicine through clearing even though I have an offer from eg HYMS?
Do you know how Clearing works? If not read https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/r.../what-clearing

If you declined that HYMS offer / all offers so you have no offers by July, then yes you can go through Clearing for (any) medical school which happens to offer it.

From 5 July to 23 October, you can apply for a course using Clearing if you’re not already holding an offer from a university or college, and the course still has places.

You can use Clearing if:
  • you’re applying after 30 June (doesn't apply to you)
  • you didn’t receive any offers (or none you wanted to accept)
  • you didn’t meet the conditions of your offers (you wouldn't know yet)

This thread will remain locked until early / middle of next year when people have actually received 4 rejections / turned down their offers, and they start to think about Clearing.
med2002
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi all,

I'm a Scottish school leaver and applied to university for 2019 entry. Unfortunately I've been rejected by all 4 of my choices and although my next step is to do really well in my exams in May and then take a gap year, I am still going to look into Clearing for 2019 entry because I would very much rather go straight into medicine this year than have to take a year out.

I was wondering if there's anyone on the same boat as me? Don't really know how Clearing works or if all universities do it but as Dundee is my first choice I would really hope to get place there. I'll probably try phoning up as well on results day if I get the results I need.

Here are my stats:

UKCAT: 625.5 Band 3
Scottish Highers: 7As
Predicted Grades: 1A and 2Bs at Advanced Higher, A at Higher
Applied to: Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews
Siaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
At clearing are unis strict with AAA or AAB can also try?
Shapsharks
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anyone know what universities are going into Clearing for medicine / when?
thatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Just to provide a bit of context, medical schools only actually entered clearing just 3 years ago so it's not guaranteed it will happen again...

It is likely that if it does happen generally they will offer places to those who have already been interviewed and were unsuccessful in the absence of concerning features. This is because it is against admission standards to admit applicants without interview.
Siaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thatonethere)
Just to provide a bit of context, medical schools only actually entered clearing just 3 years ago so it's not guaranteed it will happen again...

It is likely that if it does happen generally they will offer places to those who have already been interviewed and were unsuccessful in the absence of concerning features. This is because it is against admission standards to admit applicants without interview.
Interviewed at any uni or to that particular uni gone into clearing?
thatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Siaa)
Interviewed at any uni or to that particular uni gone into clearing?
Likely at that uni - for example it would hardly seem fair if you were on the reserve list for say, Leeds and they offered the place to someone who didn't have an interview there.
Siaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Likely at that uni - for example it would hardly seem fair if you were on the reserve list for say, Leeds and they offered the place to someone who didn't
If a uni has a reserve list then why will they be open for clearing in the first place?
Unis will then simply use their reserve list to send offers without the hassle of clearing.
Does that make sense?
thatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Siaa)
If a uni has a reserve list then why will they be open for clearing in the first place?
Unis will then simply use their reserve list to send offers without the hassle of clearing.
Does that make sense?
Presumably so - unless they do extra interviews? I'm not sure, I've don't think Leeds ever have but perhaps other unis have done extra interviews around clearing?
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Uni's who entered medicine clearing last year held additional interviews a week or two after A level results day. Making offers to candidates who have already been interviewed does not require "clearing".
Saltystud3nt
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has anyone found any universities in UCAS extra for medicine?
MEQuesta
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Lancaster
(Original post by Saltystud3nt)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Saltystud3nt)
https://digital.ucas.com/courses/det...micYearId=2019
and
https://digital.ucas.com/courses/det...micYearId=2019
Are still showing as having vacancies on UCAS course search.
You need to ring them to confirm whether that's accurate or whether they're listed by mistake before referring your application to them.
Untamed-child
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by med2002)
Hi all,

I'm a Scottish school leaver and applied to university for 2019 entry. Unfortunately I've been rejected by all 4 of my choices and although my next step is to do really well in my exams in May and then take a gap year, I am still going to look into Clearing for 2019 entry because I would very much rather go straight into medicine this year than have to take a year out.

I was wondering if there's anyone on the same boat as me? Don't really know how Clearing works or if all universities do it but as Dundee is my first choice I would really hope to get place there. I'll probably try phoning up as well on results day if I get the results I need.

Here are my stats:

i am in the same boat as well. my thread if you want to see it
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0#post82385870
Sooo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by med2002)
Hi all,

Here are my stats:

I think your UKCAT score is too low for Dundee. You have a similar score to my son and he was rejected by Dundee as having a too low score.
med2002
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sooo)
I think your UKCAT score is too low for Dundee. You have a similar score to my son and he was rejected by Dundee as having a too low score.
That would make sense. I was very disappointed and hopefully will improve it this year. Did your son get invited to attend an interview at Dundee? I know some universities don’t consider UKCAT after interviews but Dundee might have an overall score that considers UKCAT as well and I would understand that.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.91%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (97)
34.28%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.85%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.89%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
13.07%

Watched Threads