The Student Room Group

People's Vote March - 700,000 people attend London protest

Poll

Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45925542

Hundreds of thousands today marched through London demanding a referendum on the final Brexit deal.

I went to the march myself. The 700,000 figure sounds absolutely right. What amazed me the most was how diverse the crowd was. I had been expecting a predominantly young crowd (given the stereotype of 'snowflake liberal lefty remoaners'). As it turns out at least a half of the people there were middle aged and over with a huge number easily being at or above 60.

Did anyone else attend? What are your thoughts on this?

Personally I don't expect this will change anything, sadly, although as a life/democratic experience it was amazing.

(Starting a thread here, as the one under the UK Politics forum is a bit uncivilised... to say the least)

Scroll to see replies

The older people want a vote on the deal so that they can reject it. Whether the UK will still be "allowed" to leave, after that, well it'll be just what the EU wanted. :wink:
Original post by SHallowvale
(Starting a thread here, as the one under the UK Politics forum is a bit uncivilised... to say the least)

my thread was civilised actually but go off i guess

i wanted to go but unfortunately didn't realise this was happening. how do people even find out about protests anyway? if it wasn't for tsr i wouldn't even know about the trump protest :frown: anyway we shouldn't have a second referendum this is a ridiculous idea because britain voted to leave anyway and we should go ahead with the decision
Original post by rainclouds-
my thread was civilised actually but go off i guess

i wanted to go but unfortunately didn't realise this was happening. how do people even find out about protests anyway? if it wasn't for tsr i wouldn't even know about the trump protest :frown: anyway we shouldn't have a second referendum this is a ridiculous idea because britain voted to leave anyway and we should go ahead with the decision

I found out through family myself. Depending on the circles you're in you might not have heard about it.

Do you think we should have a vote on the final deal? I voted remain and I accept that we'll be leaving however I would like to vote on whatever deal the EU agrees with the UK. We only voted on leaving the EU remember, we didn't vote on the terms thereafter.
Original post by SHallowvale
I found out through family myself. Depending on the circles you're in you might not have heard about it.

Do you think we should have a vote on the final deal? I voted remain and I accept that we'll be leaving however I would like to vote on whatever deal the EU agrees with the UK. We only voted on leaving the EU remember, we didn't vote on the terms thereafter.

Fair enough.

Everyone seems to be so angry about the results of the 2016 EU referendum so yes, I think we should have a vote on the final deal. Hopefully now citizens have a greater understanding of the consequences and we try to figure out a solution. I didn't vote and I can't vote if there is a vote on the final deal either so heh relying on the adults to make the right decisions for my future. No pressure.
What a bunch of democracy lovers; firstly they can’t accept the result of a democratic referendum and now 700k think their view should be imposed upon the entire electorate
(edited 5 years ago)
I don't mind a second referendum.

After brexit has happened... go for it.

Its fully democratic to want a second vote - and to constantly campaign for what you want..

Go for it (after brexit has happened).

(If you wan't to do it before brexit has happened? Not a chance, undemocratic as hell, and would result in an even bigger cultural and political mess than we have now)
It was a fantastic day - hard to believe the government can continue to stick their fingers in their ears and their tongues out at us.

Most people don't want a second referendum on the in/out question, but a deal that won't wreck the UK - which at the moment is where the government are heading.
Also lots of people talking about how they had changed their minds from Leave to Remain, now that they've learned more about what Leave would actually mean.
From today's news:

"A pro-Brexit counter-protest in Harrogate, organised by Nigel Farage, was attended by roughly 1,200 people."

:rofl:
Interesting that Alistar Campbell supported this, a man who nobody elected that ignored a march of 1 million over Iraq...
Original post by Andrew97
Interesting that Alistar Campbell supported this, a man who nobody elected that ignored a march of 1 million over Iraq...

His argument on that is that the Iraq war was an internationally agreed move, with UN support, although both are somewhat tendentious, especially given that the US and the UK presented deliberately fabricated evidence to the UN on weapons of mass destruction. Ah well, you can't have everyone on the good side of the argument with totally clean hands.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
From today's news:

"A pro-Brexit counter-protest in Harrogate, organised by Nigel Farage, was attended by roughly 1,200 people."

:rofl:

Aye, cos it was in Harrogate with the population of roughly 1,201 people.
Original post by Notoriety
Aye, cos it was in Harrogate with the population of roughly 1,201 people.

From the 'pedia:

"The town of Harrogate had a population of 71,594 at the 2001 UK census;[5][6] the urban area comprising Harrogate and nearby Knaresborough had a population of 85,128, while the figure for the much wider Borough of Harrogate, comprising Harrogate, Knaresborough, Ripon, as well as a number of smaller settlements and a large rural area, was 151,339.[7]"

You'd think he might have managed at least a couple of thousand. :teehee:
From the 'pedia:

"The town of Harrogate had a population of 71,594 at the 2001 UK census;[5][6] the urban area comprising Harrogate and nearby Knaresborough had a population of 85,128, while the figure for the much wider Borough of Harrogate, comprising Harrogate, Knaresborough, Ripon, as well as a number of smaller settlements and a large rural area, was 151,339.[7]"

You'd think he might have managed at least a couple of thousand. :teehee:

Not really. I am surprised it was so high -- who really has the inclination to attend rallies in this day and age, especially where your side has already won.

It, to me, is just a deliberately daft argument to compare a rally in Harrogate versus a rally in London. The latter not only has more people (by a factor of 100), but also has more middle-class gobshites(/students) prone to rallying.

Most people don't want a second referendum on the in/out question, but a deal that won't wreck the UK - which at the moment is where the government are heading.

would staying in be on the ballot?

I could be behind a referendum on the final deal if staying in wasn't on the ballot (because then its not a referndum on the deal, its an in/out question again, which shouldn't happen until the last decision has at least been enacted).

My problem is that when I watch the politicans in favour of it, on question time and the like - they really really do not want to rule out having remain as an option, and it comes across as decietful - hence why people accus them of trying to find a route back into the EU, and not as they claim, just voting on the deal.
Reply 16
It was a fantastic day - hard to believe the government can continue to stick their fingers in their ears and their tongues out at us.

It's not hard to believe at all. A few hundred thousand liberal boomers whinging and whining in central London does not trump the electoral will of 17million people.
Down with democracy - we need Trump to annex the UK and finally get us out of the god awful EU. Metaphorically, these nerds should be first against the wall!
Second referendum with leave/remain options once we know what the deal is/isn't. Thanks.
Original post by Underscore__
What a bunch of democracy lovers; firstly they can’t accept the result of a democratic referendum and now 700k think their view should be imposed upon the entire electorate

Maybe you can answer this because every other Brexiteer I ask manages to ignore it.

How is proposing to have a democratic referendum anti democratic?

The argument seems to be based on the idea that you can't have 2 votes on the same thing which would make 2016s referendum election undemocratic and every government in the last 220 years illegitimate.

Quick Reply

Latest