anon8427
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,

My English teacher gave back an essay today, starting by giving general feedback to the class; it was all negative points, which surprised me as all of my other teachers always find at least one positive point as well. She told us that she didn't like the "stylistic use of brackets" which seems bizarre as this is an example of varied punctuation which is specifically mentioned as a feature of a higher-level answer on the mark scheme and hence we would not be penalised for it in an exam. In addition, she claimed that the repetition of adjectives in creative work is "lazy and sloppy" and chose to demonstrate this by reading out a student's work from another class who she would deem to match this description.

I read my essay to find the comments were that it was "poorly argued", that my writing was "simplistic and unsophisticated", that she didn't "agree" with my opinion and that I "need to push" my "thinking further". I find this odd as these are comments which have never once been made to me before by any teacher. Additionally, I received a band 4 (out of a highest possible band 5) so I feel as though this was a rather overdramatic and negative response bearing in mind the grade I receieved, which would roughly equate to a B against an A level mark scheme as opposed to an AS level one. Furthermore, I feel that the comment about me needing to push my thinking is somewhat of a personal critique - to me it suggests that my thinking is currently one dimensional and underdeveloped, yet this is not reflected by my grade. She also said to me in front of my peers that she "knows this wasn't my best work", as though I would have made the concious decision to turn in poor work on purpose, yet offered no suggestions in light of any of these comments. She has also never taught me until now and so has no idea what my "best work" would be like. Because of this they all felt to me to be "half statements" as they served no purpose other than to pick apart my shortcomings - is it wrong of me to find this rude, seeing as I was offered no suggestions of how to improve?

I just generally dread her lessons as she is so unpredictable - at best they are precarious and at worst downright volatile as she appears to take pleasure in rapidly alternating between being lovely and extremely vindictive. As much as I love the subject I am considering dropping it as I find it so hard to get on with her teaching style. One student of high potential has already dropped it and situations such as this have reduced me and several other students to tears, so surely it can't just be me?

Apologies for the lengthy post! Any suggestions?
heyitsmika
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
All of her comments (including what she wrote) just sound like normal annotations to me. My teachers wrote the same things on some of my essays, even though they got high marks, and they just did that to help me and to push me to fully reach my potential.

I personally don't think your teacher sounds rude from what I read, but of course, perceptions and people are different. Maybe it would ease your mind and help you if you asked her for an appointment? You could go over your essay with her, and try to understand her intentions behind her comments.
Then you could also tell for example, that they intimidated you a little and see what the teachers response is
Adacic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Or ur just bad
BlackRose4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dont worry my advice is that you take that piece of work to another teacher and get that teachers view then compare if the other teacher says its good and you trust that teacher stick to what you are doing and always believe in your self read sample answers from higher students who achieved high marks and if its similar to their work then you know that what your doing is right so carry on with it and ina way ignore what the teacher says.
Always believe in yourself thats the key
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sounds like she has very high standards but perhaps isn't expressing them in the best possible way. In all kinds of work it's important to focus on both the positive and negative, focusing only on the negatives will only mean people's self esteem will suffer and they'll perform poorly as result. You clearly did write a fairly decent piece of work as well if you got a band 4 when the highest was a band 5. I would try not to take your teachers comments too personally, take her criticism onboard but remember that you, and only you, know what you are capable of. She won't be the one marking your exam papers luckily.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sometimes it's worth trying to learn how to work with people. This woman clearly won't be giving you lots of praise but if you let go of that and accept it doesn't make you bad you might gain some positives. A teacher like this can push you far if you let them. If you're not sure how to implement suggestions then ask. I don't think she's rude, just a bit lacking in empathy perhaps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (142)
62.01%
I don't have everything I need (87)
37.99%

Watched Threads