?
Report 7 months ago
Revise.....HARD
studyr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There's soooooo much content in Biology. I suggest summarising the content, such as for each chapter have maybe 10 (or less tbh) flash cards or pages of notes (which ever one you prefer) and go over them as often as you can (check the forgetting curve). Once you're confident with the content do many past papers because application is where you will get marks. Btw what exam board do you do and are you AS or A2?
From experience I think the CGP books are the best but everyone has a different preference. ALSO don't give up Biology is tough but once you give up on the content its long to catch up. Good LUCKKKK
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Know the complement system by heart.
bestgtg
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
stay on top of taking notes - that honestly helped me a lot during A2 and I was able to start doing past papers in early Feb
Hollybm
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Spend less time on TSR - it’s addictive and more time on Biology?!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mr.noname
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by studyr)
There's soooooo much content in Biology. I suggest summarising the content, such as for each chapter have maybe 10 (or less tbh) flash cards or pages of notes (which ever one you prefer) and go over them as often as you can (check the forgetting curve). Once you're confident with the content do many past papers because application is where you will get marks. Btw what exam board do you do and are you AS or A2?
From experience I think the CGP books are the best but everyone has a different preference. ALSO don't give up Biology is tough but once you give up on the content its long to catch up. Good LUCKKKK
I agree with him. Get the CGP revision guide, if you know everything in that revision guide off by heart and do enough past papers you'll easily get an A. Seriously get that revision guide you'll thank me later, it is made according to specification. This is especially the case if you do edexcel biology.
studyr
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Mr.noname)
I agree with him. Get the CGP revision guide, if you know everything in that revision guide off by heart and do enough past papers you'll easily get an A. Seriously get that revision guide you'll thank me later, it is made according to specification. This is especially the case if you do edexcel biology.
I do AQA and it works
Mr.noname
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by studyr)
I do AQA and it works
No lol I mentioned edexcel because the salters Nuffield book isn't easy to read imo. Everyone in my school hated it.
studyr
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Mr.noname)
No lol I mentioned edexcel because the salters Nuffield book isn't easy to read imo. Everyone in my school hated it.
Yeh the CGP books are really condensed and it has colour
Haroon_545
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Do loads of exam questions!
I’ve also been using learn biology net videos which I think are better than the private tutor I had - I enrolled and actually look forward to new lessons being added not everything is covered yet which is the only bad thing about it - still for £70 its better than anything else out there. I thought 70 quid was steep at first but now I find myself here all the time and the lessons are far better than anything I get at college!
OwwwLaaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
my other subjects (pe and psychology) are toooo easy compared to biology! I'm using learnbiology net revision course to help, found them on youtube then joined the course. said it was £58 but at check out they add f*ing vat so was £69.60 I though wtf... this is expensive. but then i started watching them and now i'm getting A's in all my homeworks. by far the best - everyone in class thinks i'm a genius or something
_101Student101_
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Biology is clearly a difficult a A Level, not so much understanding the work, more to do with the workload. But, there are ways to overcome the workload.

1. Create notes, I know this may be a generic answers, but it works. For instance, my teacher got everyone to do notes and them hand them in with every unit. And when it comes to the last 2 months before exams, this makes it a lot easier trying to revise (not having to find specifically where specific work is in a work book). Also, I used this technique with my other subjects, and it really does work for me.

2. Assess past papers, just simply have a look at what seems to always be in the exam. Although you must revise everything, some units are more frequent than others in exams. For instance, for Biology WJEC, I assessed their past 5 years and what they include in every exam. And it was clear that Biodiversity was a big part of it, so I revised a lot for that, and as expected about 25 marks were to do with Biodiversity

3. Do as many past papers as you can. Might sound simple, but trust me, getting used to the way you need to answer Biology questions is vital. It's a lot different to GCSE. You need to know what the question is asking, for instance, key words like "explain" or "suggest" can help you a lot.

4. Websites. If you're not sure with a piece of work in a unit, then researching into it online can help a lot. For instance, if you're unsure with Glycolysis or something, then there are plenty of YouTube videos available to help you.

5. Tutors. If you're really worried, then a tutor can be a good decision. I mean, they know what they'll be talking about, and if you're struggling in 1 unit more than others, then they could help a lot.

6. Tutor Websites - This option is way cheaper than getting a tutor, but for some can be just as effective. One example is SnapRevise, they have videos for every unit for AQA, EDEXCEL and OCR.

Hope this helped, but if you're worried now, then yes taking these steps will help you. But don't get too stressed, the work links in with each other, and you'll surely get it by the end.
HowardtheLara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by _101Student101_)
Biology is clearly a difficult a A Level, not so much understanding the work, more to do with the workload. But, there are ways to overcome the workload.

1. Create notes, I know this may be a generic answers, but it works. For instance, my teacher got everyone to do notes and them hand them in with every unit. And when it comes to the last 2 months before exams, this makes it a lot easier trying to revise (not having to find specifically where specific work is in a work book). Also, I used this technique with my other subjects, and it really does work for me.

2. Assess past papers, just simply have a look at what seems to always be in the exam. Although you must revise everything, some units are more frequent than others in exams. For instance, for Biology WJEC, I assessed their past 5 years and what they include in every exam. And it was clear that Biodiversity was a big part of it, so I revised a lot for that, and as expected about 25 marks were to do with Biodiversity

3. Do as many past papers as you can. Might sound simple, but trust me, getting used to the way you need to answer Biology questions is vital. It's a lot different to GCSE. You need to know what the question is asking, for instance, key words like "explain" or "suggest" can help you a lot.

4. Websites. If you're not sure with a piece of work in a unit, then researching into it online can help a lot. For instance, if you're unsure with Glycolysis or something, then there are plenty of YouTube videos available to help you.

5. Tutors. If you're really worried, then a tutor can be a good decision. I mean, they know what they'll be talking about, and if you're struggling in 1 unit more than others, then they could help a lot.

6. Tutor Websites - This option is way cheaper than getting a tutor, but for some can be just as effective. One example is SnapRevise, they have videos for every unit for AQA, EDEXCEL and OCR.

Hope this helped, but if you're worried now, then yes taking these steps will help you. But don't get too stressed, the work links in with each other, and you'll surely get it by the end.
yeah i follow all these steps - but i'm not a fan of SnapRevise, used Tailored tutors too - but my fav is LearnBiology Net... by the best but unfortunately not all topic on there yet still defo worth the money though
_101Student101_
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by HowardtheLara)
yeah i follow all these steps - but i'm not a fan of SnapRevise, used Tailored tutors too - but my fav is LearnBiology Net... by the best but unfortunately not all topic on there yet still defo worth the money though
Well, I mean at least you know for yourself what is the best website. And, I think the whole concept with Biology is really to achieve the best grades, you really do need to research into these topics through online papers or any additional information. I mean, for my AS levels, I was really confused with the Biochemistry bit, watched a couple YouTube videos (admittedly some weren't as reliable as others) and I ended up getting full marks in that paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (256)
32.08%
The paper was reasonable (390)
48.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (90)
11.28%
It was TERRIBLE (62)
7.77%

Watched Threads