The Student Room Group

Lied on my cv about GCSE's and now I have a background check

So i got a really good apprenticeship at an amazing company, they offered me the job a few hours after the interview (mostly due to my language skills required for the role). I signed the contracts for the job and my start date is in a months time.
However, I have had to do a form in order to do a background check with a third party company. I told the truth on the form but i'm not sure if the company is going to compare it to my cv.
I said I had a C in maths and a B in English, when in reality I have a C in english and a D in maths. The only thing that reassures me is the fact that their requirements are only a D in maths and english GCSE.
I've also been fired from a previous job but I didnt lie about that.

Can they fire me due to this even though i've already signed the contracts ? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Yes
Reply 2
I think they can fire you but what I don't understand is why you lied when you already met the requirements?
Reply 3
Original post by Geek5
I think they can fire you but what I don't understand is why you lied when you already met the requirements?

The thing is I didnt mean to lie, I applied while I was abroad and I didn't have the exact grades and since I had done my GCSE's such a long time ago I just put in what I thought was right
Reply 4
Should I call them and say I realised there were a few errors on my cv due to not having the certificates at the time or will that make it worse?
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is I didnt mean to lie, I applied while I was abroad and I didn't have the exact grades and since I had done my GCSE's such a long time ago I just put in what I thought was right

So why didn't you say just you were abroad and you weren't sure of your grades and that you would need to check them? Why lie? And a lie is lie, whether you mean it or not. Just make sure you tell them first, before this third company does
Tell them the truth if i were you. It's better for them to find out from you than them finding out on their own.
You should if you want to keep your position with that company.
Tell them you applied with your predicted grades and you forgot to tell them about it.
Should have put "predicted" after the grades you wrote
Reply 10
So i got a really good apprenticeship at an amazing company, they offered me the job a few hours after the interview (mostly due to my language skills required for the role). I signed the contracts for the job and my start date is in a months time.
However, I have had to do a form in order to do a background check with a third party company. I told the truth on the form but i'm not sure if the company is going to compare it to my cv.
I said I had a C in maths and a B in English, when in reality I have a C in english and a D in maths. The only thing that reassures me is the fact that their requirements are only a D in maths and english GCSE.
I've also been fired from a previous job but I didnt lie about that.

Can they fire me due to this even though i've already signed the contracts ? :frown:

i don't know
I didn't have the exact grades and since I had done my GCSE's such a long time ago I just put in what I thought was right

To me this suggests that you did your GCSE examinations many years ago. Is this the case, or have you recently completed them?

Original post by bones-mccoy
Should have put "predicted" after the grades you wrote

See above.
Aren't background checks about criminal history, not academic performance? Its keep quiet and let it past
Reply 13
Should I call them and say I realised there were a few errors on my cv due to not having the certificates at the time or will that make it worse?

Tell them :yy:

It will be fine.

Original post by Guru Jason
Aren't background checks about criminal history, not academic performance? Its keep quiet and let it past

Nope. They can check academic credentials too.
Someone in their HR has to be really enthusiastic about their job to scan your paperwork just for the fun of doing cross checks now that your application is way past the initial stage. And if that happens then you are doomed.

But lets pray no one pays attention and that you can get through without troubles. Cuz at this point if you try to change your resume then that's also calling for trouble.

Also, this.
Reply 16
Just let them know the truth.
No one is going to check. No serious job is going to ask for your GCSE certificates. HR departments are busy.

A company can't just ring up and ask your school / exam board for your GCSE grades. GDPR, Data Protection Act 1998, etc

Just keep quiet about it and don't do it again.

SS
Everybody lies on CV, and trust me background check does not involve checking your GCSE grades :biggrin: They just go through your Credi Score, and criminal records, sometimes they check where you lived in the past 5 years but that's really only done if you want to work at the airport or something.
(edited 5 years ago)

Original post by Turquaz
Someone in their HR has to be really enthusiastic about their job to scan your paperwork just for the fun of doing cross checks now that your application is way past the initial stage. And if that happens then you are doomed.

But lets pray no one pays attention and that you can get through without troubles. Cuz at this point if you try to change your resume then that's also calling for trouble.

Original post by Turquaz
Also, this.

Original post by Supersaps
No one is going to check. No serious job is going to ask for your GCSE certificates. HR departments are busy.

A company can't just ring up and ask your school / exam board for your GCSE grades. GDPR, Data Protection Act 1998, etc

Just keep quiet about it and don't do it again.

SS

Original post by BFG9000
Everybody lies on CV, and trust me background check does not involve checking your GCSE grades :biggrin: They just go through your Credi Score, and criminal records, sometimes they checked where you lived in the past 5 years but that's really only done if you want to work at the airport or something.

You folks need to get a few more jobs in more interesting roles under your belt.

There's a reason public exams are called public exams, companies can check them.

If a company bothers to be explicit that they want certain grades, then there is a strong chance they will check.

If a company pays a 3rd party organisation to check, then the check will be even more thorough and detailed, that's why you pay someone else who has immediate and knowlegeable access to the data to check for you.

If you are found to have lied in any material part of a job application, and if they have asked for specific grades then that is a material part, then it is grounds for instant dismissal.

Latest