The Student Room Group

Can I get a A-Level mathematics without sitting AS?

Hello, I am planning to take A-Level mathematics this year as a private candidate for university a application for 2019. Can I obtain a full A-Level without sitting AS exams or will AS be required? I don't quite understand how the A-Level system works as I took a BTEC at level 3.

Thanks
Reply 1
There is no need at take an AS. You can just do the A level.
Original post by lmrice
Hello, I am planning to take A-Level mathematics this year as a private candidate for university a application for 2019. Can I obtain a full A-Level without sitting AS exams or will AS be required? I don't quite understand how the A-Level system works as I took a BTEC at level 3.

Thanks

I think you're thinking of the old, modular A levels where you took 3 modules at AS and a further 3 at A2 to make a full A level?

This has all changed now. You sit a full A level after a two-year course. There's one set of examinations: three papers at the end of the course.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
I think you're thinking of the old, modular A levels where you took 3 modules at AS and a further 3 at A2 to make a full A level?

This has all changed now. You sit a full A level after a two-year course. There's one set of examinations: three papers at the end of the course.

Ok, that is great, I was definitely thinking of the old specification and that is what was making me confused. Thank you for clearing this up
Reply 4
Original post by lmrice
Ok, that is great, I was definitely thinking of the old specification and that is what was making me confused. Thank you for clearing this up

Hold on, I thought you had applied to Cambridge??
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=80223098
Original post by lmrice

You're welcome. :smile: The new specification of a two-year course has its own challenges, but I'm sure you'll get some sort of formal tuition if you're taking it as a private candidate, and he will be able to guide you.
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
You're welcome. :smile: The new specification of a two-year course has its own challenges, but I'm sure you'll get some sort of formal tuition if you're taking it as a private candidate, and he will be able to guide you.

What challenges are you referring to?
Original post by lmrice
What challenges are you referring to?

That you can't just do three modules and 'bank' them, as you could previously. Also, the old modular system worked in such a way that you could do magnificently on your AS modules (which are, of course, easier), bank the UMS marks and then only have to get a C grade on the second year's A2 modules to come out with an A overall. Now, you have to sit the whole qualification in a one-er, and whilst there's still easier content on the paper, it's not quite so simple to play the numbers game like it used to be.
Original post by lmrice

You are based in England aren't you?
Reply 9
@lmrice what are your actual circumstances? Elsewhere you say you are currently doing a foundation year. Are you sure you also need to study A-level Maths.

Where are you currently at university, and which foundation course are you doing?
Original post by Doonesbury
@lmrice what are your actual circumstances? Elsewhere you say you are currently doing a foundation year. Are you sure you also need to study A-level Maths.

Where are you currently at university, and which foundation course are you doing?

Hmmm...

Quick Reply

Latest