The Student Room Group

Can anyone help?

Hey so I have GAD ( general anxiety disorder ) and I'm suppose to be going on vacation in 2 days! I'm really really scared about flying but the flight is only an hour long. I keep having panic attacks about it because I heard about a terrible story on the news a few years ago and I've been to scared to go on vacation with my family and I finally agreed to go this year. Does anyone have any advice on how I can stop worrying. I have heard all the statistics on how safe flying is but nothing is reassuring me. Please help ):
Reply 1
Do you have any tips and tricks that you can use to help calm yourself down? Try to do those before and during the flight. Also, having something to distract you may help, for example you can download a film to watch on your phone or tablet etc., and before you know it you'll have landed before the film even finishes. Last resort may be to take some sleeping tablets, so you just sleep blissfully unaware of the whole journey. Also, flights are often shorter than stated, so you will most likely be flying for less than an hour, so it'll be over so fast for you!

Flying is really safe, I also don't like it, but when I am actually flying it is really easy to feel like you're on a bus. And the chances of someting catastrophic happening that cannot be averted is very very very small - a lot of airlines actually have a perfect record of no accidents.

But think of it this way - you're going on holiday! Once you get off the plane you're going to be in a completely new place, and you can just relax for a few days or however long you're going for, and it'll be awesome. That to me often makes the flights worth it - I flew 18 hours (with transfers) to Thailand, but the fact that I was going somewhere I have always wanted to go kept me going through and anticipating the journey ending.

Quick Reply

Latest